Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Polls on fitness - Page 2 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Polls on fitness

Poll: What is your current state and belief about fitness as a Jedi?

Fitness should be required.
12 20.7%
Any fitness should be optional.
1 1.7%
I have a fitness program of some kind.
10 17.2%
I do not have a fitness program.
No votes 0%
I intend to improve my fitness this year.
11 19%
I prefer set standards for everyone.
3 5.2%
I prefer personalized standards for everyone
7 12.1%
I prefer basic minimums with personalized standard
14 24.1%
Total number of voters: 27 ( Asta Sophi, Kai-An Tatok, Dineara, Sinistra, Chris-Tien Jinn ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

1, 3, 5, and 8 for me. (Assuming we're talking about Knighthood standards.) With respect to #8, though, I think we're liable to find something of a difference of opinion in just how "personalized" fitness standards should be, and possibly even the minimum required standards as well. But I'm hopeful research I'm doing right now will help in this regard.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1509

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I did my vote and it was as follows 1, 3, 5 and 7.
I went for 7 in the last one as for the given reason in the other thread where I posted my opinion of defining even minimum standards on fixed exercises, as it might be, for whatever reason, that some people will just not be able to meet one or more points of such a standard and why should they fail in showing fitness in general just because they are not meeting this point!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 94

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

To Andy's point about individualized requirements...

One idea I had over the weekend about it was to perhaps get knights-to-be hooked up with a personal trainer or something. Someone who could help the student develop a personalized training plan tailored to that individual. Accountability here is, I think, the key piece of it.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Nick
  • Falling is part of the journey
  • Thank you received: 184

Nick replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I choose 1, 3, 5 like most everyone else here.

I choose 8 for the reason that a minimum standard still must be achieved. The personalized standard is something which needs to be intended to go beyond the minimum requirements.

Accountability is important for certification, but it has always been easy for another Jedi to tell who is serious about the path, who is not, and who needs guidance.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Thank you received: 93

Athais replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I voted for basic minimums with personalized standards. I have a fitness program which includes weight loss, increased endurance, and strength development. I believe that everyone should be improving their physical abilities, or at least maintaining them at a level suitable for their age and ability. Of course, this is only my opinion and people vary from one to another. For me, physical fitness has become a priority, but that may not be a priority for everyone.

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I voted for the minimum standard but also having it personalized to fit the individual need in-case of health problems. I also respectfully offer, to the institute staff, a willingness to help with a fitness project or class if it's decided to go forward with this idea.

~~Bekah~~

• Ryan
  • Psych major and Ballroom dancer
  • Thank you received: 6

Ryan replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

I think that there should be no "fitness test" for a Jedi, however I do believe that it should be a requirement. I remember back in high school, the gym teachers would make everyone do a series of tests in order to "test our proficiency". Honestly, all that did was give kids big heads or feel bad about themselves. I feel that the process of getting in shape is more important than the desired goal. When I am taught how to maintain a healthy body, I feel more superior, because I can see the change. When I'm told I have to be able to lift some ridiculous block of metal that weighs more than myself, I don't feel too good about the situation anymore. Furthermore, when given a path in which to better one's fitness, one can continue this path for a lifetime. If one is given a "fitness test", one will most likely just prepare for the test, and then become lazy.

The reason I think it should be a requirement is because I myself am very out of shape. I'm 6'3" and weigh 130 pounds and I'm not that strong and I have low stamina. If there was ever an emergency situation where I had to do anything strenuous... well let's just say I feel bad for whoever I'm saving. I don't think a Jedi should be like that. Sure, they cannot all "save the world", but when given an emergency, a Jedi should be as prepared as possible, and sometimes that means heavy lifting or running long distances.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

Ryan, you should set some initial goals and add them to your PLP. For instance, pick a few simple exercises like pushups and situps which have a training program already available and begin to build strength and a habit of exercise. Then with 10 minutes every other day you're able to sneak it in and build good habits. It won't take long to realize you can sneak in a bit more time with more activities. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

Hmmm. I notice that no one admitted, in the poll, that they don't currently have a fitness program. However, out of the 20 voters, only 9 said they have a program, so does that mean that 11 do not? 10 did not say they intended to improve their fitness this year, so perhaps that is correct.

Also interesting is that 1 person said fitness shouldn't be required, but then voted for standards anyway (perhaps they were saying which version they would prefer IF fitness was required).

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: Re: Polls on fitness

That is certainly interesting. It's possible there are people who voted just once, not realizing they could or should vote more than once to get the other options.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds