• Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1819

Kol Drake created the topic: WWTF - #0: A Primer

A Primer - Introduction
*My views; your mileage may vary*

The Force and 'Energy'

Two words which are probably the most widely used terms in the Jedi's vocabulary.  Unfortunately, they are words and we still struggle with just what they mean or are 'representing'.  It can be very confusing.   Some might call the 'energy' they work with psi, ki, chi, prana, manna or magick and each might have a 'piece' of being able to 'best describe' what the Force is and how it operates.  Each 'word' also has a whole 'history' behind it on how it is viewed and worked with;  different techniques for sensing it, and uses of each, etc.

Well and good, however, I am presenting this information to help folks understand that the Force and the 'energy' involved is really not complicated.  First things   first – toss out all those typical definitions of psi, ki, etc.!  The Force is so simple by itself, the second we try to break it up we confuse ourselves. So, from now on, it's energy. That's it.

The Force = Energy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: WWTF - #0: A Primer

Properties of the Force

Easy peasy.  Let us go from that simple, basic 'fact'.  Energy is everywhere.  It is inside of you, inside your muscles, inside your eyeballs;  it is also floating in the air and a part of deep space.  Energy is in your keyboard, your mousepad;  that rock, that tree, even the x-wing stuck in the swamp.  Everything that exists has energy because everything is made of energy. Energy can take on an infinite amount of forms. We can see the solid physical forms everywhere in this 3-D existence of ours. What else can it be?

Emotion, thought, spirits, will, instinct, light... anything you can think of is a 'form' energy can take.  Life energy, death energy, the food in your stomach, the imaginary friend you had as a child.  Still easy to understand and pretty much a semi 'law of our Universe'.  

Everything imaginable is made of energy.  

True, it is NOT tiny little bits of electricity like that which runs all of our appliances though, it does work with the brain and the brain generates electro-chemical 'zaps' to do it's thing.  Still, it is easier to think 'energy' right now then call it say – kklaptuzork – and then continue spending tons of time defining THAT word.

So, the Force is some form of, as yet, undefined energy, what next?   For the most part, there are two things you can do with energy - perceive and manipulate. Our bodies can perceive energy using the five senses along with other senses we tend to not use or have suppressed.   The primary means of manipulating energy is through thought. Others might do things different, say with rituals or prayer but, even those spring from thought.  So, in keeping with 'KISS' – Keep It Simple and Straightforward - we work with energy with our thoughts.

(( okay, that second 'S' was NOT what my drill sergeants used but... this is a family friendly post. ))  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat), Zariah

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Manipulating the Force

We start by first manipulating energy, then perceiving the energy we are manipulating.  I used to 'imagine' pushing about clouds and creating 'things' to make weather go around or away from where I lived.  Later, I did work with spinning small spinners and bending a spoon by touch. Much later I found an 'extinct', archived site created by practicing psi users and worked on their exercises.  I did not KNOW if I was doing it right until I actually started feeling it. That is the thing about working with the Force / Energy.  It is very much experiential.... not so much something to toss under a microscope to view or a scale to weigh.  You 'know it when it happens'.... and the more you can make it happen, the stronger the 'skill' becomes.  Just like exercising any other muscle (or brain muscle) in your body.

How I did 'do' this manipulation?  Through visualization.  Another 'word'.  (KISS time again.)    Visualization consists of thinking of something.  For example, if I say, think of an apple.  Just close your eyes and think of an apple. There. You just visualized an apple. The dictionary says, "To form a mental image of something." Oh, just picture it in your head.  That's 100% correct BUT it can be so much more then 'just' a picture.  You can think of its texture, its taste, its smell, and what it means to you.  Yes, you could just picture an apple floating in space, OR you can think of the taste and remember a time when you ate an apple and felt the juice in your mouth as you smelled its aroma. Visualization is imagination – using as many of your 'senses' as you can.

So, manipulate energy by visualization. The more focused you are, the more focused the energy will be.  It is why the IJRS emphasizes meditation.  To help with focus AND to learn to relax.   If I try to make an energy ball while talking on the phone, listening to music, and watching TV, I'm gonna have a lot of trouble. My thoughts would be scattered and my focus would not be all on the energy ball.   Being uptight or so keyed up about 'making it work' can also mess up 'the flow'.  You have to relax; be relaxed; not be expecting a specific result or forcing a result... it all has to flow.

Thought is energy.  If your thoughts are all over the place, your energy will be too.   By concentrating on one thing and not letting your mind wander, you are focusing the energy more.  What do you visualize?  Whatever you want.  Depends on what I am 'doing'.  A gust of energy 'wind',  rays of light or  jet of 'energy water' or bolts of crackling electricity.  Do not limit your imagination or what 'feels right' to you.  Think of a swarm of bugs, water, specks of dust, shards of glass, one of Spider-Man's 'web lines' or even something as complex as a x-wing fighter.  There is no "right" way to visualize energy. Do what makes sense to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fabiano O'Layden

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

The Source of the Force

Where the Force 'comes from' is a mote point.  We say, “it is everywhere and in everything” so, technically speaking, we can tap into it from anywhere.   Typically, the source of the Force energy is usually just a crutch for your mind to help you move the energy easier.  In the beginning (generally), you get energy from your body that has been stored up from the last couple meals you ate (orange juice is great for replenishing your body with the chemicals needed).  That does not mean the source of energy is a useless idea - visualizing the source as another object can sometimes transfer the energy to you.

A 'living example' gone bad?  Energy Leeches.  Also sometimes referred to as Energy Vampires.  You know the type – they walk into a room and drain what energy there is – or can step up and make you feel like you just ran a marathon... without moving an inch.  In this case, YOU are the source they are tapping.   Now, when YOU 'pick a source', work with your own energy but also be open to other energy sources when you reach outside yourself.  Rather then tapping people (although there are occasions when you might) – safer to go to what folks refer to as Universal or Unifying Force Energy.   (or for those working with a more magical bent, they can tap their respective magick frameworks, or those on a religious line, they can pull from 'the heavens', angelic sources, and the Prime Mover Him/Her/It's self.)  Geez, more 'words'.  

The IJRS touches on what these sources might be in their Force 101 lessons and it's something we still toss out for discussion on the forum.  Living Force, Unifying / Universal Force.  The SOURCE - God, Love, Light, Zero Point Energy, the 'web' that connects it all together.  See, that whole word thing again.  KISS time again too.  Let us just say that Universal Force Energy is some super cosmic, never ending supply of Energy.  It is a 'higher vibe' energy.  Not that Living Energy is not vibe-y; it is just a different thought form of the same juice filtered through our 3-D galaxy.   So, use your own energy or tap into the Source.  It all 'works' and again, do what is most comfortable for you.

Confusing?  I know.  Even when trying to KISS, it can get to be a bit of a ball of yarn.  Words and concepts can be like that when you are trying to describe something that is kind of … well, indescribable.  

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

A Simple Test of Sorts

Say we have a cut on our arm, and we want to heal it. (( I use this example since I mindlessly stretched overhead and whacked the #$%@ out of my knuckle, chopping a chunk out of it.  ))  Hammer time!  Invoke the Force! (( once I stopped swearing under my breath. ))

First, figure out what we are going to use to represent energy in our visualization;  what do we associate with healing?  Band-Aids!  Okay, now what can we use as a source of energy?  For this example we can use the Earth since it's so close and has tons of energy – so Living Force energy.

Hard bit next. Quiet the mind to help focus our thoughts. ((this came after the cussing))  Visualize a constant flow of energy which comes to the injury as an 'energy band-aid';  energy flowing from the Earth to our cut.  As the energy hits, we "feel" the band-aids closing up the wound and making it feel all better.  Keep this flow going for a while until we are satisfied.  Open our eyes and see... a chunk still missing from our knuckle.   What?  You thought we were jumping to instant body regeneration?  That is a bit beyond this 'introduction' lesson.  

Anyway, the cut is still there but it is okay though because not only did that help speed up the healing process, it also got us one step closer to becoming a healer.  Don't get me wrong, you can do anything with energy, but it takes practice.   I can tell you that my nice 'missing chunk' did not bleed like a fire hose.  Instead, I 'beamed' healing into the area and thought about it slowing and 'closing up'.  A tissue  and about a half dozen blots of semi blood and fluid and … it stopped.  Now, a good four hours later,  it is still pain free and a dark red shiny 'scab' is doing it's thing.   Some more 'beaming energy' tonight and in the morning and I should have a real knuckle back in short order.  Now, I know that sounds beyond simple.  But, it's the simple stuff we are going to be building from.  So, KISS it and make it all better.  :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai Sabu

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Perceiving Energy

So many want to SEE energy balls or the energy flowing from the ground or their body to the injury or along the 'web thread' attached to their buddy.  Yes, you can 'see' energy but, sight is not the end all and be all of sensing it.  Some folks never see auras or energy while others are awash in rainbows and trying to figure out what 'mud color' means.   Do NOT get hung up on one particular 'way' to do things or 'sense' things.

I try to NOT say, “Make an energy ball between your hands and feel the warmth.”  You will go on expecting 'warm' and if you do not sense / feel the heat, then you will think you have failed.  Not so.  Perhaps for you, it is an itchy feeling or a tingling or a cold sensation or slippery or rough or …. even some particular smell-a-vision or a buzzing or humming.  Personally, I have sensed energy as warmth to full on heat, to a chilled feeling, to once where it felt like I was moving my hand in something akin to 'mild resistance of the air' that turned to a cottony, draggy sensation.  All different feelings but... they were what happened; not what I expected.  Expectation can make you miss 'the results' since you are 'expecting' something entirely different.  Keep an open mind and senses.  

Practice.  We are working at developing those 'not regularly used sensing muscles' so we can consistently 'feel' the energy we will be working with.  So, the first step to perceiving energy, is to learn to feel it.  After you start feeling it, you develop your energy sensing naturally and, in time, that is what kicks in automatically.  

I refer anyone who will listen to Robert Bruce's NEW system.  He covers a very KISS way to start noticing the energy in your body and exercises to learn to get 'energy to follow thought';  focusing energy to specific spots in and around your body.  How to store energy.  How to use it to clean up the 'flow' around your body.   It is also in his books for Energy Healing and Astral Projection work but... I have an early pdf of his NEW specific work.   I also like it because he does not get bogged down in chakras and colors and naming nerve clusters and such.  He keeps it KISS.

Here is a very simplified practice based on Bruce's stuff – so you can learn to perceive energy.  
Try visualizing energy beaming into parts of your body and see if you can feel something there. “See” yourself absorbing energy from the Earth through your feet just to feel the tingly sensation throughout your legs.  After you get 'pretty good' at this, work on giving yourself little 'energy boosts' with energy rushes through or up your spine.  (( of course, I 'do' this while typing on it.  I generated a handful of 'tingly spine rushes' up which built to include partially going down both arms.... and that was without Earth channeling.  Gee.. now I am sitting up straighter!  :D  ))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai Sabu

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

In Closing

I know, I know.  This is supposed to be 'Advanced Force Training' and THIS stuff truly is easy.  A little KISS and practice and ta-dah.  What is so advanced about this?  Well.  It all begins with the basics.  With a firm foundation you can then build on and from which, these 'simple things' springboard you to where you can do some amazing things.   Some things may seem 'gee whiz' while others might come in handy for those who are in the healing / massage / reiki arena.   Or those who want to dive deeper into touching the 'web that connects us all together'.  Or, going inward to fly outward into the cosmos.  It can get complicated but, it can be really simple with a good foundation.

Folks will still debate what the Force is or how it is 'like' the Tao or as espoused in Zen Buddhism or whatever.  I am working more along the idea of … it is what it is and here are 'ways' to work with it.  Hopefully, this and the forthcoming posts will help those who want to sharpen their Force senses and skills.

April, 6, 2012 -- Originally, this was posted as a 'maybe someday' start to some "Advanced Force Training" material. As the date can attest, it's been sitting around a while. AND, it ended up being a better 'primer/introduction' to the Force then anything advanced. So.. this is why it starts off the way it does and the follow up notes have a waaay different title reference.

• Thank you received: 1829

Jax replied the topic: Re: AFT - Getting Started

I think the many posts from almost everyone redoing the meditation course that involve 'I didn't realize I wasn't doing this' shows the value of the basics and not assuming they are still present within us. ;-) 

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: AFT - Getting Started

Kol - I like the way you presented that!  (As you know - especially as a newbie - I was really uncomfortable with some of the discussion I encountered on the Force and the more esoteric...  NOT here - but at some other sites it was... well... a bit much for very new people to this kind of thing.)

Jax - AGREED!

:ponder  Makes me realize that all the times "the same old discussions" come up with newbies - perhaps it is a way to look at what they are saying and help both them and ourselves by trying to see that deeper meaning in that "same old - same old"...?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: AFT - Getting Started

A bit of random musing on the Force...

The Force comes from your heart, from your feelings, from your deepest expressions of desire.
That is why 'going to the Dark Side' is so easy -- it can come from lust, from fear and anger, from things that are easy to feed and make grow.

Going to the Light Side is harder. Why?
It comes from something deeper than that -- a truer and purer source -- harder to tap, harder to keep, but ultimately more elegant, more powerful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedi Initiate H, Katie (StormyKat)

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds