• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
More
5 months 1 week ago #55085 by Jax
Jax created the topic: Increasing your actions per day
I really enjoyed this article and found the idea helpful.

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-increase-your-actions-per-day-apd/

Excerpt (There's a lot more at the link)

Success Based on Actions Per Day

The gamers use actions per minute (APM), but we’ll be using actions per day (APD).

STOP stressing so much about any single decision.

Instead, look at your total actions over a month. How? By measuring progress in actions per day for at least one week – ideally, for a full month.

For instance, if you’re going to tackle a new exercise goal, here are some actions you can count…

Did you weigh yourself? That’s one action.
Did you hit the gym for a workout today? One action.
Did you click the order button on a new pull-up bar? One action.
Did you swap out fries in favor of veggies at dinner tonight? One action.
By consciously focusing on taking as many single actions as you can each day, you’ll make so much more progress than you ever could with the haphazard “when-I-feel-like-I-have-time” method.

Some actions you will take are going to be habitual. It might be difficult to start running or eating veggies, but eventually it’s going to be a breeze. These are the best ways to accrue actions because while they may difficult at first, they get easier and easier until they don’t even feel like work. Eventually, you are living a healthier life on auto-pilot.

One-time actions are basically anything else that helps you pursue your fitness or health goal, like signing up for a gym membership or learning to cook a meal. (FYI: Research and reading are great, but for this challenge, they don’t count as an action. Nice try!)

Hopefully, you’ll start counting habitual and one-time actions like these:

Did you go for an afternoon walk?
Did you cut out one soda from your normal consumption today?
Did you make yourself a healthy lunch?
Did you try a new veggie?
Did you finally try deadlifting or that new exercise you’ve been researching?
Did you do yoga today? Or do those mobility stretches?
Over the course of a week, those points really add up, and all it takes is a point here and there to make some serious progress on the path toward a healthy, fit life.

Now, just like in Starcraft, not ALL actions you take are going to be perfect, correct, or even move you in the right direction. But the more times you take action, the more you’ll learn how things change as a result, and the more likely you’ll be in the future to learn and take more informed action. BUT ACTION IS THE KEY!

Remember, we need to get you out of your head and out in the real world DOING stuff.

I want you to start by promising to do just one action per day toward your health and fitness goal. It can be anything – but you have to start somewhere. If you’ve accumulated even just a few total actions by the end of the first week, then you’ve already taken those precious first steps on your journey.

Helpful hint: After coming up with your APD strategy, schedule those actions. If you them on your calendar, you’re more likely to follow through and get your actions counted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #55137 by Baru
Baru replied the topic: Increasing your actions per day
Wonderful suggest.

We are the Force.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
More
5 months 1 week ago #55145 by Jax
Jax replied the topic: Increasing your actions per day
It's been helping me. I will always have a long list of things I didn't do. But what matters is making as many good choices as I can. From one more healthy breakfast to reading a book I put off, it all adds up.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #55152 by Baru
Baru replied the topic: Increasing your actions per day
I can get paralyzed by my list of ToDo's and then I do nothing.

Remembering to take baby steps and make things achievable helps me alot.

We are the Force.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Baru.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
More
5 months 1 week ago #55154 by Jax
Exactly. For instance, for me I managed to refocus a bit and make a batch of egg fritatas/muffins. I am pushing myself to eat breakfast. This gets easier when I start waking up earlier, but it's all good. :-) I'm packing food so I don't eat fast food while driving at night. So there's a few ideas for people.

• Nick
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
More
5 months 6 days ago #55171 by Nick
Nick replied the topic: Increasing your actions per day
On my daily to-do list, I mark three as my MUST DO FIRST.

To go along with my daily to-do list, I track my actions daily with goals to meet for each week and month. This keep me from procrastinating or at least shows me what I am neglecting. Attached is a snapshot of my tracker. It didn't start out like this. Maybe 5 task categories when I started, but each month I reflect and revise.

Attachment NFChallengeTracker2017-0119Screenshot.JPG not found

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
Attachments:

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
More
5 months 2 days ago #55182 by Jax
Nice! I've been using habitica, but not consistently for a while. I'm having a hard time nailing down my must haves and my goals.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds