• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

We’ve had a lot of discussion, but no conclusion so let’s just start with a new vote with the most popular options.  Please leave a comment if you feel it necessary – but don’t rehash the same arguments as before.  Try to state things differently if possible so the discussion is moving forward instead of spinning in circles. :-) 

Option 1:Condensed/Expanded Version
    Latest revision
    *This is just a first draft, and rather rough, but it is a sampling of what I think could be done.*

The purpose of this document is to provide a definition that is at the same time concise and broad enough that a person would have a good picture of the various Jedi paths as we see it.  It is merely a guide, not a set of laws.  We hope you find it of use.

The term Jedi Realist is used to distinguish the Jedi of the real world from the Jedi of fiction.  Jedi Realists often prefer to leave the Realist portion of the name implied for simplicity.  Within this document, the term Jedi refers to Jedi Realists.

Definition: Jedi are people who seek to emulate the Jedi Knights as presented in the fictional Star Wars universe by embracing the Jedi’s virtues and strengths and expressing them in the real world.  Jedi are called by the Force to direct their actions and passions in a direction that serves Life, seeking to embody the principles outlined in the Core
    Values, and constantly pursuing self-development and training in all areas of mastery, including mental, physical, spiritual and psychic.

A Jedi…
    1. Places trust in the Force.
    2. Strives to harmonize all aspects of life through by disciplining Mind, Body, and Spirit.
    3. Acknowledges emotions without allowing them to alter their actions or vision
    4. Approaches life with courage and honesty,
    5. Cultivates an attitude of benevolence
    6. Accepts a responsibility to pass on their knowledge and experience to willing students of the Force

Expanding on these points, a Jedi…
    1. Places trust in the Force.

A Jedi, first and foremost, believes in the existence of the Force and the inner strength and guidance it provides.  Some may view the Force as God, with consciousness, or as a Universal Energy, with or without consciousness.  At the Institute we seek to deepen our knowledge and understanding of the Force.

2. Strives to harmonize all aspects of life through by disciplining Mind, Body, and Spirit.

A Jedi understands that their path is one that seeks to balance the whole Self, rather than focusing on just one area of self development.  Therefore they discipline and train the mind to gain knowledge, a strong will and serenity, the body to develop and maintain health and wellness, and the spirit through a conscious connection to the Force, which fosters discretion and wisdom.

3. Acknowledges emotions without allowing them to alter their actions or vision.

The Jedi path is not one of no emotion, but of a healthy emotional life.  Through the understanding of our emotions we become more balanced human beings, capable of navigating life while choosing our actions rather than reacting blindly to emotional stimulus.

4. Approaches life with courage and honesty.

Jedi understand that at some point, everyone experiences fear in their life.  In order to reach their goals and help others, life requires courage.  They also understand that, without self honesty, growth is slow.  To be successful on the Jedi path, the two must go hand in hand to maintain forward growth.

5. Cultivates an attitude of benevolence

A Jedi respects and defends life in all its forms, which requires the greater wisdom the Force provides.  The goal is to foster environments where peace and justice can thrive, which requires compassion and patience toward others as well as the self.  In this way the world around us grows and evolves, further benefiting Life. 

6. Accepts the responsibility to pass on their knowledge to willing students of the Force.

If a Jedi does not pass along what they learn to others, they limit their ability to affect positive change in the world.  We recognize not everyone is a natural teacher, but everyone is capable of passing along knowledge in their own way.  In addition, everyone can learn to be more effective as a mentor and teacher, which further aids their growth as a Jedi, bringing the path full circle.
    Option 2 and 3 – Lists
    The other two options are the original list form, with some variation.  They would have a Jedi defined separately.  We can discuss defining a Jedi in a separate thread (which is good fun anyway).  Please focus just on the Core Values portion itself. 

Jedi Realist is a term meant to distinguish the Jedi of the
    real world from the Jedi of fiction, often shortened to
    Jedi, leaving the term Realist implied.

Jedi are people who seek to emulate the Jedi Knights as
    presented in the fictional Star Wars universe by embracing
    the Jedi’s virtues and strengths and expressing them in the
    real world.  Jedi are called by the Force to direct their
    actions and passions in a direction that serves humanity,
    seeking to embody the principles outlined in the Core
    Values, and constantly pursuing self-development and
    training in all areas of mastery, including mental,
    physical, spiritual and psychic.

Then, the Core Values are presented. 

Option 2
    A Jedi:
    1. Has faith and confidence in the Force and the inner strength and guidance it provides,
    2. Disciplines and trains the mind to gain knowledge, a strong will and serenity,
    3. Disciplines and trains the body to develop and maintain health and wellness,
    4. Disciplines and trains the spirit through a conscious connection to the Force, gaining discretion and wisdom,
    5. Acknowledges emotions without allowing them to alter their actions or vision,
    6. Strives to achieve balance in all areas of life,
    7. Humbly undertakes service for the betterment of all,
    8. Fosters an environment where peace and justice can thrive,
    9. Respects and defends life in all its forms,
    10. Practices compassion and patience toward others as well as the self,
    11. Approaches life with courage and honesty,
    12. Views the world critically and objectively, with a willingness to challenge conventional thinking.
    13. Accepts the responsibility to pass on their knowledge to willing students of the Force.

Option 3
    A Jedi:
    1. Has faith and confidence in the Force and the inner strength and guidance it provides,
    2. Disciplines and trains the mind to gain knowledge, a strong will and serenity,
    3. Disciplines and trains the body to develop and maintain health and wellness,
    4. Disciplines and trains the spirit through a conscious connection to the Force, gaining discretion and wisdom,
    5. Acknowledges emotions without allowing them to alter their actions or vision,
    6. Strives to achieve balance in all areas of life,
    7. Approaches life with courage and honesty,
    8. Views the world critically and objectively, with a willingness to challenge conventional thinking.
    9. Humbly undertakes service for the betterment of all,
    10. Fosters an environment where peace and justice can thrive,
    11. Respects and defends life in all its forms,
    12. Practices compassion and patience toward others as well as the self,
    13. Accepts the responsibility to pass on their knowledge to willing students of the Force.

inari
    Participant

Hi Jax,

I’ve read through options 2 and 3 twice and it seems that they are exactly the same apart from the order that they are presented in? Am I suffering from a form of domestic blindness and not reading this correctly, or was this intentional?

Jax
    Keymaster

It was intentional.  The difference between the two is stylistic.  I left them in there for those who prefer that original format.  They had roughly equal votes last time, so I wanted to see if any of that changed with the other option in there. 

Jax
    Keymaster

So…any further opinions?  We have a few new faces around again, so please vote.  :-)

Anonymous

This isn’t a further option – but rather something from my own experience…

When I first joined the Jedi I was looking for some concrete guidance.  One reason I am supportive of such lists is because it is a really important aspect to Newbies.

A generalized list such as this – rather than one of the more slanted towards specific Jedi would really bring the Jedi more to the public’s understanding.  I like list 2 – but it’s a personal preference. 

I know at one time there was to also be a sort of preamble…  Has that ever been published because I would be very interested to also see that.

– Asta

Jedi_Phoenix

I think for now I like the list.  I’m not sure why, but thats my vote.  Personally since I don’t see a difference  between 2 OR 3, I say either. 

Hmm, maybe I like the list because its more simple, there’s less writing.  Maybe in the future we can go back and flesh things out more, but for now, to get the ball rolling, a list seems simple and to the point and the best option!!!

Phoenix

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here