Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

• David (Phoenix)
  • David (Phoenix)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) created the topic: Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

" Two weeks of vacation to offset a year's worth of stress isn't enough. If you stress daily, you need to de-stress daily. It's that simple."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

Pretty logical to me! Now to implement...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

We choose our stresses. I always have to remember: "I WANT to do Opera this semester. it adds to my resume."
lol

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Katie (StormyKat), Kai Sabu

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

Actually I think that is an important distinction Connor!

See, when I read that quote, I thought of how we need to incorporate things like meditation in order to balance out the stress. But sometimes, we do actively choose our stress, so we need to recognize that and make sure that that stress is actually something that is adding to our lives (like a resume). Thanks for that addition :)

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

Connor brings up an interesting point. How much of our stress do we actually choose? I was going to say I don't choose X, Y, and Z types of stress...then I realized I do by staying at my job. I choose to deal with the traffic, with the long days, the short staff, the difficultly emotional days.

I don't necessarily chose the stress related to not having money for my medical care. I guess there is an argument to be made that I don't choose to stress about the state of the world (perhaps I do...as I said, there is an argument to be made). I don't know how much of my stress I choose vs. what is caused by my Anxiety---I tend to freak out over things. I have gotten better, yet there is still some element that I can't control.
I totally assumed Timber Hawkeye was talking about destressing, however, being familiar with his work, I can see how he would also promote being aware of what/where your stress is coming from.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

Well Time Ferris says something along the lines of the 80/20 principle which is 80% of your stress is caused by 20% of your problems. So when I heard that, the trick was finding the 1 or 2 things causing me the most stress and adjust course. You usually know what they are. And if you're being honest with yourself, you know how to handle them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/table]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Re:Daily Diamond: March 17, Timber Hawkeye

All good points. We rarely cognitively choose our stress. But we do choose them at some level through our other choices, including how we react to things. Personally, I'm good at stressing. But I'm also working on it and feeling the benefits of that. I've been told some of the weight I regained after maternity leave was stress and lack of sleep. So working on that will help my body feel better. Remembering that I choose everything in my life helps. I just need to apply my tools and see things improve through them.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds