Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Jedi Recipe Swap... - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Jedi Recipe Swap...

• Thank you received: 2

astasophi created the topic: Jedi Recipe Swap...

How about an "IJRS Cookbook" or a "Jedi Cookbook" where we basically swap recipes?

Especially those really healthy and good recipes - or those that we can tote around - or those that you can make in a snap?

Maybe some recipes that can be made over the campfire, or in other camping/emergency ways?

Maybe we could have some requests for possible recipes?

:redface  Heh - I'll start:  I have been looking for a decent vegan casserole.  One that isn't like soup - you know?  I'm also trying to stay away from salt.  I can handle whole wheat noodles but not white flour.    Now that cold weather is approaching it would be wonderful to cook up a casserole - a healthy one - and warm it up for lunches/dinners...

Anyone got one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1956

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Jedi Recipe Swap...

Campfire cooking!    Got a show locally that covers some of that.

Here is a nice website  >> eartheasy  <<  Nice because it shows a nice set of drawings on how to make a smart, efficient campfire cook setup.  Also has a number of campfire recipes (including a quick and easy 'bread' (Bannock) you cook on a stick!)

>>   http://eartheasy.com/play_campfire_cooking.htm  <<

Checking with my folks to see what kinds of campfire recipes they recall from their years of camping.

That website also touches on solar cooking but does not go into details.
I'd like to try that some time although.... making fire is an essential for me.... having been in a situation in the Rockies where the sun was dropping (so much for using my magnifying lens) and I had run out of matches.  Cold dinner was not such a big deal... but washing up in some melted snow stream water was brutally cold!

• Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: Re: Jedi Recipe Swap...

Ooh that's a great request Asta! This is a good idea. I'll have to think about our recipes.

• Thank you received: 10

Omni replied the topic: Mango Salsa

This is not my recipe but is super close and will get you the same thing....

Three Large Champagne Mangos or Another Variety
Two Large Red, Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers
3/4 lb to One lb of Tomatoes (Plum, Cherry, or Regular Are All Fine)
Three to Five Large or Six to Eight Small Celery stalks
*Optional* Two to Three Cobs of Very Freshly Picked Corn
*Optional* Cilantro or Another Herb of Your Choice
*Optional* Something to Serve it Over Such as Romaine Lettuce for "Burritos" or Green Leaf Mix for a Salad.

here is a link to this recipe....

www.raw-food-health.net/Mango-Salsa-Recipe.html

This image is of my Mango Salsa. YUM!

NOW is where I strive to be
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1916

Jax replied the topic: Re: Mango Salsa

That looks yummy, but, here's my stupid question. What do you eat it on? Or with? Or do you just eat it like fruit salad? What else do you eat with it to make a meal?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Alternatives to Gatorade

This was posted over in another thread and Jax asked me to put it in here too...

There have been recent articles about Gatorade and how drinking too much can be as 'bad' as not drinking anything but water after heavy exercise / sweltering heat. So here are some alternatives you can make yourself instead of passing out or carrying your own salt lick.

Remember, in all of these, you can vary (not eliminate!) the amount of salt or sweetener 'to taste'.

Homemade Gatorade #1

2 quarts water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 teaspoons salt (I use Sea Salt)
7 Tablespoons sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid

Mix, chill and serve.

Hay Time Switchel #1

2 cups sugar
1 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 gallon water

Heat all of the ingredients in 1 quart water until the ingredients are dissolved. Then add the remaining water. Chill and serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Haymaker’s Switchel #2 (similar, just slightly different proportions)

3 1/2 quarts water
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp. ground ginger

Mix liquids. Add ginger and stir thoroughly. Take to the field in jugs.

Homemade Gatorade #2

1 pack unsweetened Kool-aid (any flavor)
2 quarts cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup orange juice

Mix together.

This recipe below equals the electrolyte replacement found in many popular drinks on the market.

Electrolyte Replacement

1 cup water
1 Tablespoon orange juice or 2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tablespoon sugar – DO NOT use a low calorie sugar substitute
1 pinch salt

Add ingredients to water and shake well. Will keep at least 24 hours without refrigeration, weeks if kept cold. For those who do not like citrus, use 3 oz. of cranberry juice cocktail in 5 oz. of water but do not add sugar since the juice cocktail already has plenty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
  • Thank you received: 18

Tothian replied the topic: Re: Jedi Recipe Swap...

[url=http://www.http://tothian.blogspot.com/2011/11/tothian-pizza.html]Tothian Pizza[/url]

Here's a Pizza I discovered and popularized a few years ago. Philly Cheesesteak Pizza had never really been a mainstream pizza in the past. But when I tried it and discovered how delicious it was, I wanted others to be able to enjoy this kind of pizza the same way I did.

And it was even added to the Urban Dictionary! www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tothian+Pizza

There are different variations of it. The way I like to make it, is starting off one of two ways. The first layer could either be a thin layer of mozzarella cheese, or garlic sauce (butter w/ garlic powder), then the other one next. Then, you cook it for a few minutes, just enough to melt the cheese a little bit.

The steak should be cooked separately. You don't want to use that thick steak, you could just use either steakums, then shredded (and of course using a paper towel to absorb some of the grease), or you could also use sirloin beef steak, which starts off as like a frozen block of steak but once cooked, it starts to shred up a bit.

If I use the steakums slices, I don't mix any cheese with it yet.

If I use the beef sirloin steak, which shreds up, once it starts about getting cooked to where I want it, I put a few slices of american cheese in there and then mix it all up in that while it's cooking on the pan.

Then, the pizza should be out of the oven now, with the cheese melted a little bit. You place the steak on the pizza now.

If you used steakums, shred them up now and cover the entire top of the pizza with them. Then you rip the pieces of american cheese and spread those all over the pizza, which you'll see an example in the first picture, before I put the pizza back in the oven again the 2nd time.

If you used beef sirloin steak with the american cheese already cooked with it, you won't need to add any more american cheese on top.

Either way, sprinkle some more mozzarella cheese on top.

Then cook it in the oven or toaster oven at about 350 for approximately 10 minutes. And of course it's always good to pre-heat, too.

And again, since each one of you reading this has your own unique taste buds, you can feel free to make your own variations of it. There are some good secondary toppings I've tried with it, that I think go well with it, like mushrooms, and tomatoes. I haven't tried both of them at the same time on my Tothian Pizza, though. But if you like either of those toppings on your pizza, try it. You'll be glad you did.

Here's a picture of it before I put it in the oven:

Here is Tothian Pizza after I took it out of the oven. As you could see, it glows with awesomeness. And tastes unbearably delicious, too!

And should you decide to try it, feel free to contact me and let me know what you thought! Whether you like it or not! Although I feel pretty confident in saying that I think most people would enjoy it.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Jedi Recipe Swap...

I originally posted this in Yoshio's journal and he suggested this is one to add....

Staying Hydrated
If you can not drink tea on schedule or need a nice change from water & tea... consider watermelon.
Watermelon is packed full of nutrition, hydrates and is low-fat. While many of us think of watermelon as a great snack option, when you tally up its nutritive value, you might consider making this all-star a feature player in your cuisine.

Watermelons are an excellent source of several vitamins: vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is an antioxidant; vitamin C, which helps strengthen immunity, heal wounds, prevent cell damage, promote healthy teeth and gums; and vitamin B6, which helps brain function and helps convert protein to energy. Watermelons have a higher lycopene content (a powerful antioxydant) then tomatoes and that same 'stuff' helps against several forms of cancer -- prostate in particular so, worth munching.

It is a great source of potassium, which helps muscle and nerve function, helps maintain the body's proper electrolyte and acid-base balance, and helps lower the risk of high blood pressure and kind of a 'fun' alternative to chard and other greens. Watermelon also contains the amino acids citrulline and arginine, which can help maintain arteries, blood flow and overall cardiovascular function.

All VERY healthy... as a snack or maybe in a nice, light drink.

Watermelon Agua Fresca (Fresh Water)

- 3 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups water
- juice from 2-3 limes
- natural sweetener, to taste

In a blender, puree the watermelon, then strain it through a fine sieve. In a pitcher, mix the strained juice with water. Add lime juice and natural sweetener to taste. Serve cold over ice.

Being summer here (a sweltering heat index of 115F today!) this kind of drink is nice to have after coming back indoors and alot healthier then chugging manufactured 'sports drinks'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds