The new kids

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax created the topic: The new kids

Children coming forth today have a greater capacity to deal with the greater variety of information that is coming forward than you did. They deliberately are coming forth into this environment where there is more to contemplate. This generation gap that you are talking about, it has ever been thus. Each new generation, every new individual, that comes forth, is coming with you having prepared a different platform for them to proceed from. There is this thing that gets in the way of that that says, "I'm the parent. I got here first. I know more than you do." From the children's perspective, and from the purity of their Nonphysical Perspective, what they are saying is, "You're the parent. You got here first. You prepared a platform that I am leaping off from — and my leap will be beyond anything that you have ever known."

---Abraham

Excerpted from: San Rafael, CA on February 27, 1999

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1445

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The new kids

Many thanks for sharing this with us and it is very true! Not only for our children but also for us and in many other areas of our lives as well and we should be more than happy for that to be so as otherwise it would mean that we all have to start from zero and have to go through all the things others already went through again and again. This, obviously, would then mean that we wouldn't be able to progress and to develop. As it is said, only the student has the potential to overcome the master. :meditate

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: The new kids

It goes against what we're taught in this world though. So even when aware of it, it's easy to slip into thinking that you know better than your kid. Take electronics for example. The research is typically done on the previous generation, which doesn't automatically apply to the new generation. So while the prior generation (aka us) did poorly with too much electronic/tv time, this generation may not be as affected. They are born into a world that has electronics everywhere. They have brains built for them. That doesn't mean we go overboard, because they too need to interact with the natural world, to find quiet and work with their bodies not just their fingers. It's all a matter of balance and learning to be really aware with children.

As I'm sure you're discovering already Yoshio, everyone has an opinion on raising kids. Some are based on more awareness than others, but even the most aware of their own kids can forget that every kid is different. Every day I'm grateful that my wife is very aware and does a good job with our daughter, but we also balance each other out. We provide different things to Melody and are there to help when the other gets too stressed over her never ending energy. There are days we let her watch multiple episodes of sesame street (many a new word or skill has come from this show). We also try to get her outside every day too. And from time to time we run away to the mountains for us all to recharge. Her food intake is the most obvious example of her awareness though. We've seen her turn down cookies in favor of oranges when she was sick. She has days where she only wants protein, other days where she only wants to nurse, and some days it's all about the sugar. She listens to her body, we often don't. The trick is to try not to force her to eat (which is impossible with a toddler anyway lol).

I hope that's beneficial for you. I know you're about 2 years from this point, but it will come so fast!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 1445

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The new kids

Aye, although this is, as You said, still ahead of us I already can see what You are talking about in how my brother and sister-in-law raise their son, my nephew. I'm also very grateful for the book You recommended me (Brain Rules). It is a very interesting read and does give me a slight idea of what there is to come and what I need to be aware of. I feel that the "trick" is to work together as a team when raising a baby/child and finding the balance between freedom and rules. Although I'm very curious and very much looking forward to everything which there is to come, I'm also worried about if I can do a good "job" and not be too stubborn in my points of view and my take on things.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

It is simply a state of mind. And kids have a great ability to force us to not be stubborn. :-) Teamwork is incredibly important as well!

• Thank you received: 87

Kai Sabu replied the topic: The new kids

I definitely appreciate this quote! As a "millennial" working in higher ed, I hear my generation being put down all the time. I'm actually in more of a micro-generation caught between Gen X and the millennials, so I feel like I have a bit of an insider's perspective on both. I'm a huge believer that younger people should learn from and honor the past, but it is also so important for their elders to acknowledge that the new world requires different ways and adaptations than the world they experienced did.

As I stare down the barrel of parenthood, I'm not yet sure of what this will mean in my own family. I think a willingness to stay open to new ideas while also evaluating them in light of past generations' wisdom will be important.

--Kelly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

That's a good place to start with it. :-)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds