Daily Diamond: March 4 - Morality

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax created the topic: Daily Diamond: March 4 - Morality

“Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.” – Oscar Wilde

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 4 - Morality

I found this quote really interesting today. From one perspective, morality is what you invoke when you aren't already naturally doing the most benevolent thing. It reminds me of a quote in Doctor Who with the 11th doctor.

Madame Kovarian: The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.
The Doctor: Good men don’t need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
www.planetclaire.tv/quotes/doctorwho/series-six/a-good-man-goes-to-war/

I would say, benevolent people don't need morality. That intention, that focus in life means rules are not needed because they are guided by the Force to what is benevolent and thus the highest action to take. That's my goal for my life, personally. I find it comes up in unexpectedly awesome ways. If I can live a life with no need for morals and rules, I believe I have found spiritual mastery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 4 - Morality

This made me so happy to see a Doctor Who quote worked into the Daily Diamond.

It is true. I would love to not have to have rules. I am still working on myself and find I have times when I do need those rules.

If I can live a life with no need for morals and rules, I believe I have found spiritual mastery.

I never thought of it that way, but that is amazing. Something new to work towards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

:-)
A Jedi example is how we teach people the code early on. But after a bit of time walking the path I literally never think about it unless someone brings it up. I'm simply walking it without thinking about it.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Daily Diamond: March 4 - Morality

I was thinking about this more on Thursday, let me think if I can recapture my thought. I think morality applies not just to the people we dislike, but also to the people who can't do anything for us, especially when we are in a position of power. I mean, especially when making decisions regarding gaining and/or keeping power. If I can think of my example again I will share it.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I tend to think of morality stepping in when our empathy fails. Ideally we wouldn't need it. But since we all fall into our humanity at times, we have rules that we call morals. I look forward to your continued thoughts on this.

Time to create page: 0.718 seconds