Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Recruiting Jedi

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 3 weeks ago #55474

• Dogan Nar II
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Thank you received: 9
Another discussion topic that I thought of a few days ago during a conversation with a non-Jedi friend is on the topic of recruitment. Obviously, not a lot of people know about Jedi Realism so I feel that the topic of recruitment is important--it also goes hand in hand with becoming a more legitimate, recognized entity.

There are a few schools of thought on this topic. One is to not recruit at all--if someone is meant for the Jedi Path, they will find it. I agree with this to a point. Motivated, driven people will seek out the training they desire and will use it. However, I think there are tons of motivated, driven people out there who would be great for the Path but the concept of "Jedi Realism" may very well never ever cross their minds.

That's why I fall more into the other school of thought on acquiring new members which is active recruitment. Now, I'm not saying that the Jedi should band together and run a recruitment fair where we put out marketing and look for people or even make posts on social media "I'm a Jedi and we're looking for people". What I'm talking about is recruitment on the individual level.

I've been very much into intelligence studies (think espionage, not intellect) for most of my life. There's a concept I used to teach to Jedi that I learned from my studies on CIA asset recruitment methods. It's been a while since I've studied the concepts but basically it boils down to what I'll call the "SADR" model.
Spot. This is the identification of potential recruits. In our world, this would refer to people who study martial arts, people who study philosophy, people who study energy work, etc etc. Maybe even people who seem to have a deep interest in Star Wars in terms of their actual life (if this at all makes sense)
Assess. So what you're doing here is starting dialogue with those people. You're finding where their heads are at in their own lives. You're getting a feel for whether they would mesh with the Jedi Path.
Devlop. Ok cool, so they would fit. What you're doing in the Development phase is starting to go from focusing on the other person's interests and where they're at and you're bringing them into a dialogue on the Jedi Path. You may not use the term Jedi to begin with (I know I don't tend to) but you're presenting your own ideas (Jedi ideas, although maybe not by name) and gauging their interest level.
Recruit. So at this point, you're going to bring them into the Jedi Path (or at least make what we do known and let them decide). Maybe you don't use "Jedi Realism" until the Recruitment phase or you've told them about Jedi Realism during the Development phase. Either way, by the time you're in the R phase, they know what Jedi Realism is and they know that you're a Real Jedi. Now the choice is theirs as to whether or not they participate. You give them links, you give them people to look up, etc.

This post ended up being more in depth than I originally planned, hopefully that wasn't too dry. So if you want to discuss, question, challenge, etc the concepts discussed above, please feel free to do so. My intention in starting this post was to ask y'all if you do any recruiting amongst people you know and how you go about it.

So, to close, let's talk about getting new Jedi!
The Force will be with you, always
jljedilife.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Dogan Nar II.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 3 weeks ago #55484

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1696
Not too dry at all. Personally I haven't focused on it because I don't have the time to. I have to stabilize my personal life before I can grow the Jedi life so to speak. But it's in mind. By next year I want to have a seminar at denver comic con. It's hard to get in, but that would be excellent recruitment.

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 3 weeks ago #55486

• Dogan Nar II
  • Jedi Guardian
That's a very understandable holdback though, and waiting off on building the community until you're in the best possible place to do so is certainly a good thing. That would be awesome! Very exciting possibility. Let me know for sure if you wish any assistance with that, I'm pretty handy when it comes to logistics.

The Force works in mysterious ways. I Googled my Jedi name last night and came across an old blog that I had started (Which I will be reviving and sharing here). There was an intro and only three content posts but the above SADR model was one of the posts. From over six years ago. It's interesting to see that with everything that changes on an almost daily basis, some things remain the same over many years. Good to see that I'm keeping up with the knowledge I had then
jljedilife.blogspot.com/

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 3 weeks ago #55487

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1696
Very cool. And don't hesitate to invite people to the community or here! I was only speaking for me. :-)

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 3 weeks ago #55488

• Dogan Nar II
  • Jedi Guardian
I actually have two people right now. One is a friend who used to be a Realist as well, though I don't think he ever made it online. He's planning a return. The other is a friend whom I just recently started telling about Jedi Realism and he'll hopefully get involved sooner or later.
jljedilife.blogspot.com/

Recruiting Jedi 1 month 2 weeks ago #55503

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1268
How to "answer" this?
As I found the Path of a Jedi Realist in the way You, Dogan, described it under your first school I like You had been long on this sort of point of view or in other words: "When the student is ready, the master will appear."
Since then my attitude, my point of view has changed slightly and is now more in line with what You presented under the second school. Although I wouldn't go out to actively recruit people for the Jedi Realist, I do have an open eye much in the way You described it in your SADR process for people who would, in my eyes, fit to the Jedi Path. The problem is that so far I couldn't really find anyone who would really get to the last point at which I would actively tell them about the Path of Jedi Realist and where they can find it.
Non the less, what I try to do is to lead by example and be open for questions and discussions on the topic of how one could live one's life and which philosophies one could follow.
On the other hand I have to admit that, although I would be happy to point everyone the direction and would answer their questions, I do not see myself as someone who have to, literally, take them by their hand and "pull" them along their path. For me, it is everyone's own responsibility to choose and follow the way, the path one sees or takes as one's. I see myself in the role of a guide, a helping hand, who is there to answer questions, shares experiences and lead by example meaning first of all I walk this Path myself and do my best to make it understandable to everyone who is interested in listening to me of why I do so.

Sorry for the bit of rambling at the end, I hope you can make some sense out of it.
Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Dogan Nar II
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds