Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The Spoon Theory - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The Spoon Theory

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1916

Jax created the topic: The Spoon Theory

I can't believe I didn't post this yet! So there's an easy way to explain how much energy (emotional, physical, or spiritual) you have and why you can't do more. It's called the spoon theory. The original post is here: www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

It is long, but good. There are shorter/different variations on it.
menopauseexpress.com/2016/01/20/spoon-theory/
www.blogher.com/social-spoonless?crumb=17

In Furiously Happy, Jenny Lawson explains “Spoon Theory” in detail. I’m giving her full credit for it here because it makes so much sense and explains the whole “I just can’t…” part of Depression. Let me explain.

First, let’s take a young, perfectly healthy person. This person wakes up in the morning with a full set of spoons. All the things they have to do that day require energy. You have a spoon for everything you need to do. You already got out of bed. That’s a spoon. Eating, caring for people, going places, cleaning house, working…. you get the idea. And at the end of the day, this young healthy person has spoons leftover as he or she goes to bed. When they wake up, the Spoon Fairy has arrived with this fresh supply of spoons for the day. Voila! Infinite spoons!

But if you’re sick, that affects the number of spoons you get that day. If you’re battling mental illness, you start to see those spoons dwindle. There will be days you wake up and the fairy only left you 3 or 4 spoons. That’s all you get for the day and you have to make them last. You have to be selective with your spoons.

Many people here have less spoons than others for various reasons. For some it is a mental or physical health issue. For others it is being an introvert so on some days they'll be fine but after a lot of social demands they'll have very few spoons available. I hope this analogy helps you understand others and yourself better.

And just for giggles: thebloggess.com/2015/03/my-spoon-is-exhausted/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich, Connor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds