• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nitsud
    Participant

The Swedish are looking into that question: LINK

I eagerly await repulsorlift technology to turn my car into a speeder. :cheer:

Jax
    Keymaster

lol Yes, but can you imagine teaching kids to drive a speeder instead of a car? *cringe*

Nitsud
    Participant

haha, true. BUT. If you think about it who else is going to be near the ground but newbies if this technology does actually happen? Everyone who can pass tests and/or not die will be up-up-and away. Screw this inefficient method of throwing transportation devices into space with fuel and trajectory, lets just turn gravity off! I still look forward to being an old man on the moon… I’d be less likely to break a hip.

Jax
    Keymaster

We’re living at an exciting time. I look forward to it. :-)

Kol Drake

There are several theories on gravity which would have varying effects on how antimatter would respond to it.
    For example —

1. If gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time as Einstein theorized, then anti-matter would have no reason to behave any differently than normal matter with respect to gravity. However, this would still be basing everything on the assumption that anti-matter would follow the curvature of space-time. While there is no evidence to suggest this, there is also no evidence to prove that anti-matter would propel itself past the wall of space and time in place before it.

2. If gravity is caused by the theoretical “graviton,” then one might assume that anti-matter would contain anti-gravitons much the way it contains anti-protons and positrons. In this case, gravity would be reversed as everything else in the anti-atom is, and therefore anti-matter would fall “up” or more correctly “anti-down.”

Hard to say, since we really do not know what the ’cause’ of gravity is (warped space or wonky particle or something we have yet to discover). Experiments are ‘in the works’ and perhaps, some day, we might have those flying cars depicted so often on the cover of those 1950s Science Fiction paperbacks.

flying-car1-1024x618_zpsa81b34a1.jpg
    Jax
    Keymaster

Or none of the above. My sources tell me that gravity is a function of electromagnetism we just haven’t observed the relationship yet. But we will before too long. From there it’s not that big of the leap to do antigravity because we already understand magnetism fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk – Please forgive typos

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here