Nemo's PLP

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

I'm almost 19 but still live home, and my parents are overprotective. Because I got a physical handicap and they think I can not take care of myself. Plus physical work is indeed hard for me.

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

Physical work isn't necessarily the only thing you can do. Don't stress yourself about those kinds of things without talking to whoever has primary care over your specific handicap.

There are other volunteer things you can do. Do you have any skills that set you apart? Avid Reader? Graphic Design? Computer skills? Musical skills? Etc.?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1939

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

Several years ago, we had some others who could not 'do' martial arts or multiple back flipping somersaults due to some physical constraints.

Though the 'hard core' Jedi in Training stuck to the idea that 'a Jedi KNIGHT' had to be able to be a cross between Bruce Lee (with a lightsaber) and the hopping flipping 'young' Obi Won Kenobi (with a lightsaber) as well as a paramedic, soldier, and diplomat (with a ligthsaber)... many came to understand that, not all Jedi *had to be* the front line soldiers/generals. Many helped teach the kidlets, or worked the legal side of things or were strictly healers rather then 'damage-ers' or cooked the meals or trained folks in other skills like electronics or philosophy or whatnot. Yes, they trained along similar line but, even some aliens could not 'do' the same things since their physical differences meant they didn't bend the same, etc.

But, the general stuff. Learning the Jedi Creed and general philosophy; meditating and focusing; energy balancing and beyond --- those kinds of things are still possible. And, surprisingly, we did have one person in a wheelchair who started training with short sticks called eskrima. While they could not *do* the fancy footwork; they had good movement in their upper body and arms and learned some basic moves.... and used them as added physical therapy. Of course, it helped that they found an instructor who could work with them, etc.

BUT... the main idea is -- yes, you can study all these things and have a good working knowledge. But, if you are physically limited; no one here is going to "kick you out" if you can't carry a body using a fireman's carry or knock out half a million push-ups or such.

Study and take to heart what you can knowledge wise. See where these lessons can take you... perhaps you have skills you have yet to explore. DO those things you can do physically -- and if you are unable to do 'stuff' due to impairment... consider what you *might* be able to do... even if it's learning to fold origami cranes one handed. Trust me, it's tougher then you think and is great for focus... until you gain muscle memory and can do it while thinking/focusing elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Thank you guys. I know it's no problem that I never really can fight, that isn't also possible for me, I even don't want that to be, I just want to have a better and healthier body, this because I think I would feel better, physical and mental.

I just phoned a farmer and I can work there. It adds up to 130 hours, but just for one week ofc, so I will search something to do that I can do before and after this activitie.

Personal Learning Plan
Name: Nemo Martens
Advisor: RiddleNox/Connor
Date: June 24, 2013
Rank working toward: Adept Rank

Integrative Pratice Hours

Activity 1: Farmwork
Date Completed by: August 1, 2013
Number of Hours: 80h (one week)
Volunteer work on a care farm in the Netherlands. It is not official, I'm just helping there and I have a sleeping place etc... I got food every day from the farmer and his wife. I don't want to see it like that, but is in some way my "payment".

Activity 2: Reading 3 books
Date Completed by: August 10, 2013
Number of Hours: 15h

1: The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
2: De kleren van de yogi (The clothes of the yogi) by Wim van der Zwan (A dutch book, about silence - I can learn much from it)
3: This book is still a misery...
I choosed a third book because I won't have much time during activity 1. So it is more spread.

Activity 3: Away with the weight, hello condition!
Date Completed by: August 31, 2013
Number of Hours: 40h

The idea to do this is going to bike - I thought 1 hour to the day (So 5h/2 weeks) -, go swimming 2 times a week (2h/week), training home. I don't know how much time it wil take but I think something like 1 - 2 hours a week. I already found a professional training program.
Later on I want to start again with Aikido. But now I can't do it, money problems + most sportclubs are closed during summer.

Activity 4: Watching 2 movies
Date Completed by: August 31, 2013
Number of Hours: 10h
I have no idea, which one, ideas? I'm terrible in finding good movies.

Total Hours = 135h
Institute Courses

Course: Intro Course.
Completed on: June 21, 2013

Course: Meditation.
Completed by: August 24, 2013

Course: Force 101.
Completed by: September 24, 2013

Additional Goals:

CPR Certification: _________ if none: Date of Completion:

First Aid Certification: _________ if none: Date of Completion:

I already did an official First Aid course on my school. I will do it again because I think this will be more professional and my attitude will also be different. One remark, there is a difference betwene these two courses in America and in Belgium (I think) because I got the CPR course in my First Aid course.

Personal Goals:

- Get a healthier life: Stop smoking and think about what I eat.
- Try to have more controle over my life and organise everything: like having an
agenda, try to hold my room always clean,...
- Be honest to everyone also myself.
- Try to find a studentjob and do it, I am already doing this. Also I want to try to have a normal and healthy life when I am working.

Obstacles you face in achieving those Goals:

- Boredom and social activities.
- My chaotic character.
- I don't know, I suppose myself.
- Lack of time - I am a little bit late - and tiredness.

Solutions to those Obstacles:

- Do as much social things as possible and tell people around me that I quit
smoking.
- Make a moment free for myself, I think that meditation will help me a lot.
- Try to think about what I am going to say or do. Rethink things hat happened and
learn about it.
- Make some effort and don't give up.

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

This is a good start Nemo. I think, however, that you misunderstood something. You aren't trying to get these extra hours done now, but over the next year or so. There is no rush, just the increased training offline, into other areas beside the courses. Also, you can only have up to 20 hours in any one category. So farmwork can count for 20. Also, after you do the farmwork, please reflect on the experience and write something that explains what you did and how it affects your Jedi path, your personal growth, whatever applies.

Overall, this is fine though. I recommend taking a look at this thread to help you with your goals. http://instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/30049-tools-to-build-good-habits

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

^This.

You only need 50 hours, by the way. 100 hours is for the next level, and 500 is for Knighthood. No problem in getting ahead, but it's better to take it in on in chunks!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Sorry, that is because of the fact that I'm not English, I feel so stupid right now.
Well, let's say activity 1 is sort of a break between my activites. And lets make from activity 2 2 books instead of 3. So my hours are then:

June 25 - July 25:
reading books : 10 hours
weight: 40 hours:
Total: 50/week

July 25 - August 1:
Farmwork: 80h/week

August 1 - August 31:
movies: 10 hours
weight: 40 hours
Total: 50/week

So now i got for one week 30 hours more, but it is physical, so it is in some way a part from my weight activity. Also I can learn much about it, I suppose.
But I think I still don't get it. It is more somethign like a basic plan, like: I'll read the next year every week one book book?
Than I still have no idea what to do with my first activity.
This is so frustrating, why am I living with myu parents...?

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Nemo's PLP

It's all ok, don't worry. There's no pressure. Focus on things you can do with your current situation. As your situation changes you can change what you do with this PLP. :-)

Ok, I'm going to do this for now, It is a good PLP for this summer, it will probably change a bit in September when I'm going to a nex school.
I'm also thinking about going to Aikido than.

How do I start with the Institute Courses?

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds