The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor created the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

"Here I am, closer to 50 than 40 and I’m really stuck in a rut. I have been a journeyman across my working life, probably the equivalent of a Triple A baseball player that has never quite got the call up to the majors but is an important part of the team.
The majority of my roles have been in customer service (both government and private), call centres (inbound), counter service (government), or service industries (health & fitness). I have risen to the role of team leader/coordinator on a regular basis, but have not been able to make the transition to the next level.
I left my previous role due to the office politics and have found myself working entry level in an inbound call centre in a large financial institution. My last career aspiration was to work in stock broking back in the 90, which I succeeded in, but 9 years in the broking industry burned me out.
I have struggled to find my passion which has affected my career selection, I have just meandered along. Although not being able to find a passion hasn’t stopped me from having a good work ethic, where ever I am employed. Whenever I have done the Briggs Myers surveys I usually end up right in the middle, able to bring a wide variety of skills to any opportunity."
-/u/disturbedsleep in www.reddit.com/r/findapath/comments/4629fm/closer_to_50_than_40_and_realise_ive_never_really/

Closer to 50 than 40 and now realizing he's never had anything more than a job.

What about you?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Re:The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

While my jobs have just been jobs, ijrs is my passion. I am building a life that doesn't require a job but where my passion (aka jedi related stuff) supports me. Very in progress though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

Totally something I am working on. I briefly had something more than a job and it burnt me out. Working on finding a passion, a career, a something more than a job. Damn slow process though. Have a passion but need to pull back from it a little as it goes hand in hand with my compassion fatigue.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

"There is no passion, there is serenity" "passion, yet serenity."

Passion is an interesting concept. For me, my passion is business. Is there suffering? (The root of passion) I guess it depends how you look at it. Business is definitely my passion; working 60 hour work weeks making only $30 a day is not a passion, but part of the territory I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 1444

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

On one hand I'm like Jax, meaning that I do not live for to work but more like to work so that I'm able to do the things I want to do in my life which there are several but maybe the most important ones are my Jedi Path and studying martial arts.
This hasn't always been that way but unfortunately or fortunately, although I started my jobs from passion or maybe better said great interest, I had to experience that non of them had been what I really had been looking for. But thanks to this process I now became clear that my "job", my call needs to include the possibility to help other people through my knowledge and action. That is why I do find myself now in the transition - although, to be honest, it still is only the idea and no "physical" actions have yet been taken - to become self-employed and to start my own business as a Feng Shui Consultant.
Will it work out? I don't know yet but I'm certain that this is what I really want to do and therefore I'm certain that I'm successful.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

yoshio, did you originally start your career from a passion though? I know I did. It just didn't work so well in the end. lol Now I use the job to my advantage and work to transition into something more.

• Thank you received: 1444

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 16, Random Guy from Reddit

Hmm, I don't know if it would qualify for passion!? My first real job had been working as a building side manager which I "studied" before at a technical school.
I would put it more the way that I really loved and still love architecture and see things, in this case buildings, come true or real.
When I started my job, I really enjoyed it as it was all new and fascinating and the best moments had been when the new owners finally moved in into their new homes and everything had been to their satisfaction. Unfortunately, as in so many other areas as well, there had always been the pressure of money and being the building side manager, I found myself always, so to say, between the chairs of the craftsman, building companies, the architect - for whom I worked - and the future owners.
This problem in combination with that I couldn't see a clear future perspective finally made me quite this job and study about aerospace engineering which I still see as one of my real passions. I loved aeroplanes and everything which flies since I had been a small boy. But, and I guess I don't need to tell You, Jax, as You worked for NASA, reality had been far from what I imagined that designing and building aeroplanes would be like. In the end, although aerospace engineer really sounds cool, it is just another mechanical engineering job and the work I do, I could do for any other company in any other business as well and that is my current problem, because this is not why I once decided to make this shift and started to seriously study about aeropsace engineering.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds