Lone Jedi or Communities?

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax created the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

There's a very popular Jedi site out there that is losing members (or kicking out members) very quickly. This is leaving many Jedi to leave the Jedi community as a whole, expecting the same issues everywhere they go. Thankfully those issues are not present here, but it's never a bad time to discuss the idea of community and what we actually need from a Jedi community. Everyone's answer could be different, but I'd like us to discuss these ideas presented by Kai-an as part of a training at a prior Jedi Gathering. This is just part 1. Please be honest. If we aren't meeting your needs but don't know it we can't discuss changes.

From her handout:
Roots of the Tree: Strengthening the Jedi Community
By Katie Mock (Kai-An Tatok)
Workshop originally written for the 2016 Illinois Jedi Federation Gathering

The Jedi Community has always been an interesting place. Our group is still in its infancy, as the Jedi Path continues to change and shape and grow. But the community itself has not always been kind or welcoming to newcomers, or even veterans. People have been made to feel like outsiders, or not given the compassion, patience, and support they need. But the community remains; why? Because it can be the roots that support our growth, the foundation upon which we build our own training and path. We are “colleagues in the force, closer than any brother and sister”. We are here to support each other.

That being said, “Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training”. We can always improve, and we do that by making the community more welcoming.

Part 1: Firstly, what makes a community? Why do we need community on the path?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1332

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

To somewhat kick this off for what makes a community is the shared interest or goal which brings people together, especially when they are not able to meet physically. In our case it is everything around the Force and dealing with how we can bring the concepts of the movies and our understanding of what it means to be a Jedi in real life and what the Force actually is and what it includes into our daily lives and into praxis. This is then also, at least for me, why I need a community. Without a community I would have no one to talk about it, to discuss it or just to know that there are others likeminded like me as it would be and is difficult for us to "just" go out and tell the world that we are Jedi.
In this way I feel very comfortable and welcomed here at the IJRS as I feel that the atmosphere and people are very open minded and welcoming. The one thing I'm missing a bit is and that had been discussed here already many times and in many ways is the lack of interaction and the feeling of that this site actually is a living and active site.
Hopefully through this and the follow-up post around this topic we learn to better understand why it is the way it is here and how we can improve it.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

Being a Jedi hermit was seen as a negative in the fiction. It usually meant something tragic had occurred, like you had been betrayed by the Jedi Order (Ahsoka) or the Jedi Order itself died (Yoda, Obi Wan).

The ideal situation was to be in the Order. The Jedi realized that there was strength in numbers.

One thing Alex Bird and I talked about on the road to and from the Gathering was the need for unity. We came to much the same conclusion that Katie did. The community's job is to train people. And, each person's responsibility is to get trained. We are in the stage where we are still focused on pretty much only building people up. We want to create the best people possible. Because the best people possible will be able to build anything.

Unity is unnecessary. 400 groups is not good either... But, 15-20? Yeah, that makes sense. We're not going to agree on everything.

When building up the community, we can have it only 2 of these 3 ways: fast, cheap, and high quality. Since I think we want it inexpensive and high quality, it's going to take a long time. If we do have Jedi with money, we need to get them in here fast. hahaha. :)

But, why do we even need the community? A community is essential to the health of any Jedi. Or, anybody. Our natural inclination when learning something new is to find people to share it with. The Buddha, upon enlightenment, formed a community of followers. Same with Jesus. Jedi are working towards noble goals. So, we found a community that will journey will us. It gives us strength. It gives us motivation and hope.

It's good stuff!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai-An Tatok, Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

I think the community can definitely create excellent training opportunities for people, but that is still the responsibility of the individual to seek out their own training. I think Yoshio said it really well "Without a community I would have no one to talk about it, to discuss it or just to know that there are others likeminded like me". Knowing there are others I agree with and who understand this amazing but admittedly unusual thing I am trying to accomplish gives my training both a safe place to occur, and a huge boost of motivation. The sensation that we are not alone.

I also would love there to be more activity on the forums, all forums, not just here. But I haven't exactly been pulling my weight there either. :P

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax, Stormbreaker

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

It is the responsibility of the individual. I'd recommend that those individuals then funnel that training back into the community. If that's done enough, then we will have a self-sustaining system at some point.

Additionally, we may never need to be completely self-contained. Syncretism is a hallmark of the Jedi path. It's like... a mutt. hahah. We love it because it wasn't bred from a purity that can cause genetic pain and problems, born of egoism and greed. We love it because it is a mix of whatever works.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax, Stormbreaker

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

Here's another set of questions that might help us think of this deeper or differently.

What makes our community (or a community) unique? What are the differences
between the online and offline communities? Why do we like and participate in the
Jedi Community, or why did we join it? How has the community assisted your path?

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

I intend to make a video about how I came to the Jedi path this week. I'd love to see others do the same. I think it is helpful, especially as American Jedi releases this November. We can show people there are many more people on the Jedi path, and you don't have to have major issues in your life to be a Jedi. While that makes for a good narrative for a movie it isn't great for recruitment.

But to answer some here, for me the Jedi community brings about so many different people with many different perspectives and knowledge that I often get useful suggestions in it. I wasn't able to find that elsewhere. This is a melting pot of paths which is really great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormbreaker

• Thank you received: 1332

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Lone Jedi or Communities?

I’m fully with You, Jax, on what You wrote. Part of what makes our community unique is, besides that we call ourselves Jedi (Realists), that many different people with a lot of different backgrounds and knowledge come together to share what they learned and experienced in their individual lives and paths.
The biggest difference between online and offline is, obviously, the option of meeting face to face in the physical world and directly talk and act, work with each other. This sort of interaction is what I’m missing when participating online and I feel quite jealous about that you over in the USA have this option but also very happy for that you do have it.
The why I joined and like this Jedi Community is already answered in my first post. It is simple because here I can find and meet likeminded people and share ideas and experiences without having to fear that I come across “strange” and that is also how the community has assisted me in walking this path. Not only by providing me with training material and feedback to all my posts and writing but also by accepting me the way I am.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds