• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RiddleNox

Article is attached. Link source: http://nyti.ms/1nWpn6o
    [attachment=428]ABoomingMarketforArtThatImitatesLifeAftertheFinancialCrisis-TheNewYorkTimes.pdf[/attachment]

Our culture is becoming increasingly focused on reflecting our own history. We have begun to sort of “meta” analyze the situation we’re in as millennials. This article gives good examples as to how we are tackling the issue of “How did we get here? And, where are we going?”

Thoughts?

Jax
    Keymaster

I think that we’re in this interesting position time wise. We’re still in the recovery from 2008, but we’re out of it enough that we want to understand it. Art is a great way of understanding big things like this. And let’s face it, many people won’t read a book, but they’ll watch a movie on this topic. And given how many changes we still need to make, I view anything that expands awareness as a positive.

RiddleNox

It’s depressing. The median books read by Americans is 5 books per year. And, that’s when you consider half of America reads less… And, those books are probably for school or they are fiction meant for pleasure primarily instead of intellectual stimulation…

Many Americans don’t read at all.

I think it is fine to encourage art of all kinds… especially art that encourages people to learn. I think we have, as a whole, become a much more image-based culture than we used to be. Therefore, we accept visual stimulation. It doesn’t really hinder development. It just shortens attention spans, though… If we were able to educate the children to focus (reading is something that used to teach us this and stay with us our whole lives), then maybe the decline in print media wouldn’t be so detrimental…

Jax
    Keymaster

True, and that’s something people are learning more about and implementing. But only some. It requires people fighting for education reform that makes sense and uses research based information instead of ideology.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here