• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tai-Da
    Participant

Hello everyone

Been thinking about the future as you do now and then. I have always had a thing for living like a cowboy. Living off the land, taking care of cattle, horses, crop etc.

I was looking for someone to give me some insight.

Does anyone here live the life of a rancher. What are the pro’s and con’s.

Whats hard what is easy.

:)

Would be good if anyone can give me some insight.

Thanks

One-Winged Angel
    Participant
    Quote:
    Hello everyone

Been thinking about the future as you do now and then. I have always had a thing for living like a cowboy. Living off the land, taking care of cattle, horses, crop etc.

I was looking for someone to give me some insight.

Does anyone here live the life of a rancher. What are the pro’s and con’s.

Whats hard what is easy.

:)

Would be good if anyone can give me some insight.

Thanks

I grew up on a farm. It’s all “bust-ass work” (read: manual labor). Once I finished high school, I frequently was up and out the door at 4:00 in the morning. Lots of repairing fences & plowing fields in the dead middle of Oklahoma summer (where the temperature frequently hits 103 Fahrenheit, at 80% humidity), teaching yourself out to repair this busted part or that on ancient farm equipment, trudging through 450 acres of woods and creeks to seek out that one sheep or cow that managed to get itself separated from the rest of the herd, and getting kicked by my horse… a few times.

The benefits, of course, include isolation from the rest of the world – which comes in handy if you’re not much of a people-person. I certainly miss the peace and quiet sometimes – as well as the ability to just walk around at night, without having your neighbors think you’re a loon, thief, drug addict, or some other underworld type.

Of course, there are no “real” cowboys left anymore. Modern technology (i.e., the automobile, combined with a trailer) made them essentially obsolete.

Jax
    Keymaster

The real question to ask yourself at this point is why?  What draws you to the cowboy lifestyle, especially considering you don’t know much about it?  That means you like the idea of it – what ideas are those?  And how can you incorporate those into your life, or fill that need in another way?  I know why I’m drawn to these sorts of things, but I won’t contaminate your process with mine. ;-)

Tai-Da
    Participant

Well I have always been a “Country Loon” which mean a country boy. I have spent most of my life out in the country, doing manual labour not sitting behind a desk and watching TV. I love the outdoors. I like looking after horses, and animals. I see people who work on farms, and ranches and I feel a warmth in my heart. Its what i admire. I see these qualities in my self. Seeing those I admire doing it reflects my own potential.

Jax
    Keymaster

But what distinguishes cowboys from farmers?  And why cowboys, which are distinctly American, vs a local farmer?

Tai-Da
    Participant

Ye but the folks I admire were those in the films. I know it sounds like I am following a film fantasy but I know I am not. I have been to america a few times, I love the climate, the people, the feeling. I just have this dream of being a rancher in america, some place near tombstone in Arizona.

Jax
    Keymaster

lol, don’t take this the wrong way, but America is huge.  There are a myriad of climates, peoples, etc. And Arizona is the last place I think of when I think of a place that’d accept a foreigner coming in to ranch. Impossible? Not at all.  It’s just complicated.  But you know, that’s a long term dream or goal anyway, since it’s not cheap to buy and run a ranch.  So maybe it is in your future. :-)  Even if it isn’t, there are a lot of ‘dude ranches’ where you can go as a tourist and live a version of the cowboy life for a time.  That’s something more possible in your near future and would give you a much better idea of whether the lifestyle is right for you.  Have you seen City Slickers? If not, it’s quite amusing and would give you a different view of ‘ranch life’. hehe

Kol Drake

Dream big and work toward it.

It is not our place to burst anyone’s dream bubble about ‘what might be’.  Research it; shoot for it; see how it goes… but, do be aware that the life of a ‘cowboy’ is mostly NOT what you see on movies. 

One-Winged Angel
    Participant
    Quote:
    Dream big and work toward it.

It is not our place to burst anyone’s dream bubble about ‘what might be’.  Research it; shoot for it; see how it goes… but, do be aware that the life of a ‘cowboy’ is [strike]mostly[/strike] absolutely NOT what you see on movies.  

Fixed it!  :meditate

And, you’re right Kol. Get after it, Tai-Da!  :fight

Tai-Da
    Participant

Oh I know that following a big dream like that is mostly setting me up for dissapointement but I take a different view of chasing the dream. I know that a cowboys life style aint what it was in the old wild west.

I want to experience what it’s like now, visit historic places. I don’t want to live as and old westerner like Wyatt Earp or Doc Holliday. I would rather be more modern and learn the history visit the places, experience being on a ranch and all.

Thats the true dream. One that isn’t going to set me up for dissapointment. Well atleast not as much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here