What is your experience with self defense?

Poll: Amount of Self-Defense Experience

None
2 11.1%
Theoretical only, no practice
No votes 0%
Seminar only (less than 6 months training)
1 5.6%
Martial arts, but no practical self defense focus
1 5.6%
Martial arts with practical self defense focus
9 50%
Self trained with practice
No votes 0%
Military beyond the initial basic training class
No votes 0%
Other (explain in comments)
5 27.8%
Total number of voters: 16 ( Nick, Baru, Dogan Nar II, Athais, Kol Drake ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: What is your experience with self defense?

So not really TKD lol That's very good to add real self defense to any martial art. There aren't enough of those instructors out there. Every style as it's weakness, but practical application shows those weaknesses so a person can understand those differences. It's more important than a lot may realize in the sport world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1923

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: What is your experience with self defense?

??? He really does teach TKD. Something like a 5th or 6th degree Black Belt. Choke holds and grappling is minor compared to his normal teaching regiment.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: What is your experience with self defense?

Sorry, I meant that the self defense isn't TKD, it's in addition to it. She used self defense, not TKD specifically to defend herself. The techniques in TKD aren't geared toward defense, but looking pretty - which they often are. :-) Sport TKD I will clarify. Jumping, spinning, and striking someone in the face with one technique isn't going to do much on the street. It will look quite cool in a movie or demo though.

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: What is your experience with self defense?

Did I have to use what I have learned at the Dojo? Yes!
Had that what I used something to do with the techniques we learned? No!

I have to admit that I have, lucky, never ever been in a situation where I had to really use what I'm learning. I would like to be able to say that this is due to my personality and my appearance, but then, I don't know. Anyway, as Zen-Ryo Senshi and Kol Drake already said it, what I had used in some situation had been basics, principles from what I have learned. Those thing became in a way second nature to me and because of that I don't have to think about them when I 'use' them.

In my opinion self-defence already starts with the correct body language, appearance. About this I had been writing somewhere else here already, so I don't want to re-give it here again.
As I do see it, every martial art someone trains for some time, has the positive side effect that it builds up self-confident and in this way a body language which would state something along the line like: "There are easier targets than me, so leave me alone."
In this way, I in my point of view, it is always a good idea to pick up some martial art training.
But if you are completely not that type, good personal training which targets for becoming self-confident will have the same effect. At least till the point when it gets into non-verbal arguing. From this point on only self-defence based on basic principles does help and no training of what ever technique, Kata or form.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Dogan Nar II
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Thank you received: 11

Dogan Nar II replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

I trained in Shotokan Karate from ages 4 to 5. Needless to say, don't really remember any of it.
I trained in Krav Maga from 17 to 18. My instructors included a former County Sheriff's Deputy and a member of Italian special operations.
Through my (Law Enforcement) Academy, I was trained in PPCT -- Pressure Point Control Tactics. Emphasis on suspect control, handcuffing, baton, etc. Learned a decent amount about the nervous system and how to use that against an opponent.

My best friends has trained in Krav Maga as well as Filipino Martial Arts so we routinely do Krav and FMA training together, informally. My current interests are based in a combination of picking up Krav, FMA, Russian Systema and a modified form of silat taught by Fred Mastro of the Mastro Defense System (all of that is over YouTube videos) as well as whatever my best friend and I come up with.

The Force will be with you, always
jljedilife.blogspot.com/

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

I'm looking forward to training in systema in the future myself. I feel it is a good complement to what I already know. And if it isn't, I'll return to aikido I think. I don't think my body can handle kung fu styles anymore. But who knows? It all depends on what is available at the time.

• Dogan Nar II
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Thank you received: 11

Dogan Nar II replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

It's certainly interesting to say the least. I don't agree with the whole system or even most of it I would say but I definitely think there are useful things to be taken from it. One of the concepts that interests me the most in Systema is their focus on building knowledge of biomechanics and how to utilize that against their opponent. As I said with PPCT, I've learned a bit from biomechanics in order to use nerve pressure points and motor neurons but the nervous system is only one part of the overall structure.

The Force will be with you, always
jljedilife.blogspot.com/

• Thank you received: 244

Baru replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

I have trained and taught various martial arts. my training is very practical and applied. I like doing sword training. unfortunately I have gotten into some real fights before. I know my stuff works. I have also fight in the cage a few times.

I feel that a Jedi should know some self defense or martial arts for physical fitness and mental discipline.

We are the Force.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Nick
  • Falling is part of the journey
  • Thank you received: 175

Nick replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

I believe I may have initially voted none, but now I am taking American Karate Budo for the last 4 months and plan to stay with it to Black Belt learning practical self defense applications (Spar class is mandatory).

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Nick
  • Falling is part of the journey
  • Thank you received: 175

Nick replied the topic: What is your experience with self defense?

Nick wrote: I believe I may have initially voted none, but now I am taking American Karate Budo for the last 4 months and plan to stay with it to Black Belt learning practical self defense applications (Spar class is mandatory).

I've been doing martial arts for 3 years. Here is an explanation of the style I am learning from my dojo's website:

"We are an American Karate Style. We practice a "mixed martial art." Technically, our style is Ails-Ha Rising Sun Budo. The influences for our main program include Tae Kwon Do, Aikijuijitsu, Ninpo, Kyoshujitsu, and Verbal Judo. Qualifying students may also pursue tools training in Japanese Sword, Six Foot Staff, and Nunchuka."

And most of that I still don't know much about. For the most part, my training through Brown III has been based on Tae Kwon Do with subtle changes and emphasis to build a solid foundation. In adult class, we get to do some of the grappling and submission holds possibly from the other influences, but I expect training for Black Belt and beyond will incorporate more of the those other influences.

At 38 years old, my overall objective is to have an outlet for my active lifestyle which fits my current body condition (I can't play sports like I used to) while also giving my family an activity we can do together, training my family in self defense, and building their confidence. There are several benefits which I personally enjoy from the training. The flexibility and mobility training is perfect for my previous back injuries. The classroom is great for my active brain, always learning new things. The philosophy is perfect for my personal philosophy, where I study and apply eastern philosophy continually. And the teamwork, coaching, and teaching lines up with my current leadership growth needs. All these benefits lead to personal satisfaction, which is key to a happy life.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds