• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

Monday 8, October 2007

Wisdom

“…we need to abandon the idea that wisdom is knowing everything—the whys, the wherefores, the how-tos. Wisdom is often more subtle, both far simpler and exceedingly more complex. For wisdom requires the discerning, the listening to, the acknowledgement of nudges and notions, of senses and sensations, of the minute and what we often mistakenly assume is the mundane. Wisdom means listening to the still, small voice, the whisper that can be easily lost in the whirlwind of busyness, expectations, and conventions of the world….”

— Jean M. Blomquist

“Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.”

— Dale Dauten

“To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.”

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jax
    Keymaster

My favorite part of this one is from the Emerson quote.
    “To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road…”  To find the journey’s end in every step of the road – what a profound statement.  This can only happen when you live in the now, and are one with yourself and everything else.  This is a perfect statement for me, after a weekend of aikido seminars where we focused constantly on becoming one with our body and our opponent.  :-)

seeker125
    Participant

I think that the begining of wisdom, is when we realise that in spite of all our learning and education, we know very little. :yoda

Jax
    Keymaster

Yes, that is part.  But if we stop there, we haven’t gotten very far.  ;-)  That’s why I like this quote, as it makes it very simple, yet we all know it isn’t simple to do.  Plus, during my aikido seminar our master mentioned that if you’re thinking about what you’re going to do to the person, you are now in the future, rather than the now, and you are disconnected – no longer one.  Then your aikido will be ineffective.  It’s a nice theme for the weekend.  :-)

seeker125
    Participant

Oh yes, I absolutely agree. As I said it’s just a beginning, we should try to go on learning for as long as we live and sites such as this help motivate us to do so. :yoda
    Oh, by the way I do love your daily Guru postings. :med2

Jax
    Keymaster

Thanks.  All I do is copy them from my email.  :-)  So someone out there is quite useful writing those.  lol

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here