• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

##########################################
    PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE TO AS MANY PEOPLE
    AS YOU KNOW, TO HELP US IN OUR MISSION TO RAISE
    THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE

To “SUBSCRIBE” to TheDailyGuru, visit this link:-
    http://www.TheDailyGuru.com

##########################################

Friday 21, September 2007

Beware of duty

“Should is an ordinary, everyday word — except when it is used to indicate an order that may not be refused. Then should becomes a finger waving under the nose. …Should users build prison cells for themselves. They are so focused on what they should do — that they cannot think about what they can do, what they might do in the future.”

— Dr. Arthur Freeman and Rose Dewolf

Many of us have been taught to do our duty. What does this imply to you? For me, ‘doing my duty’ means doing something I really don’t want to do. My heart’s not in it, and so the energy for the act isn’t there. I have to force every move. Usually, there’s underlying resentment. When this is the scenario, tasks may get done but there’s no gift to the world.

We do not truly serve the world if we give to others but neglect our own truth and our own needs. It’s only when our own needs are fully met that we can generously and whole-heartedly give of ourselves. It’s not selfish to look after ourselves — it’s essential!

“To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart.”

— Pearl S. Buck

Beral Khan
    Participant
    Quote:
    It’s only when our own needs are fully met that we can generously and whole-heartedly give of ourselves. It’s not selfish to look after ourselves — it’s essential!

“To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart.”

— Pearl S. Buck

In the most respect possible, I offer the following.

Duty: obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from one’s position (as in life or in a group) ~ from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

One truly, in my opinion, only has a duty to something or someone when a responsibility has been placed upon them or taken by choice.

Examples:
    A parent, whether they chose to be a parent or not, has a duty to their child.
    A child, by the very nature of having been born, has a duty to their parents.
    In our volunteer military, anyone who swears the oath, has a duty to follow where they are lead.
    Teachers have a duty to their students by choosing that path.
    Students have a duty to their teachers to do their best.
    Members of the community have a duty to those within it to keep their part of the community clean and safe.
    Communities have a duty to its members to support them as individuals to help keep them safe.

Duty is, in my opinion, NOT a four letter word of vulgarity.
    Yes, one should serve with a glad heart.
    The problem, in my opinion, does not come from what is asked, but from being mature enough to know we do what we can, and what we must, and to do it gladly is a blessing on the individual.

As to taking care of ones self, yes, it is essential.  However, in my opinion, as a parent, as a care giver to my father, and often through my community work, I am asked to give, even required in the first two roles, more than I have available at times.  I don’t get a choice as a parent or care giver for my father. 

In those cases, I feel it important to note that our responsibilities do, and will, many times out weigh our ability to ensure we are taken care of before them.  I do this gladly.  There was a time when I wouldn’t.  But the benefits from doing so has its own rewards.

Icarus
    Participant

Beral Khan,

I couldn’t agree more with you!

Also, I would like to add that duty is something that has not been taught to the majority of our society. Duty is not a dirty word. Duty comes from being able to do something. If a person is able to make a situation better, but refuses to do so, then they have not fulfilled their duties and that is WRONG! Duty is responsibility, for being able and for the promises that we make. If we swear an oath, then that’s that. We have an obligation to continue on with that. The trick is only accepting the duty that a person really, really, really believes in.

Anonymous

There is duty, there is “our cause” and between perhaps is…fidelity?

There are many “causes” I cannot get myself behind, it does not speak to me.  But were this “cause” be before me in my own neighborhood I would, in duty, throw myself behind it.  But that is because of my “fidelity” to my community.

I find the yuppy “fad” of “causes” rather shallow.  Perhaps it does some good “while the cause is in style” and maybe that is enough?  Maybe that’s as good as it’s going to get?  But I do wonder if the classical virtues that were left behind in the societal generations after WW2 (to be studied in school or even the Scouting programs, etc.) we have lost the nuances and understanding of our place in society?

I do my duty daily…much of the time doing what I’d rather not do…but I do have a fidelity to my job and all involved within it.  I have this for my family.  I have this for my community, etc..  I also have “fidelity” to ideals and … I guess “Hopes”?

Fidelity is made up of our memories, our pasts, our thoughts, it is not made up out of ideals of someone else or people we do not know.  We continue faithfully doing what we do out of that “love” of our pasts.  Is it so strange that we do not have this feeling for an idea or project that has never touched us?

(Hope that makes sense?…for some reason doing Jedi training has led me back to studying the Classics of Egypt/Greece and Rome…).

-Asta Sophi

niki disaster
    Participant
    Quote:
    Duty is, in my opinion, NOT a four letter word of vulgarity.
    Yes, one should serve with a glad heart.
    The problem, in my opinion, does not come from what is asked, but from being mature enough to know we do what we can, and what we must, and to do it gladly is a blessing on the individual.

That seems very black and white.
    It is the DUTY of a person serving in compulsory military service to KILL when commanded.
    It is the DUTY of a policeman to arrest a teenager for doing something wrong when that teenager would be far less likely to do it again if the policeman reasoned with the teenager.
    It is the DUTY of a doctor to refuse to grant someone in unimaginable amounts of pain euthanasia.

The only DUTY a person should accept willingly is one that he/she is willing to do and believes in the purpose for which he/she does it.

Jax
    Keymaster

Yet people in those positions make decisions that are contrary to orders every day.  As a Marine I was taught to follow orders, but if an order is wrong then we are to stand up to it.  We just better be right!  So even within duty there is room for discretion.  However, the key point is that when you accept a duty you do so fully, rather than begrudgingly. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here