Is the universe a hologram?

• Thank you received: 19

Anidem created the topic: Is the universe a hologram?

I have heard of this theory for some time and I feel that I should share it with you all. We speak of the force and how it controls, guides events in our world. How the force is everywhere and in everything, but we wonder how it does this.
Like this theory postulates, our universe, all we know is merely a hologram, the result of higher dimensional forces transferring their information to a lower dimension. It is a fun read, and gets you thinking about the universe.

www.extremetech.com/extreme/172812-our-universe-is-a-hologram-and-were-floating-inside-of-it-suggests-new-research

Veritatis per Scientiam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Is the universe a hologram?

There have been some interesting work on this topic for the last 15-20 years. Back in 2011, Dr. Brian Greene (theoretical and string physicist / Prof. @ Columbia University), did a 4 part series for NOVA called, The Fabric of the Universe. The 4 hour series covered plenty of interesting stuff concerning the look into 'what is the universe'.

>> NOVA: The Fabric of the Universe <<

Dr. Greene also wrote a book about a year later after this series named, The Hidden Reality. It touches on what was part 4 of the above series. In his book, Greene discussed nine types of parallel universes:

The quilted multiverse only works in an infinite universe. With an infinite amount of space, every possible event will occur an infinite number of times. However, the speed of light prevents people from being aware of these other identical areas.

The inflationary multiverse is composed of various pockets where inflation fields collapse and form new universes.
The brane multiverse follows from M-theory and states that each universe is a three-dimensional brane that exists with many others. Particles are bound to their respective branes except for gravity.

The cyclic multiverse has multiple branes (each a universe) that collided, causing Big Bangs. The universes bounce back and pass through time, until they are pulled back together and collide again, destroying the old contents and creating them anew.

The landscape multiverse relies on string theory's Calabi-Yau shapes. Quantum fluctuations drop the shapes to a lower energy level, creating a pocket with a different set of laws from the surrounding space.

The quantum multiverse creates a new universe when a diversion in events occurs, as in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

The holographic multiverse is derived from the theory that the surface area of a space can simulate the volume of the region.

The simulated multiverse exists on complex computer systems that simulate entire universes.

The ultimate multiverse contains every mathematically possible universe under different laws of physics. -- the concepts of multiple universes AND holographic universes.

A LOT of potential universe theories. Perhaps one (or all?) are true?

• Thank you received: 151

Dustin replied the topic: Is the universe a hologram?

This seems relevant: Reality Simply Doesnt' Exist Until We Measure It

Since reading about the above experiment and recalling the hologram idea here I've wondered whether time itself is the representation of dimensions that are practically inaccessible to spacial dimensions. Photons don't experience time. Could there be something that travels faster than light which has an even more complex relationship with matter and time? Could their interaction, via our seemingly controlled experimentation, make photons and even atoms "bounce" to and from a time-origin burst out what we see as waves?

As a layperson who will likely never get off his butt to make his own experiments I acknowledge my imagination is merely amusement.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Is the universe a hologram?

Good point Dustin.

Yes, with the latest theories calling out possibly 11 dimensions (instead the 3 we normally work in -- 4 if you are one who counts time), then time AND particles might be 'out there' which we don't even have the tools to even detect -- since all our stuff is confined to the 3/4 dimensions we are working in. So, 7 dimensions of 'something' which might pull in all kinds of stuff like faster-than-light particles, reverse time flow, and bunches more.

Now, if someone could kludge up a box of nonesuch in their garage which suddenly made things 'move' along another dimensional direction -- cool things could happen!

• Thank you received: 19

Anidem replied the topic: Is the universe a hologram?

You are right. many times it is the scientists job to try and detect the effects of these extra dimentional forces. We are making strides in this field but it requires us to maintain the interest in the search for knowledge. I am constantly surprised when people are ignorant to science news. Go ahead and see how many of the people in your lives know that the LHC was reactivated last week. I love reading about this sort of things, theoretical science is fasinating. Remember, there is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

Veritatis per Scientiam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Dustin

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds