Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Language Study Introduction - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Language Study Introduction

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor created the topic: Language Study Introduction

If you are interested in learning a language, we can help!

I am personally acquainted with German, Italian, Spanish, French, and English. And, we'll soon have people with more language experience (I hope). So, if you want to learn languages, then this is the procedure:

1. If it is German, Italian, Spanish, French, or English, feel free to use me as your Mentor. I will happily converse with you in the language of your choice to help you learn (by writing, and later on, by speaking). So, PM me and ask for a mentorship in language.

2. Go to duolingo.com and begin the language lessons. Once you are through the first level (not the intro, but the first test), then message me your profile, and then we can begin working together.

3. Begin a journal in this subforum in a language you're learning. Feel free to make mistakes! And, use simple sentences at first. Basic like:

"I trained today for an hour at the gym."

If it is a language other than the ones above, I can't help you right now, but let me know and I will work very hard to find somebody with whom you can work. I am hoping that someday soon I can converse in an Asian language like Mandarin or Japanese, but those are going to take years to even hope to work with it. haha.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Hey Connor!
Interesting idea and I would like to offer my help with German. I’m a native Austrian so therefore my German might not be always standard but for getting started it might not make a difference and even might not be noticeable by a beginner! ;)

Furthermore, as I’m still learning Japanese, I would be happy to find someone with whom I can practice this language beside my wife.

Finally I would be very happy and would appreciate it a lot if someone would do me the favour of checking my English as I do know that I’m not perfect. If someone would be so kind, I guess the best start point could be my PTD as there I normally would post nearly every day. But please, for you Americans, please keep in mind that I learned British English and therefore my spelling and some words might sound a bit odd to you. ;)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

:D Fantastic! Yoshio, I'd love to have you help whoever approaches you as a potential mentor. :) When I get my Japanese up to snuff, I'll let you know!

EDIT: Grammar is hard.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Wish they had Russian. Then I could brush up on my old military language training.

Now, it's either German or Irish or reliving my junior high and high school days of French.

Too bad they don't cover Chinese or Japanese. :(

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Can you imagine how complex Chinese and Japanese would work on a screen? It's probably not so easy.

When you say Irish, I assume you're referring to Gaelic? A FABULOUS language.

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Oh, at the core Japanese is not all that difficult! Actually it is a very logic language. What do make it difficult are all the different forms of politeness and who has to use which from when talking to whom. But Japanese do not expect that a Non-Japanese knows about it or knows how and when to use correctly. This means, at least in the beginning, it is enough when one understands that there is a basic form and a neutral polite form which can be used by everyone when talking to anyone. This neutral polite form is also referred to as “desu / masu form”.
What I found out when I started to learn Japanese is to not try to learn it from a book but find yourself a tandem partner to whom you can speak to. In general I feel that speaking a language makes it much easier to learn it than to try to study it from a book.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

Reminds me of a story told by our neighbor -- who's son learned Japanese long ago.

Seems he was pretty good but kept getting odd responses in his earliest days while living in Japan. According to his parents, it had to do with the fact he had learned / been taught all his language skills by working with and learning from females. Something about there being a female language structure versus male usage component?

• Thank you received: 7

Tzondraa replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

If someone needs help with german, I can help too ;)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Tzondraa, what experience do you have with the language?

• Jax
  • Away
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1905

Jax replied the topic: Language Study Introduction

She is German. ;-)

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds