• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin
    Participant
    Quote:
    Hi Benjamin,

What an awesome weekend you have had! One thing I’d like to say though, (and this isn’t something we usually say to students, as normally we have to motivate them to work) is to allow yourself some rest time and not feel guilty if you don’t get some aspect of your training regime done every day. Give yourself time physically to rest when you need it, for starters (and I’m sure you know this), I’ve seen plenty of people whose livelihoods depend on their bodies push themselves too far and then have to go work in another industry. Also, meditation and reading expanding literature are good, but don’t forget to lighten up sometimes and sleep in, or read some fiction etc.

So, just a little concerned you’ll ‘burn out’ if you go too hard and too constantly.

I appreciate the concern Inari; I have allowed myself a few days to recuperate from the weekend. I got a great DRU Yoga training DVD and have been doing that each morning instead of my meditation. It has allowed me to stretch and relax and the best part is it only takes 20min.

Phoenix as for time management the buzz phrase this weekend was you can not manage time it is constant you can only manage yourself. When I have a chance I might write a small post on what I learned. However as Inari has pointed out perhaps self management is not my strongest attribute so we can all learn together.  :obiwan

I would like to take the time to pose a question on ego. Last night I was working and two people came down from doing a kick-boxing class. One was an older guy around 45 a little over weight and he was talking to a young girl around 22 – 24. He was trying to give her tips on how to kick properly. He was explaining how he used to do taekwondo and had made it to blue belt. Any how as he continued to show her some of his moves I found myself projecting an essences of, now it’s hard to describe but the basic feeling was “I am way better than him why would you even listen to a fat old guy who knows nothing when I could teach you so much more.”  :maul

It didn’t take long for my inner voice to point out what I was doing and once it did I changed my projection to one of love, I was happy that they had, had a good time and were enjoying the experience of what they had learned.  :yoda

My basic question is why when I have been focused on my path practicing all that I have would my first instinct in this situation be one of pride and superiority.?

I know we are only human however I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how have they dealt with an over active ego?  :meditate 

Jedi_Phoenix

Self-management…I’m an expert at that I don’t need to work collaboratively  ;D ;) Totally just kidding!

But thats my ego for you.  What I just said was a joke, but often times that is how, for me at least, my ego likes to manifest.  Hell I will have been only walking this path for 5 years in 4 days, but even after all I have learned one of my biggest downsides is my EGO.  For me I have an overactive Ego with an inferirority complex.  In otherwords I like to make my Self appear bigger than I really am, only because I don’t have the Self esteem and Self confidence to support me!!!

However  I should note that that is not every reason for one to be Egotistical.  Some people are that way because that is what they learned, others, like me, do it because we are hiding something deep down.  Still others may be doing it out of a reaction of fear, or maybe jealousy.  FOr instance you said the guy was overweight and trying to show his technique, and forgive me for stepping over a boundary, but here you are in Sydney learning how to stay fit and exercise healthy…even if not on a conscious level, do you see the subconscious conflict? And when that happens for me, that manifests into my Ego.

And that works when looking at other people, even my friends.  As for how I deal with it, well a lot of it right now is self talking and positive affirmations because I’m struggling with the inferiority part more than the super ego, but its all inter related.

Hope that makes sense lol :ponder

PS A lot to deal with EGO is internal reflection and awareness! And awareness you have so thats good :)

inari
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry too much about your ego Benjamin, not from the incident you related today, anyway. Ego is a highly polarised concept these days, basically it’s come to mean having a fat head but this was not the way the term was originally used. Freud came up with three parts of the ‘psychic apparatus’ the Id, the Ego, and the Super Ego. The Id is the instinctive and unformed area that thrives upon pleasure and retreats from pain. The Ego is the ‘realistic’ or organising principle, and the Super Ego is the ‘Over-I’. So, in this case you see a woman listening to an older man, your id feels (insert Tim the Toolman grunt here) that you should be the one talking to the lady and receiving her admiration. Your Ego then translates that instinctive reaction into a thought or series of thoughts, which is after all what it is supposed to do. THEN your Super Ego kicked in, which is also exactly what it is supposed to do (especially when you’ve been meditating regularly) and overrode the Ego response. And you didn’t act upon it and felt pleased for them both.

I don’t see a problem with your actions. Don’t feel guilty…that’s the next part  :P

What we really mean when we say that people are egotistical is that they have a personality that is externally focused. They brag or seek reassurance that they are good at something. As Phoenix correctly pointed out, this is a defence mechanism to cover their underlying insecurities. Even if the personality itself believes in their own propaganda, there will still be unconscious insecurities underlying it.

I’ve had plenty of problems myself with feeling bad about myself. Like most of us, I’ve had a past that wasn’t the most supportive, but with the self-reflection that I’ve undertake as part of my Jedi studies (and also other studies such as Chinese medicine) I’ve healed much of that past, forgiven some of it, and just written some off as a learning experience that has helped to make me who I am. Most of us don’t like ourselves very much, and so compare ourselves to others to either build ourselves up or beat ourselves up (depending on your personal tendency), at some point the individual has to realise this and just cut those sort of thoughts off before they are fully formed. This is the great benefit of meditation, and one of the reasons why I harp on about it so much. When we meditate, we learn to observe and then control our thoughts, and this skill should be brought into our lives, not kept to meditation time.

Remember, we all slip sometimes. Forgive yourself when you do, make amends for your actions if required, and accept the consequences if necessary.

And try not to sound too pompous while you’re at it.  ;D

Jedi_Phoenix

D’oh! YOu know having just learned that in Psych class I should have remembered that.  Shows how instinctive and ingrained the other version of Ego is in me (and probably others)

My teacher explained it in the form of those cartoons; you know the one where the character stands there and the Devil comes on one shoulder while the angel on the other? This is exactly like what Frued was getting at.  Our id, the devil, wants instant gratification; the ego, us, tries to do that in the most realistically way possible; and the sueper ego, the angel, is trying to override that.  lol, so ignore what I said before I guess, if you haven’t already lol  :P

Benjamin
    Participant

Cheers for the tips on ego Inari & Phoenix, I have never had it explained to me like that before. I have had many times in my life to reflect on my personality and how it affects my daily thoughts and actions.

As Inari points out my past has had quite a lot to do with my sense of over achieving. I would not go as far to say I seek approval, but I do gain a great sense of I guess pride from doing my best at what I put my mind to. So if it is meditation, physical training, nutrition or what ever I tend to put 100% into most of my pursuits. This is because I come from a family of over achievers, any thing we did as kids we were encouraged to do our best at.

I think that this is why I ended up in the fitness industry; it is the type of industry where over achieving is expected by work mates & clients alike.

I do know that this journey will be full of humbling moments, times when I will be confronted by myself in ways that may be painful or hard to deal with.
    I can only hope that as these times come by I can see them for what they are, as opportunities to grow and learn new ways to see my life and the world as a whole.

I understand that this is an internal journey and can only hope these journal entries are not misunderstood as a cry for approval. I have chosen to use them as a way to stay accountable for the path I have undertaken.

Thankyou again for everyone who has taken the time to guide me as I enter into a world that is full of foreign language and teachings beyond my current understanding.

:meditate

:rebel

Benjamin
    Participant

I just thought I would post my new training prog.

Physical Training
    “Turning the human body into a well trained tool takes time & dedication. Only through relentless physical training can one become a true warrior. Combining Good Nutrition, Sleep & Physical training you will keep your body in shape for anything that may come before you.”

Example of a Physical Traing Program
    Day One.
    Crosstrainer/SEAL Run 15 min/2.4 km
    TRX Atomic Push Ups 25
    TRX Row         25
    Bosu Push Up 20
    Jump Pull         20
    TRX Flie         15
    Wide Chin         15
    TRX Push Up 10
    TRX Power Pull 10
    Concept 2 Rower 10 min

Day Two.
    Stretch Program
    Martial Arts Training

Day Three.
    Balance Class

Mitltary Press/Bosu x 3
    Bicep Curl/Bosu x 3
    TRX Tricep Press         x 3

Lateral Side Raise/Bosu x 3
    Dumbell Bicep Curl/Bosu x 3
    Tricep Dips x 3

TRX Rear Delt T-Y-I x 3
    TRX Bicep Pull x 3
    Tricep Pushups x 3

Abdominal Core Personal Training 30 min

Day Four
    Morning Walk 30/40 min

Evening Stretch 1 Hour     

Day Five

TRX Atomic Push Ups 25
    TRX Row         25
    Bosu Push Up 20
    Jump Pull         20
    TRX Flie         15
    Wide Chin         15
    TRX Push Up 10
    TRX Power Pull 10

Stretch Program
    Martial Arts Training

Day Six
    Rest & Relaxation

Day Seven
    SEAL Run         2.4 km
    SEAL Swim 500m
    Underwater Swim         25 m
    Underwater Retrieval 5 min
    Water Treading 5 min

Evening Stretch 1 Hour

Nutrition
    Good nutrition is the corner stone to a healthy mind & body follow a well balanced diet. Drinking lots of water & having a healthy mix if Protein Carbohydrates & Fats is essential.

Example of Nutrition

Meal One Cereal/High Fibre
    Coffee no milk no sugar
    Water 500ml

Meal Two Fruit
    Water 500ml

Meal Three Rice
    Vegetables
    Fish
    Water 500ml

Meal Four Nuts
    Water 500ml

Meal Five Rice
    Vegetables
    Fish
    Water 500ml

Meal Six Open
    Water 500ml

+ 500ml min water during training.

Stretch Routine
    As important as physical training & Nutrition, stretching will keep your body loose & free. Lowering the risk of injury and maintaining flexability.

Example of Stretching Programm

Double Hami Forward Bend         4 x 30 sec
    Standing Quad Stretch 4 x 30 sec
    Hip Rotation 2 min
    Swinging Arms 2 min
    Seated Split 4 x 30 sec
    Lying Quad 4 x 30 sec
    Glute Opening Lunge 4 x 30 sec
    Double Leg Hami           4 x 30 sec
    Seated Groin 4 x 30 sec
    QL Stretch 4 x 30 sec
    Repeat   x 1

Martial Arts Training

Example of Martial Arts Drills.

Dynamic Kicks ALL         20 of each
    Leading Puch 20
    Rear Push Kick 15
    Rear Punch 20
    Lead Snap Kick 15
    Leading Hook 20
    Spinning Back Kick         15
    Rear Hook         20
    Rear Snap Kick 15
    Rear Elbow 20
    Spinning Back Fist         10
    Rear Knee         10

Free Style Work 10 min

Katana Kata 1 x 10
    Katana Kata 2 x 10
    Katana Kata 3 x 10

Jo Training 10 min

I’m not sure why the numbers don’t match up when I post??
    Sorry

Benjamin
    Participant

In answer to Inari “No Kids”  ;D

Benjamin
    Participant

My physical training has been going well. I have adjusted to my new training shedual well. In the beginning of the new program I was pulling up not so well, but after a week I am feeling good.

Benjamin
    Participant

Just popping in to download what has been happening. Training has been going well have been fitting in around 1 to 1½ hours per day with about 15 to 30 min meditation. I have been flat out at work so I have not had much time for anything else.  :maul

This is the first time I have turned on my laptop all week. :r2top

I hope all is well for everyone take care and may the force be with you all. :meditate :yoda

Benjamin
    Participant

Hey guys thought I would check in and let you all know all is well. I have been training like a mad man as usual and have been sticking to my daily meditation. I have not written in my meditation journal for some time as most of what I experience is the same, my mind wonders from time to time however as a whole I feel so much more focused in my daily goings on. I have managed to read through and practise each lesson in meditation 101 and have found Mantra and Walking meditation the most effective for me. I have signed up to do an 8 week meditation course at the end of June so I hope this gives me more focus and new techniques to try.

I have posted in the past that I have actively sought to spend less time on the net which I feel has given me more time for practicing my Jedi life + has allowed me to spend more quality time with my wife J. I used spend 3 to 4 hours a day out side of work online now I only spend 3 to 4 hours a week. (This is why I only pop in once a week now)

I hope you all find your selves well. I am looking forward to staring some of the other studies soon

Cheers

Ben 

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here