Why people Leave the community

• Kai-An Tatok
  • Kai-An Tatok's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok created the topic: Why people Leave the community

Hey guys, I wrote an article about the purpose of community, and why people leave the Jedi community, and I'd love your thoughts on it!

californiajedi.org/ahsokas-choice-why-people-leave-the-jedi-community/

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Connor, Jax, Chris-Tien Jinn (JT), Stormbreaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Why people Leave the community

I totally agree with this and I love this post.

The Jedi path is definitely a solitary one. And, this is the main issue with the Community. People can be Jedi without a Community. So, in order for a Community to exist, it HAS to be more effective than doing the Jedi thing on one's own.

A Community must provide energy to its Jedi.
A Community must provide possibility for its Jedi.
A Community must provide support for its Jedi.

If the Community only takes, then it will be like entropy. Eventually, the Community will dissolve and destroy those who gave to it.
We cannot allow the Jedi Community to behave like a black hole, sucking in all of our energy, weighing us down.

The energy must go out and be light!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax, Stormbreaker

• Chris-Tien Jinn (JT)
  • Educational gaming researcher
  • Thank you received: 3

Chris-Tien Jinn (JT) replied the topic: Why people Leave the community

I saw this on the Facebook page and thought I'd take a look.

I think the articles are right on point and that the workshop format you linked (Roots of the Tree ....) would be really helpful as a format for discussion.

21 years ago, I got tired of doing my own training in a solo format, and I wanted to connect with other people on similar paths in order to share ideas and discuss the intersection of Star Wars, the hero's journey archetype, philosophy, and martial arts. So, I typed "Jedi Academy" into a browser search ... and found the Jedi Academy run by Baal Legato and crew.

For a while, it was wonderful to be able to discuss, even online, some of these ideas and share resources and training ideas. There were a couple of people locally who were also Star Wars fans who "wanted to be Jedi" but wouldn't actually put in any effort to train and grow as people; so the online community was pretty much my only way of connecting with other Jedi around the world.

I left the community because a handful of people decided that they knew the only way to train as Jedi and became a self-appointed standards committee that wouldn't respectfully try to find common ground. I was ironically spending way too much time online trying to defend a training path that I didn't have time to actually follow it offline in the "real world."

So - I made the choice to go back to following my path, solo, since the community had become an impediment rather than an aid.

We are better than we know. If we can be made to see it, [then] maybe for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax, Stormbreaker

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re:Why people Leave the community

That's an incredibly important point. The community needs to be a contribution not a detraction. I recently spent a lot of time on my own training and little with the online community.I simply did not have the energy to focus on everything all at the same time. My hope is we can simplify and return to basics on what the community should provide and how to maintain it contributing community rather than allowing it to become a distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris-Tien Jinn (JT), Stormbreaker

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Why people Leave the community

We have all been in that situation, I think. If you've been in the community longer than a few years, you begin to see the egos clouding the judgment of the community.

Hopefully, we are moving in the right direction! I'd love to see seasoned, experienced Jedi come back to participate because our community has gotten better.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Chris-Tien Jinn (JT), Stormbreaker

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds