Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Language Study Introduction - Page 2 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Language Study Introduction

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Well then! haha. She might have some experience. :P

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7

Tzondraa replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Yes I hope so ^^
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

• Thank you received: 16

Zan replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Hi,

My english is still limited but I can definitively help you with your french.

Song of a Pathless Path
I-AM the EternalStillpoint, Existing Here/Now, Being all ways, UNique, All-Embracing & Pervading
wise & learning creatively, serene yet naturally ardent, crafting the realm of potentialities with optimal efficiency

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yundo! Would you like help with English at all?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zan

• Thank you received: 16

Zan replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Hi Connor,

It's okay for now, but if I really need help, I won't hesitate to contact you. Thank you !

Song of a Pathless Path
I-AM the EternalStillpoint, Existing Here/Now, Being all ways, UNique, All-Embracing & Pervading
wise & learning creatively, serene yet naturally ardent, crafting the realm of potentialities with optimal efficiency

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Appreciated. That's what we're here for.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zan

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Reminds me of a story told by our neighbor -- who's son learned Japanese long ago.

Seems he was pretty good but kept getting odd responses in his earliest days while living in Japan. According to his parents, it had to do with the fact he had learned / been taught all his language skills by working with and learning from females. Something about there being a female language structure versus male usage component?

Aye, actually there is but as with many things these days, this gets less and less to my experience.
For example to address one's own person in English everyone would us "I". But in Japanese one has several options. For example in an official situation or one in which one don't know everyone Japanese tend to say "watashi" but if the situation becomes more "informal" maybe like in a class it could happen that a female starts to use "watakushi" which sounds similar but is used only by females in Japan. If a male hangs out with his friends or back home in his family he might use "boku" instead of "watashi" but in an official situation this would be taken as rude.
Furthermore there are more subtle ways to differ which might not be understandable or even noticeable by a non Japanese and because of that, if one doesn't get them taught it might sound funny to Japanese. Here I mean things like "water" which is translated by "misu" into Japanese. In a talk it is likely that a female person will address it with "o-misu" using the "o" to make it sound more polite but a male might never use the prefix for this subject, at least not as long as it is not a super, highly official situation. The same would go for meat or fish which would be "sakana" for "fish" and "niku" for "meat" which both again are address by males without the "o" prefix but like to be addressed by female with it.
Finally and with that I would like to end this rant, when one is going to use the basic form and not any longer the neutral or "-desu/-masu" form, asking a question will change and will be asked differently by female and males. In the desu-masu-form one puts the "word" "ka" at the end of a sentence to make it a question. For example "Today it is cold." can be translated as "Kyou ha samui desu." If a Japanese now wants to ask me if it is cold today they would say: "Kyou ha samui desu ka." In the basic form this would become for female "Kyou ha samui na no?" and for male "Kyou ha samui?"
Anyway, a good Japanese language teacher has to be aware of that and has to be able to teach the subtle differences doesn't matter the teacher is female or male, at least my Japanese teacher did taught the girls in class differently than the boys.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Rebekah, Jax

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Connor, I've been studying Spanish (Spain/Formal) from Rosetta Stone. I'm almost to the first test with that and where they offer private lessons. I'm not very consistent with it at this point but would be greatfull for a mentor as I work on this. It's always been one of my greatest challenges and weaknesses. Ended up dropping out of my high school spanish class because I couldn't keep up.

~~Bekah~~

• Thank you received: 36

Sam Thift replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Kol Drake wrote: Wish they had Russian. Then I could brush up on my old military language training.

Now, it's either German or Irish or reliving my junior high and high school days of French.

Too bad they don't cover Chinese or Japanese. :(

Kol Drake:

Old topic, I know...but Duolingo does in fact have Русский сейчас...I have been self studying through there a bit, and am on the first disc of Pimsleur's III.B audio course ...been getting those through the library and listening to lessons during the daily commute... Probably nearing a point where I need to start "practicing" with actual people. Are you conversant?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

My language training was through the U.S. Army back in the late 1970s. Recently, my daughter has 'gone Navy' and been trained in the same langage... so, I've been slowly brushing up on my old skills. Unfortunately, conversational Russian is a ways off for me.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds