Building a Lightsaber

• Thank you received: 0

David Pierce replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Beral Khan it is good to see that you are still here, and to talk to you again.  Some things don't change as quickly as others hmmm?

I can not make a connection or show you the truth of my statements.  The best I can do is share my perception of the Force as I understand it, at this moment. 

I have no evidence to support my statements or theories.

You left out "a violent reaction". :)

I believe our motivations and our intended purpose behind our actions are, for a lack of a better word, irrelevant.  Even the actions we preform are irrelevant, again for lack of a better word. 

I thought it was pertinent to the conversation to share a third point of view.  Sen-Kwon Nexx shared that he didn't like the idea of the mental saber as it had a violent connotation to it.  Jax pointed out that sometimes doing battle within your self is not only necessary but helpful.  I suggested that whether you do mental battle, or shine the "light of love, or understanding" within your self, there is no difference.  I feel that within the Force, all things are equal.  I feel that any one thing, idea, feeling, or intent, is not any better or more right then any other.  Therefore by selecting violent or non-violent actions or ideas we serve only to illuminate our feelings and our perceptions. 

Attachment and fear of loss can only lead to suffering
May the Force be with you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

I'd say that Rev R does not preach violence but speaks in metaphor.

It may not connect with your understanding... is that necessary?

At least don't expect the worst from what you can't understand. Don't project your own understanding on someone else's words.

As I like to say. We don't share one and the same brain, we have our own separate brains.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

The author notified me today that he has since expanded his original writing and greatly expanded on his points. He posted this at his blog. http://lampuntoyourself.blogspot.com/2011/06/manjusris-sword-path-of-lightsaber.html
Enjoy!

Manjusri's Sword: The Path of the Lightsaber
"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon from a more civilized age" ~Obi Wan Kenobi

I wrote the original version of this particular article many years ago when I visited a Jedi site and briefly participated in what was called the “Introductory Course”. The original piece has been subject to some criticism on a particular site in the past couple of years. I figure the best way to set the record straight is not to engage the critics directly but to lay down my complete thoughts on the matter.

As a heroic archetype, the Jedi borrows strongly from the romantic image of the chivalrous knight, or even the samurai, but the figure of a Jedi is most strongly linked to that of the warrior monk; a person who was as strongly in touch with their spirituality as they were ferocious on the battlefield. The ideal warrior monk is usually presented in the form of the Shaolin. Interestingly, the religious practice of the Shaolin monks was Zen Buddhism. The circle is now complete as Darth Vader said.

In discussing the warrior monk archetype in regards to personal spirituality, there is an important distinction which needs to be made. That is the distinction between a spiritual warrior and spiritual warfare. Spiritual warfare is a concept talked about in some strains of Christianity. It is defined as literal combat against the forces of supernatural evil usually utilizing prayer or some similar ritual. Folks who engage in spiritual warfare are often called prayer warriors.

A spiritual warrior, on the other hand, is a concept found in the dharmic religions and very much tied to the Bodhisattva ideal. The enemy of the spiritual warrior is self-ignorance. In addition to attempting to eliminate self-ignorance, this person also strives to eliminate greed and hatred within him-self as well as to help other beings through wisdom and ethical conduct.

Chogyam Trungpa sums up the idea nicely:“Warrior-ship here does not refer to making war on others. Aggression is the source of our problems, not the solution.”

It is this path that I associate with the construction of a lightsaber.

“Have you ever noticed? The blade is round. It has no edge. But it is a lightsaber—which means it is nothing but edge. There is no part of this blade that does not cut. Curious, yes? Symbolic, one might say." ~ Vergere

A lightsaber is not merely a weapon; it is the symbol of the Jedi. It represents the same things that a sword represents for any other romanticized warrior, their skill, their honour, their vocation, their code of conduct. The blade is a focused beam of energy that can cut through almost any material. The properties of a lightsaber make it a perfect metaphor for spiritual practice. The lightsaber is the sword of Manjusri or Fudo Myo-O. It is the power of wisdom, the ability to cut off ignorance and penetrate to the heart of reality.

"This weapon is your life!” ~ Obi Wan Kenobi

A Jedi was responsible for building his own lightsaber, from gathering materials to the actual construction and empowerment of the device. Even though I am referring to a lightsaber that is constructed entirely in the mind, the same premise holds true. We must study and contemplate all of the components of our personal paths, carefully assembling the useful parts and discarding the junk. Teachers or systems can only offer a blueprint. You are responsible for taking that blueprint and tweaking it to your needs, based on your experiences, understanding and judgment.

Once we have constructed this lightsaber- a disciplined and insightful mind and a benevolent heart- we are not done. Next we must learn to master our weapon in order to do what it is meant to do, defeat self-ignorance. Even after forging, a sword must be maintained. It must be polished and kept sharp. All the components must be checked for good condition. This is not only a lifelong process but a lifelong commitment.

The path of the spiritual warrior is not a path that embraces death, violence and destruction. It is a path that embraces life. It is a path of firm resolve. The way of the lightsaber is the way of the heart and mind. It’s not a weapon that is an extension of your being, it is your being.

For ten years I have been polishing this sword;
Its frosty edge has never been put to the test.
Now I am holding it and showing it to you, sir:
Is there anyone suffering from injustice?

The Swordsman by Jia Dao
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Miller

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds