Building a Lightsaber

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 82

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

VERY well put Reverend R.  Do you mind if I use this? 

The lightsaber is a symbol afterall, a symbol of the Jedi and a symbol for exactly what you described... and Jedi are symbols as well. 

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Sorran Charr replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

I love that quote so much truth in it.  In my searching before joining today I did come across a site where the had a link to get you a lightsaber built....Once I read Rev R's comment on the lightsaber I really thought having that on like a mantle would be a perfect symbol for me to serve as a reminder of exactly what Rev R said!  It will be a symbol to remind me that I am that lightsaber and I should illuminate with my heart and mind! Hope you don't mind my commenting it was so profound I thought I'd share my thoughts!

MTFBWY,

Sorran

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Actually, that'd be a really cool idea!  To make a display with any lightsaber and this on a nice little plaque would be nice.  :-)

• Thank you received: 5

Magdelene Nashira replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

That is an exciting idea.  A lightsaber of the mind.  I have all kinds of things trying to bud in my mind now.  Hope it comes to me soon!  :obisaber

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

Sen-Kwon Nexx replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Using a lightsaber as an analogy to the mind and our beliefs...hmmm.  I can see several points that are wrong with this.  First off there is mention to the samurai and their katana, I know it said daisho, but really their main focus was the katana itself, the wakizashi was a lot less important and a lot less used.  That is besides the point though, so moving on...

A weapon to cut through the BS...hmmm, why must we 'cut' through anything?  Why make an analogy of violence?  Is truth something to be forced open, something to be ripped into existence?  Is the illusion that our mind cling to to be swatted away, kicked, punched, scrapped and clawed at?  A weapon to fight their own demons, yet he speaks of the world as being one, being interconnected.  If all things are interconnected then by attacking our demons we still attack ourselves.  Our 'demons' or 'dark side' cannot be destroyed, simply because it is a part of us, a part of who we are just as much as the 'angelic' or 'light side' of our existence.  We would destroy ourselves completely if we destroyed them.  This is called the suffering of aversion, you hate something so much that you want to destroy it, but that hate of it causes you to become that which you seek to destroy.  Remember that what lies in wait for you in the cave is only what you take with you, if you take a weapon and violence in your heart, than what awaits you in the cave is the reflection of the violence in your own heart...a darker you.

In my opinion the world does not need a weapon for you to carry and cut through the illusion, what someone needs to arm themselves with is understanding, with understanding the cloud of illusion is lifted, instead of a blade of energy cutting through the clouds, understanding is a light that is so strong and so dispersed throughout that it cannot be focused into a blade and burns more like a sun, like a chain reaction it sends it's light to all areas at once, illuminating the fog and darkness until you can see everything.  Your mind must be less like a single shaft of light and more like a burning star, so bright that it doesn't leave room for shadows, so bright that it illuminates all that it comes into contact with, not cuts down those in it's way.  Mythology is just that, myth.  The Jedi built lightsabers for a way to defend themselves, but even in the myths there were Jedi that shunned this idea that refused to carry what they knew to be a weapon.

Peace be with you,
Sen-Kwon

• Thank you received: 44

Streen replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Well put, Sen-Kwon :)  You've said what's been on my mind as well.  Though we do not follow a Jedi "religion", it's a common trend for spiritual people to think they are fighting a war, fighting for their religious dominance.  This is probably not the case with most Jedi, as we tend to follow our own ways individually. 

I personally do not feel there is any battle to be fought, so a lightsaber, be it real or of the mind, is somewhat unnecessary.  I like your analogy of a star instead of a lightsaber.  A source of light amongst the vast darkness.  ;)

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

You make valid points, but I have a few different ideas.  First, no one is saying you need to use a lightsaber, figuratively or literally.  Rev was simply addressing a question in an old FAQ many years ago with a new perspective to help new people view things differently. 

Second, the figurative use of a lightsaber does not need to be violent.  Everyone has a different process for working through things.  I can think of many situations where a person absolutely had to get angry before they could really work through something.  Personally I had to work through a very stubborn belief through battle on the astral.  This wasn't me fighting myself it was fighting an idea others had placed in me.  Therefore doing battle was absolutely appropriate for me.  I knew that I didn't believe this belief anymore, yet there was still fear for some reason.  Not a lot, just enough to hold me back and create doubt.  I had already addressed all that I could in other means.  So it was recommended to me by another person to visualize this belief and my feelings regarding the whole situation as a creature which I then defeated (using a staff, not a lightsaber actually).  From there I was free of this issue. 

Ideally we should be able to do everything from the 'love and light' perspective but that isn't realistic.  Nor is it damaging to use a figurative lightsaber.  Sometimes it's the only way to get to something within us - especially when it originated outside of us. 

Another way I see it is that the lightsaber can be a precision instrument, cutting through layers like a laser.  This is more precise than just randomly digging around.  Plus it cauterizes the wound as you go ;-)  You see, the lightsaber does not need to be viewed as a tool of destruction or violence.

David Pierce replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Consider if you will, that if the Force is all things, then nothing can be destroyed.  There is no more importance to violence, good, evil, or anything else then we feel the need to view it with.  Violence is simply motion.  Regardless of the intent or feelings behind our actions, there is only the Force.  I hear the meaning behind the words and apply my own feelings to my own understanding.  I slay my demons.  I understand my demons.  Two different ways to say " I have a new understanding of the Force."  To say that violence is wrong or evil is akin to playing a game of chess and viewing the taking of pieces as wrong or evil.  It simply is.
 As with all things, there is only our perspective, and the Force, nothing more.  

Furthermore I have thought on this subject for some time and I have one more thought.  If we hold true that there is only the Force.  Then, like a rock good and evil are but props created by the Force.  We are but tendrils of the force feeling out over this reality.  We use these props to help us experience the experience of living.  When I notice that I am viewing something as wrong, or I become emotionally against something, I will ask my self these questions:  Do I have the power to change the Force, or do I only have the power to change my perception of the Force?  

Attachment and fear of loss can only lead to suffering
May the Force be with you.

• Thank you received: 68

Beral Khan replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

David, your whole supposition appears to be based on the idea that the Force IS all things.

This would be defined as a 'sweeping statement.' One that is likened to saying 'God is All Things.'  And when someone makes such statements one has to wonder how they come to such an ambiguous answer.

To say something is the basis of all things, or a part of all things is to offer a connectivity in all things. To say it IS all things is something upon which I have to ask for more details.

What evidence do you have to support this theory?

Also, welcome back!  :r2top

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

• Thank you received: 68

Beral Khan replied the topic: Re: Building a Lightsaber

Also,
You appear to have mistook the purpose behind an action and confused it with the action. Violence is not the act. That is why something like, 'he performed a violent act' is also said in the manner of 'he performed an act of violence' or 'he was violent.'

The point is not the action but the purpose behind the action. Violence is the motivating emotion, not the act itself. So, using your chess analogy, we may see someone violently move a chess piece into someone eye, or see the piece moved without violence across the board.  The act of moving is not the violence.

It is difficult sometimes to understand that actions are simply actions.  Is that what you are trying to say in your post?
However, it is very important to see the difference between the movement of the world and the motivations that move it.

This isn't to say that all actions, in the end, are not Force generated.  But that is a different topic.

The topic here is whether or not we, as Jedi, carry a metaphorical Light Saber. I don't think I really saw the final connection of your post with that concept. I can see how to tie it in, but it is done by an assumption on my part and I do not with to assume on your behalf.  Can you tie it all together for us?

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds