The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor created the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." - Epitetus

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

Could this be said another way as "Choose, then act" ?

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

Yup. I'd say Epictetus's is colored with a more "forward" terminology. Empowerment is the name of the game!

I can see that. That is one reason why we have multiple quotes with similar topics since the energy can be different.

One thing I would add to it is that creation is more than just the doing. The more our energy aligns with our choice, the more quickly we create. As such, examining your beliefs around what you choose allows you to remove what gets in the way of the goal. Also, make sure you are choosing from lightness, and not heaviness (or from expansion instead of contraction) for the most effective creation. Abraham tends to focus on 'feeling good' which is another way to look at lightness. Of course this is all a matter of degrees. Choosing and acting is still going to create more than not acting. And more than fantasy which isn't really choosing but avoiding real choices.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

It could be, also, that in Epictetus the translation gets in the way. We don't know what he said in the original language. Because of that thread on language we had a couple of days ago, I have begun thinking very critically of "translated" works.

It could very well be that he meant that in "doing" what one has to do, this is synonymous with choice. The translation says the first part using the conditional tense, right? "would be". It's possible that we're missing part of what Epictetus is getting at. This should be prefaced or have some explanation afterward in regards to how one decides on that "would be" choice, yes? So, you've filled in the gaps here, which is very helpful for those reading.

Good point, who knows what he meant since now we have the translation. Translations are easily as flawed as history, reflecting the ideals of the translator more than the original author.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

• Thank you received: 1444

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

Ah, good old Epictetus! I just recently finished to read the book "Greeks to Geeks" which deals with Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius or better said Stoicism and how we can make use of it in modern times.
For me, this quote goes along the same line of: "What you seek, you already are." by Deepak Chopra. The "problem" with that is, that one needs to believe in it and then act accordingly otherwise it is not going to happen, to manifest in this world.

As for translation, getting lost in it and that words are easily changed and therefore a meaning of a sentence can be completely reversed.
For me the maybe most impressive example is what an old teacher of mine once told us. He said that in the Bible it is written: "Macht euch die Erde untertan." which might be translated into English as: "Subdue the Earth." The interesting part on this "statement is, if one just changes the article in German language, the whole sentence gets a completely different meaning as: "Macht euch der Erde untertan." would more likely be along the line of: "Serve the Earth."
A bit more about this topic can be found here: Dominium terrae Unfortunately it seems like the English version of the wiki entry doesn't say anything about newer interpretation of the old Hebrew text and that the Hebrew verb "kabasch" does actually have more meanings, interpretations than what is used in the Bible.
So, yes, best would be if we could always read things in the original and sorry for my off-topic writing. :meditate

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor, Jax

Jax replied the topic: Re:The Daily Diamond: Feb 11, Epictetus

That's interesting. Thank you Yoshio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds