Emotion, Yet Peace

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 462

Katie (StormyKat) created the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

I have been having a hard time with emotions the last week or two. I was wondering, how do my fellow Jedi feel their emotions then let them pass? It is so easy (at least for me) to forget about this part when I am feeling positive emotions. I don’t think about them. I enjoy them. Then I get a negative emotion like anger or sadness and I have a much harder time letting it pass. As I tend towards depression, these emotions linger. Especially when they build up, or come in heavy waves. So, while I am mentally attempting to move past the emotion I can still feel it in my body and soul. Do you have any tips for one a youngling struggling with her emotions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1353

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

Emotions, they are for me, especially lately, also a difficult thing to deal with.
What does work for me is breathing and telling myself to let go. Using the Code as You recited it already: "Emotions, yet Peace". And last but not least making myself aware of and keeping in mind that we cannot control our emotions but that we, at least to a certain extend, can decide about how we want to go along with them and how to deal with them.
I, normally, use some time in the morning and evening to think about my emotions, what has caused them, how I dealt with them and what had been the outcome and what I can do different the next time. Should there be an overwhelming situation and should there be the chance to do it, I would do the recapitulation right after the situation.

Sorry for not being able to give any better help. I just found that these are the things which worked for me, especially when I remember to make use of them.
As a sort of summary, I would say for me "breathing, calming down/refocusing, recapitulating and acting/planning" is what works best when it gets down to emotions and how to deal with them.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Chris-Tien Jinn, Katie (StormyKat)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1773

Kol Drake replied the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

Humans are weird. We go about our days and ... if they are 'good days' -- we tend to just go about our business.

Sometimes a 'good day' becomes a 'great day' and then we kind of notice and feel good about it.

When days turn krappy? We grab onto those like life rafts and cling tight and over analyze the shit out of every moment of the krappiness.

We really need to be spending all that time and energy bear hugging the 'good days'. Giving thanks for every 'good moment' in a day instead of laser focusing on the 'aw shit' times ad nauseam.

Now, I am not saying you should become an "Everything is Awesome" singing Lego StormyKat.

You CAN change how you work with those 'less than good' moment.

Every krap moment has a silver lining.
USE that.
Search for the silver lining.
Looking for the positive in a negative situation may sound sappy, but it can actually show great strength.

To find your silver lining, ask yourself:
How have I grown from this situation?
Are my relationships stronger now?
Have I developed new skills?
What am I proud of about the way I handled this situation?

Journal the hell out of this potential to 'learn from the dark times'.

Also... journal the hell out of your good times too!
The smile on your niece's baby face... which makes StormyKat's heart go aflutter.
When all the Feline Overlords you serve show appreciation. Even when they don't (After all, they ARE Feline Overlords...)
When the sun comes out from behind the grey clouds and shots a beam of golden warmth -- like a kiss on the cheek.

Krappy times ARE going to happen.
It is how much (and long) you cling to THAT moment which determines how every second AFTER that moment.. will imprint on your soul and spirit.

I kept thinking about the above...

No. It is not 'an answer' to those who have clinical depression nor those with seasonal depression (or BOTH).
All the positive outlook in the world can NOT 'fix' the chemical upheaval depression can hammer you with.

> Depression is a real illness.
> Depression affects people in different ways.
> Depression is treatable.
> If you have depression, you are not alone.

KNOW your warning signs / triggers.
PREPARE yourself on how you 'work' with your doctors and meds when you notice 'dark clouds' forming.
UNDERSTAND that, this too shall pass. It may be a rocky time BUT, you can get through them.

The 'healthy Jedi Life' we wish we all strive for (and wish we didn't need to...) is one of the BEST medicines for general health. It has the added benefit that regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, and sleeping enough (but not too much) are good ways to take control of depression. Studies have shown that it helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Chris-Tien Jinn

• Thank you received: 1785

Jax replied the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

What I do is become as much space as possible (Jedi Studies lesson1 for a reason). It dissipates the heaviness, at least somewhat, and allows things to move. And while it isn't an immediate fix, it helps. Then it's a matter of reining in the mind. That's where most of the negativity comes from after all. Sometimes I wallow in it a bit because I'm still a person learning too. And then eventually I find the ability to yell stop in essence, and then try to distract myself. To choose differently so the energy can dissipate. Sometimes it requires other things as well. Have I eaten recently? That's often an issue. Have I had enough sleep? Do I need to just go outside for a while? So many contributing factors. I find things rarely last long at least. I still have a lot of stressors, but that's why these tools exist. To keep working through the challenges.

You will get there. It's unlikely to ever be perfect. You'll still have emotions. You'll still have bad days. You may even have bad weeks. But the impact will lesson. And now that it's winter, don't forget to find the sun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 462

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

I finally got past the emotional block by going out with friends. We laughed, and talked about nonsense and ate too much amazing food. It was wonderful to be around happy, positive energy and great people I love. Prior to that I sang along with a song that hits all the deep emotional chords and had a bit of a cry. Sometimes that is the best way for me to release the emotional block. But talking about things a little bit and having a positive distraction were the best outlets. It is really hard to regulate your own emotions when you are surrounded by stress and negative energy, as I was all last week at work. We were incredibly stressed and anxious and tired.). I had no energy to regulate my responses to my emotions, or to do anything when I got home from work. So I am looking forward to the next few days of rest.

Journaling about the good times is a huge help! I am going to make a concerted effort to get back to daily meditation and my three times a week walking. Working on that pause between thought and action, feeling and thought, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Chris-Tien Jinn

• Thank you received: 1785

Jax replied the topic: Emotion, Yet Peace

Glad to hear it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds