Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Polls on fitness - Page 3 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Polls on fitness

Poll: What is your current state and belief about fitness as a Jedi?

Fitness should be required.
12 20.7%
Any fitness should be optional.
1 1.7%
I have a fitness program of some kind.
10 17.2%
I do not have a fitness program.
No votes 0%
I intend to improve my fitness this year.
11 19%
I prefer set standards for everyone.
3 5.2%
I prefer personalized standards for everyone
7 12.1%
I prefer basic minimums with personalized standard
14 24.1%
Total number of voters: 27 ( Asta Sophi, Kai-An Tatok, Dineara, Sinistra, Chris-Tien Jinn ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

zen-ryo senshi wrote: Hmmm. I notice that no one admitted, in the poll, that they don't currently have a fitness program. However, out of the 20 voters, only 9 said they have a program, so does that mean that 11 do not? 10 did not say they intended to improve their fitness this year, so perhaps that is correct.

Also interesting is that 1 person said fitness shouldn't be required, but then voted for standards anyway (perhaps they were saying which version they would prefer IF fitness was required).

I didn't really understand the choices.

I am training to do a marathon this year and think anyone who seriously calls themselves a Jedi should be training in fitness, martial arts and conforming to the other "Jedi archetype" activities and beliefs. I don't understand why that isn't a popular idea. If your not using the Jedi as an ideal and training yourself to conform to it then why even call yourself one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

The point is to show that most people are already doing this, so requiring physical activity as part of training isn't a revolutionary concept. However, the divide comes in how that standard is set. Is there a rigid standard, such as the military? Meet these requirements or fail. Or, is there a personal goal set for each, which is documented to show progress toward the goal? Or, is there a mix, with some minimum standards, such as being able to run a mile, which is testable, and then personalized plans to accommodate individual paths. Each is different.

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

Jax wrote: The point is to show that most people are already doing this, so requiring physical activity as part of training isn't a revolutionary concept. However, the divide comes in how that standard is set. Is there a rigid standard, such as the military? Meet these requirements or fail. Or, is there a personal goal set for each, which is documented to show progress toward the goal? Or, is there a mix, with some minimum standards, such as being able to run a mile, which is testable, and then personalized plans to accommodate individual paths. Each is different.

I'd like to come back to this topic as it's something that has been on my mind over the last few weeks. As I get closer and closer to becoming a personal trainer things like this have started to spark my interest.

I believe we shouldn't be so focused on if someone can do x amount of physical activity. Each person is going to have different wants, needs, and goals. And each want, need, and goal will change over the course of months or years.

In fact I think the main thing we should focus on is if someone is healthy. Now before anyone reading this gets upset or thinks health is in the eye of the beholder I'd point out that their are set standards of what makes someone healthy. For example a classic way to find out if someone is healthy is by taking and finding their body fat percentage. A test that is fairly easy to take and gives a general idea of how healthy someone is. Yet not requiring a great deal of physical activity.

After figuring out how healthy the person is we could then find out what the person wants to focus on or what goals the person has. Its then easy to create personalized training plans that will help the person reach said goal. So while this would allow us to come up with a set standard that Jedi would have to work towards it also allows for wiggle room in the type of training program being used. Meaning those that don't want to run wouldn't have to and those that want to use weights can and so on and so forth.

I'll end this here before it gets any longer and again offer my service if IJRS ever wants to create a course based around health/fitness or even if someone wants individual help with fitness.

~~Bekah~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Thank you for your perspective Bekah. There is a course partially written by Atticus, who then got quite busy getting EMT certified.

I would caution you against thinking that BMI or body fat percentage is a reliable indicator of health. I think we'll see our understanding of health continue to evolve in the coming decades. We can certainly have goals and experiment with this ourselves, to learn more about health for each of us. Your experiences are valuable in that process, as are everyone else who takes an interest in learning what health means to their body.

• Nick
  • Falling is part of the journey
  • Thank you received: 184

Nick replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

Having a health standard is nice, but it is also important to understand how the individual is currently and plans to maintain or improve their health status. A Jedi with a passing body fat % could easily become unhealthy in a year if their diet and fitness plans are flawed.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebekah

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Polls on fitness

Exactly Nick. Personally I care more about reaching and maintaining a healthy focus in life. Each year that definition of health may change, but we should be able to understand how it equals health.

For example, in 2012 I ran a lot. This year I'm walking because my body was injured a lot. I'm learning to build up slower, to rest when I need rest, and maintain balance. All of the ideas I had before about consistency and requirements had to change in order to follow health according to my body. I'm still figuring it out. But I also don't have a defined fitness function like Nick who needs to be in shape to referee.

I find all of the variety quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

Nick wrote: Having a health standard is nice, but it is also important to understand how the individual is currently and plans to maintain or improve their health status. A Jedi with a passing body fat % could easily become unhealthy in a year if their diet and fitness plans are flawed.

The focus would be to achieve and maintain a healthy body fat % and any personal goals the person(s) might have. Working this past year on my own health and fitness I understand what your saying! Just because you have good health or good numbers now doesn't mean you'll have them in a few months if you don't actively seek to maintain them! I still struggle with this as I tend to like chips, candy and lots of different types of junk food. Have to constantly fight against the cravings and desire to eat as much as I want!

~~Bekah~~

• Thank you received: 56

Asta Sophi replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I know this response is pretty late - but I have altered my views on fitness over the years...

I just voted #1. Fitness must be part of the Way of the Jedi.

Here is the thing: we cannot be together in a group as a physical unit. Not even sure how much good that would do the world with the laws and society we have in 2013.

That said, as I age, I see the real and direct result of ignoring fitness. At 50 I am seeing it hard. I see people my age who were very physically athletic or active, maybe without a lot of thought or moderation, barely able to get around because of past over-use or simply, sadly, injury. I am now more fit than they without trying. Yet - they could be as fit as possible using the uninjured parts of their bodies. Many do.

I see My Old Dad who at 80 yet runs or cross-country skis a few miles a day. Then I see my sedentary mother who can barely get out of chair unaided. Neither had injury. Simply the choices of caring for the body or not.

The Way Of The Jedi seems to demand fitness. Nit-picking what kind seems a bit purposeless?

Striving for not simply fitness, but also health, seems a core of the Way of the Jedi?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Rebekah

• Thank you received: 1509

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

First of all it is good to read from You again, Asta Sophi!
In my opinion You have hit the nail on the head. As You said, the Path of the Jedi (Realist) demands fitness and a healthy living of which, at least for me, fitness is a fixed part. In this way, I would say, it is not that important of what someone is doing as long as that what someone does add to his well feeling and healthy living. As we would say in German language “In a healthy body lives a healthy mind/spirit” and in my opinion this is what we are striving for, aren’t we?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Rebekah

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Exactly, I agree. And most people do, which is good to know too. I think we tend to expect other people to be more hard lined than they are, because the people who are hard lined in their beliefs are usually so loud about it. ;-)

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds