Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The best trick for cutting down on sugar - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The best trick for cutting down on sugar

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1957

Kol Drake created the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Christine Lepisto (@greenanswer) > Living / Health > February 14, 2017
The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Maybe your sweetheart loves you so much, they give you fruit to celebrate your special relationship. But more likely, you will finish Valentine's day sharing one or more boxes of delicious, irresistible chocolates or candies with friends and family.

Now, everyone knows that special treats like Valentine's chocolates don't count. (Admit it, you feel more loved following tradition, even if a healthier gift might logically offer better proof of "true love.")

But if you are like me, after the binge you will bring new fervor and commitment to the promise you made yourself to eat less sugar. So, at the risk of spoiling a bit of the frenzy of the festive occasion, I want to share the best trick I have found yet for managing sugar consumption.

If you are like me, you are also the veteran of several campaigns to eat healthier. You've read many tips on kicking the sugar habit. The rational part of your brain knows the price your health pays for eating too much sugar, but the sweet tooth can still get the better of you.

So here is what finally works for me: the numbers 4 and 6. If you are a guy, you need to remember 4 and 9.

Four

Four is the number to convert the grams of sugar on food labels to teaspoons. Just find the number of grams of sugar and divide by four.

Six and Nine

Six is the maximum recommended teaspoons of sugar per day for a woman.
Men can be sweeter, with up to nine teaspoons a day.

Easy examples:

14 grams of sugar in a portion of flavored yogurt: 14/4 = 3.5. Do I really want to consume three and a half teaspoons of sugar in my "healthy" breakfast?

10 grams of sugar in half a cup of spaghetti sauce: 10/4 = 2.5. Imagine sprinkling more than two teaspoons of sugar on your dinner. Maybe I'll make it from scratch.

40 grams of sugar in the honey raisin bran muffin? 40/4 = 10! Gee, even the guys can't eat that!

Maybe this works because it is easier to visualize teaspoons than grams, and put it into context. Maybe it works because it is so easy to understand that 3 teaspoons is half my daily allotment, and to think about whether the temptation in front of me is where I want to spend my "sugar budget." It definitely helps me leave that can of soda or muffin on the shelf when I can quickly calculate that it will blow my whole day. At any rate, it's so easy, it just works.

New sugar labels due out in 2018 will help to differentiate added sugar from sugars naturally in the ingredients contained in foods - but remember that the more processed the food, the more those "natural" sugars should still be counted in your healthy avoidance of simple sugars separated from the fiber and host of nutrients in their original sources.

So don't wait for new labels: start using 4 and 6 or 9 today. Or maybe tomorrow ;). Happy Valentine's day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Assuming you want to reduce sugar... lol Thanks for sharing this Kol. It's good information for when I choose to focus on this. Though when we cook at home it's easy to not have a lot of sugar. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1509

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Many thanks Kol Drake for sharing this with us. I will see how I can make use of this information as, funny as it is and how things come together, I'm currently looking for ways how to cut back on my consumption of sweets, especially chocolate, once again.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Holy Tardis of Gallifrey, no wonder I have a sugar addiction. While this really helps put my sugar consumption into perspective, I find two glaring issues with this. First it doesn't mention things that don't come with labels, like the boxes of doughnuts that people keep bringing us at work the last three days. I assume the omission of things like that means I need to just avoid them all together. But I can't because I am seriously addicted to sugar. Which brings me to the second point. These rules are all well and good, unless you have an addiction. I am going to find myself counting grams of sugar and going "well that sucks" as I shove the doughnut in my mouth on sly. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Depending on the type of donut... I too might fail the 'bet you can't just eat one' test.

I have tried hard to cut back (not cut out... I'm not a savage!) my soda drinking. For a while I was doing one - two cans a day. Then back to one and now I'm only drinking ginger ale when my tummy is upset... so not 'cold turkey' but not chopped liver either!)

My folks have a handful of chocolate after their evening meal. They are like -- "Well, it's dark chocolate so it's healthy." *facepalm*

Like anything and everything else... all things in moderation.
And yes, I agree -- unlabeled foods can be sneak attacks on minding your intake. It's scary enough when you really start to pay attention to the labels on cans and bottles. They are slipping sugar (or High Fructose Corn Syrup) into so much processed food these days.

FYI --
One glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut has 200 calories, 12 grams (g) fat (3g saturated), 2g protein, 0g fiber, 10g sugars, 6 percent of the daily value (DV) for calcium, 2 percent of the DV for vitamin C, and is made with partially hydrogenated soybean oil, also known as trans fats.

A Dunkin' Donuts 'glazed donut' has 12 grams of sugar! So... perhaps consider swapping to a bagel with cream cheese?

On average, a plain, medium bagel that's 3.5 inches in diameter contains 270 calories, while a small, 3-inch bagel has just 177 calories. One tablespoon of regular cream cheese has 50 calories, while 1 tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese has just 30 calories. Therefore, a medium bagel with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese contains 320 calories, while a small bagel with 1 tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese contains 207 calories.

Note there is no sugar mentioned. There IS some sugar used when making the bagel batter. Turns out it's like 2.9 grams. 2.9/4 = 0.725 ... not quite 1 teaspoon. SO, we can't just glom bagles all day either. Moderation.

*sighs*
Being healthy can seem worse than just going food crazy -- but the body will thank you when you get to be 800 years old.

One reason people eat too much sugar is they don't eat enough protein. Katie, try increasing your protein however you can and see if that reduces the sugar cravings. Also, our brains run on sugar, salt, and water. People who's brains run faster, who are highly empathic and healers tend to need more sugar because of their natural way of being. That doesn't mean eat as much as possible, but it might be that your body requires at least a bit more than the recommendation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: The best trick for cutting down on sugar

Conversion Table: six donuts == one slab of bacon and a side of Spanish omelet. :P

It's never 'all or nothing'... as Jax notes.
It's teaching ourself how to eat more wisely... even if we can't afford to buy/cook organic 100% of the time. Smart shopping; smart eating; smart all around in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

That's some awesome math. lol

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds