Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The Jedi Diet - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The Jedi Diet

• Memnoich
  • Memnoich's Avatar Topic Author
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich created the topic: The Jedi Diet

Over the Years there have been discussions as to the Jedi diet, some for health reasons, some for personal reasons, some for religious views. I curious as to peoples views on what a Jedi should be eating. There are many diets out there, and I'm not referring to Diet in the Four letter, lets fear change, type of way, but Diet as in what your eat. As always, moderation is a key factor, For as the body is a temple, do you want the Grand Jedi Temple, or the forgotten shrine? We must take care of ourselves, but we can't count on Science to help us much right now, as years ago, things that were considered bad for you are now considered good, and visa versa. What I'm asking is your opinion, both based off of your lifestyle, but also your beliefs.
For example, I'm mostly a 80/20 Paleo, I have cut carbs out of my diet, mainly for the Gluten Allergy in my family, but also because I truly believe our bodies were designed to be powered by proteins, not by sugars, and as Carbs are changed into Sugars before we can digest them, This is not something I want in my body. I can go on, and will in PM's if anyone asks, but I do believe that being healthy starts with the diet.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1909

Jax replied the topic: The Jedi Diet

I think the ideal for Jedi would be whatever is ideal for their body. For some that will be what you are doing. For others it could be vegan. And others could be heavy meat eaters. Personally, I would hope that whatever works for you and your body, that you go with the most ethically sourced as you can. Think local, organic, and humane. And if you can't, every time you can makes a difference.

For me, I'm increasing my protein which is helping my body, but I find it pretty much impossible to do no carb. I think my body is telling me that it wants some carbs at least while I'm still breastfeeding. Once we wean I'm going to really give slow-carb some effort and see if that works for me or not. Otherwise, I just keep trying to listen to my body.

• Thank you received: 1508

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The Jedi Diet

Aye, what Jax said is what has worked for me so far best. Finally I might be at the same position where You, Memnoich, are. I’m not fully Paleo but I did my best to cut out carb as much as possible but as I do love sweets, this is a very difficult way for me and so far I had been able to only reduce my consumption of bread close to zero.

From all my experiences, what I took and take with me is that we, especially as Jedi, have to find our way back to eating consciously and being fully aware of that we eat and what we eat. One of the problems, at least in my area, is that many people don’t give eating much thought and just eat what is easily and quickly available. I guess, I don’t need to point out that this hardly ever the best choice for your body and what it really would need.

My personal way in this will continue by reading and learning more about the “Five Elements Kitchen” from China and make use of what I can learn from my wife and the Japanese kitchen.
In addition I also always need to be aware of what is called FODMAPS as I do suffer from a irritable bowel syndrome which is likely to be caused by long sugar chains.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: The Jedi Diet

That was what I was mainly trying to get at, was a "Planned" diet, where the food that we eat is thought about. We grow most of our veggies when we can, get from the farmers market when we can't, and from BountifulBaskets.org as well. We get our meats from a local butcher, sure it maybe be a tad more expensive, but it's local, grass fed, not steroids or antibiotics, I also hunt to help supplement. We raise our own Chickens and try to can everything we can, Tia makes Jams, Jelly's, Ketchup, and salsa. We hardly ever step into the center of a grocery store when we do go, most of the time its for spices.

I agree its about listening to your body, and doing what your body needs and what you feel, But part of that is education, understanding nutrition. Most don't pay any attention, and can't tell the difference between a craving and what their body needs. I hope one day that nutrition will be taught better in school, instead of just skimmed over at an age when kids don't like learning, let alone about something like what foods to eat.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Agreed. So, what have you learned about the difference between a need and craving for you Memnoich?

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: The Jedi Diet

This took me some time to think about, and try to understand, because your body will scream for both what it needs and what it craves. So it comes down to introspection and understanding, but most of all choice. Your body cravings and needs, feel the same, its choice and understanding that separates them. When you want the Chocolate, what your body wants is gratification, soda? It wants liquid and energy. I say Choice and understanding come into play because you body doens't look at food the same way our minds do. Your body says hydration and energy, our minds say soda and candy, why? its because we have conditioned our minds over the years to associate those feelings with specific food types. Candy and sugary snacks are quick energy fix's, Soda give us the energy plus the feeling of hydration, all of this is for just a little bit.

Most of us grew up with sugar being our energy source, from candy, to carbs, which the body takes and changes into sugars before it is processed, even milk(lactose) is converted into sugar before it is processed. While it can use sugars, the body was not meant to. This is a product of our lazy society, do things the easier way, even if its not the right way. Our bodies were designed to use Proteins as an energy source, sugar, in moderation, was meant to be a pick me up. We, as thinking beings, have to ability to retrain our minds, our bodies don't need the training, to understand that feeling hungry means the need for energy, or possibly even hydration. We can make the "Choice" to eat the snacks we crave, or to give the body what it really wants, food that can give the energy needed with out anything extra. When thirsty, reach for something that will actually hydrate.

Over the years, as sugar became more available, it became more used. In the middle ages, Sugar was only for the rich, the middle and lower class really only ate meats and vegetables, with sugar only as they could afford it. This is the diet we should look towards, but unfortunately human nature stepped in. Jealousy, greed, envy, always the bane of man's existence, also came into play in the diet. As certain foods became easier to produce, they became more accessible to the lower classes, and so to "keep up with the Jones's" we started to make it part of our diet. We turned fast and convenient food into the norm,and healthy and good food into the odd.

I won't lie, it can be hard to reprogram your mind, to understand your cravings, but still make the right choice, to go with whats right vs whats easy. I guess being an ex-smoker makes it easier for me, I've had to fight the cravings, the Triggers, to continue to be smoke free, so when it comes to fast food and soda, its a battle I'm familiar with. It helps to have a goal, and this is where understanding comes in. Understanding what happens within your own body. what that cheap and easy food does to you, and where it comes from, even knowing what it is helps. It helps you to understand that, the craving you have is the training of society, the need you have is your body telling you one of 2 simple things:

• I'm low on energy
  • I need hydrated.
[/b]

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Thank you for sharing that. I think there's more to it, but this is a really good start. For myself, a craving can go away. For instance, protein deficiency often causes sugar cravings, for the reason you stated. So if I'm craving chocolate even after having a ton of protein, I tend to lean toward my body needing something else it isn't getting. I've been focusing on greek yogurt when that happens because there's sweetness, protein, and calcium. This tends to happen later in the afternoon, more so if I've been using my brain heavily. Since the brain runs on sugar, it can need that quick hit of sugar to survive the afternoon. I tend to give in when my body screams the loudest because I've tried the other ways to meet the need and it didn't work. And given my increased nutritional needs while I continue breastfeeding, I try to simply listen to it. I agree, it's challenging. But for me, cravings dissipate within a few hours, or after eating. Body needs don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds