• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin
    Participant

I am just wondering if anyone is currently involved with amateur astronomy.  :r2top

I have been looking to get involved with studying the night sky only in an amateur fashion and have been looking at this Telescope in particular.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=8&ProdID=31

So I am just wondering if anyone out there has an opinion or any advice on purchasing your first telescope.

Any links or advice would be much appreciated, as I am looking to purchase one in the next week or two.

Regards

:rebel

Jax
    Keymaster

Just read reviews around the net.  There are a lot of resources out there for getting started with astronomy.  However, I’d start with deciding what you want to do with it.  Are you just wanting to look at things, or try to do research?  Typically, observation is all people really want, and thus will want to decide how much power can they afford.  :-) 

I have a real cheap telescope I got as a teenager, and it’s rather difficult to hold a position.  Having the quality mounting, computerized motor drive, that will all make it much more enjoyable.  If you can find a local astronomy group, either through a college or just as a group of ‘civilians’.  You’ll probably find people more than willing to help you through the learning curve, as well as giving you hints for locations in your area that are better for viewing.  :-)

I hope in a few years to buy a good telescope myself.  But first I want to take an astronomy course so I don’t have to look things up so much. 

Benjamin
    Participant

I have thought about doing a short course, run bi-annually by the University where “J” works. However, because I typically start work at 12.00pm or earlier and finish at 9.00pm my times don’t work for it. I have done a few single night viewings they have run in the past and I’m sure they would have a great resource base to tap into if I joined. As for the level of commitment I’m looking for, it is just for viewing.

I spoke to someone today who suggested this model for good all-round viewing with some cool ad ons.

:rebel

Jax
    Keymaster

You might be able to just take a single normal college astronomy course which starts before work.  But usually the single viewing nights work well.  People are always willing to answer questions and it’s low key.  :-)  Plus, other people have different telescopes so you learn about that too.  That’s all I’ve done, because in physics an astronomy class doesn’t count for your major in any way.  And in a schedule that’s compressed, there just wasn’t time.  But I’m hoping this fall or otherwise next spring I’ll be able to take astronomy (and a few other classes to improve my proficiency). 

In time you might want the camera attachment so you can document the good stuff you see.  :-)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here