a commentary

• Demetrius Vorak
  • Demetrius Vorak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Demetrius Vorak created the topic: a commentary

Remember and honor the past, as you plan for the future.  Sure there are things along the way that we experience, things that we would rather forget, things that we will always remember as if it where yesterday. The Good and the bad, so to speak. Yet, thinking back on how things have played out, here in the community and as I remember friends that where once here, and are now gone, I am forced to pose the question, "Just how has the history been honored let alone remembered, after all these years? Years ago, a group of old friends and myself once tossed around, the terms "unity" and "community." Just how "united" are things when disagreements spawn split after split... within the "community," till all thats left is a hand full of groups, trying to impose  their beliefs and will on others.  Unified Jedi?  a flight of fantasy? maybe, maybe not.  Unified in Purpose. yes. what is your purpose?

- Demetrius Vorak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1887

Jax replied the topic: Re: a commentary

I agree.  I don't like all the splitting.  This site was not born from a split of any disagreement.  Instead, Relan was leaving the community.  We had already switched to moodle to avoid the ezboard yuku switch, but then decided to get our own domain and hosting when there were some issues with JEDI transitioning over.  It wasn't a disagreement or anything personal, just a feeling that we should be fully responsible for our site and our hosting. 

And right now, there are some very preliminary talks with people in the community to determine to what level we can all work together.  Is it possible to unite two websites fully?  I don't know.  Perhaps the problem is that people in the past did it too quickly, and on too large of a scale so that it collapsed.  I'm not sure, since I was an observer those times.  This is the first time I'm really in the position to see everything behind the scenes.

Anything you can share about attempting to unify would be appreciated.  :-)

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: a commentary

Yeah actually Relan wanted to get rid of the domain and server as well, initially, but there were problems there and we were forced to go completely seperate from the old JEDI site. Now, of course, the forum part is changed as well but that was not initially intended.

We do still try to honour the past to an extent, we still cover it in our adept 1 class.

Inari

• Demetrius Vorak

Demetrius Vorak replied the topic: Re: a commentary

Hello,

I think that it in fact IS, possible to merge two sites together. yet, while past attempts have not proved fruitful, for whatever reasons there was, but I think going into something of that magnitude, you need to cover as many bases as possible. I once believed that with the right people, a clear message, focus... it indeed is possible. As to the level of cooperation, that would be up to the parties involved. Somthing as merging all under one banner would be great.. LOL. but I think small steps first. like getting people to "revisit" and " come out" again.  Acceptance of ideas, and eachother would be a small but important first step.

- Demetrius Vorak

Relan replied the topic: Transistions

Yes, it was pretty peaceful transistion as far as what I remember when I was still here...as I'm pretty much in good terms with everyone here (I think).  It was mainly a situation where we didn't want to stall progress for the Academy and, with the Moodle thing, it was an attempt to have more of an identity.  Couldn't keep up after time, it was probably best or it would have died off if nothing happened. 

I didn't know until I recently checked the boards that the Academy split with JEDI (or Jedi Organization as it is called, I don't know the deal really), and I can understand that since one group was growing while the other stalled, so.  A lot can change in eight to ten months I guess.

As far as merging, as we talked about many times Demetrius, I believe in those concepts still.  To be honest though, I'm pretty burnt out with the Community and have other affairs right now, so I guess we'll see if the next generations of groups are capable of moving things forward.   

I'll keep watching for some sparks.  Overall, besides a few groups here and there, pretty dead in most areas it seems.  Good to see some life here and a few other places. 

Good to see you Academy, Demetrius. 

Relan

• Thank you received: 1887

Jax replied the topic: Re: a commentary

I don't think there is any hard feelings for anything that happened.  Splitting was just a natural progression.  For our own safety, we got our own domain and hosting so we were in control, not a separate person or group that had nothing to do with the academy itself.  This just made sense.  It's very difficult to grow and feel stable when someone else has the domain or host that can get screwed up.  This way, if we screw up, it's our own fault ;-)

As for mergers, those have to be done carefully.  One site can't just be absorbed into the other.  If so, then it's not a merger, it is one site joining another and losing their identity.  That doesn't go well, and is what killed the Jedi Temple for the final time.  If two groups merge, both should maintain some identity that involves using the strengths of one to balance the weakness of the other.  If this isn't the case, if one site doesn't have strengths, then there is nothing to gain from a merger.  Instead, you have more of a takeover ;-)

There are things in the works, behind the scenes.  But, they probably won't be mergers.  Each site will still exist as it is.  But each strength will be used to balance the other's weakness.  It's more of a partnership than a merger.  If you're looking for training, come here.  If you're looking for ______, go there, for example.  I don't want to say too much right now, because it's all so new in development and the proposals are still being written.

I think one of the biggest problems of mergers before was speed.  People moved too fast and didn't think of all the repurcussions.  So things exploded.  We're going to be very careful in considering any possible partnerships, because the last thing we want is for the academy or any other site to explode.  :explode

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: a commentary

It's good to see you around again, Relan and DV :)

• Demetrius Vorak

Demetrius Vorak replied the topic: Re: a commentary

Hello relan,

Nice to see you too. And I agree. with your point about letting  "the next generation" give it a go. I myself had a hard time trying to make peace with myself on alot of things, and one of them being I cannot do it all. So with that I gave it some thought..maybe ive been going about it all the wrong way. Perhaps the way to go, was something taken from the past. I borrow the phrase " we hope to inspire you into realizing your abilites.." remember that.  :)  of course you do. hehe.  In my own opinion, the constant thought process, the "hammering out", and eventual acceptance of multi jedi/force theories can only make the whole stronger. 
    As for the notion of "partnerships" and or " mergers" in this day and time. good! the thought is out there, and I am sure folks involved are " doing their homework."

-Demetrius Vorak

Jacen replied the topic: Re: a commentary

It's good to see you both here, Relan and Demetrius :)

Personally, though I was involved in the unity movement back then, I feel that all the Jedi are united.  There may be many different websites out there, and we may be spread all over the planet, but in my opinion, the simple fact that we all call ourselves Jedi, and believe in the Force, is enough.

[glow=orange,2,50]JACEN[/glow]
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Re: a commentary

*smiles at Jacen* My thoughts precisely.

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds