Ask the Guidance Counselor

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

Hello Michael. I'm the guidance counselor. :) Do you have your PLP form yet?

If not, you can download it from here. instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/training/downloads

Once you've started looking it over, let me know if you have any questions.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Michael Willows replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

yes I have it downloaded. I just wanted to make sure exactly how i Did a few things like listing experiences and such

• Thank you received: 1898

Jax replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

Michael, you cannot do the PLP until you post your intro course assignments and we have provided feedback. There will be clarifications made throughout the intro course that will make it easier to understand the PLP. Besides, we can't help until we know you better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Willows

• Thank you received: 0

Michael Willows replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

oh whoops sorry about that! I will re-look over everything after work tonight =)

• Thank you received: 1898

Jax replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

Make sure it goes here: instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/71-introductory-course

Looking forward to seeing your work.

• Thank you received: 109

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

Hello, Jax

I've been looking at your introduction course and even tried out one of the meditations. You seem to have a very good initiate program here, and I was very tempted to sign on. However, I am undergoing training in another page (and have been for a while) and don't have as much time as I'd like to have, so if I started up training here it would be to have some kind of self-study going on that I can dabble with in available moments. At least until I've finished training already started somewhere else. I read you expect it to take 4-6 months to get through the introduction course, is this a set time that you'd prefer the students keep to? I am not saying I'm a casual initiate, simply that I've taken on quite a load as it is, so I will neither be as effective nor as quick as most the other initiates. Would this be a problem? I can still dabble, of course, but then I would wait with posting any assignments and such until I can focus on only this. It's also hard to predict how much time I'd have, considering I would be doing assignments here while waiting for assignments elsewhere. I am asking as I am a bit careful about increasing my workload too much at this point, and I don't want to start up something that I might not be able to come through with in the most satisfying way, if that makes sense?

Also, those hours you demand, I could start gathering up those. Some questions, I am a moderator at the Jedi Church, I suppose this would count under service? It would be hard to estimate a number of hours, as I am there pretty much every day. However, as it can only count for 10 out of the 50 hours anyways, I think I'd be within that (at least) within a month or so. What kind of "evidence" would I use to get this signed off? I can probably have lead admin confirm it on FB. I'm also starting up a self-defense thingy (Krav Maga) in January that could count, and I can probably get a written confirmation from the course leader. That would make up 20/50 hours though. I would then need something for the other 30 hours, and I am a bit stumped as to what else to add. But I can think about that later (and would appreciate any tips or suggestions), just wanted to get some clarification, as this would require a bit of planning.

Peace be with you,
Anirac :)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."

• Thank you received: 1486

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

Although I’m, obviously, not Jax, I guess, I can answer your questions. ;)

In general all our courses are self-paced which means that any student can do them as fast or slow as they want. The only “limitation” to this would be that if there is a longer break – so to say no consistency – and the coursework is still not finished after a year, we would strongly request the candidate to re-evaluate the answers given as it is quite like that one’s point of view will have changed due to the experiences gained during this year.

As for the hours, these hours are needed when one is taking the Novice exam. Therefore they are not meant to be done when filling in the PLP.
Krav Maga and your service as a moderator at the Jedi Church, as far as it belongs to me, will count but with the limitation, as You already stated it, only up to a max of 10 hours.
As for the evidence You have several options to “prove” it. Most official one would be, as You suggested yourself, a confirmation through a third party directly to us. The most personal one would be You creating a journal or PTD (Personal Training Diary) here at the IJRS board in which You report about your experiences when doing those activities and how You found them beneficial for your personal Jedi Path. In between more or less everything is possible but, obviously, the final word would be on our side.
Just have a look at other people’s PLP and see what they did. I guess, this would give You a good feeling of what we expect.

Should You have any further questions or should something be unclear from my writing, please, don’t hesitate to ask again.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix)

It's not a problem to me that you're not Jax, lol, and thank you for the answer :)

Ah, yes, I want to stress that I am in no way looking to rush things, or get to any exams faster than I'll be able to, my questions were merely as I saw this hour requirement and realised that would take both time and planning, so better get an idea of where to start early,

I've in any case filled out the form, so I'll await the further instructions to ask any more questions.

I've started by reading through the introduction course and noted down assignments belonging to that.

Thank you again for the help.

Anirac

• Thank you received: 1486

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor

You are welcome!

And there is one more thing I wanted to add after reading your post, if You want to do Jax and me a favour, please don’t “finish” all your assignments somehow “off site” and then post them all at once as doing so would take away the chance from us to response individually to the single assignments and have some “room” for “discussion” before the next assignment gets posted.
But if You prefer to do them all “off site” and post them “at once” we will also be able to handle that. ;)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Ah, absolutely no problem, I will keep this in mind.
Finish assignments in an orderly fashion with room for discussion and response along the way :)

I am feeling no need to make it harder than it has to be, lol

:)

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds