Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1905

Jax created the topic: 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

This year's US gathering is in the history books so to speak, as Jedi suck at remembering to write those books. lol This was my first in the midwest. Those are harder for me to attend but I needed to get my Knighthood review out of the way so made the effort this year. That meant a lot of traveling with an 18 month old, which is a trial of its own. I'm actually still on the road, visiting Indiana for another day before we start driving back to Colorado.

First off, I want to congratulate StormyKat on facing her fears and attending this gathering! It was so great to see you there, facing your anxiety, and making friends. I know my wife enjoyed chatting for a bit and Melody, while not physical, was sending you lots of energy. :-) I only wish I could have spent more time to really talk. Toddlers really do rule the world. lol I fully expect to see you in your own Knighting ceremony in a few years!

We're still awaiting pictures, but they are being edited. We did end up forgetting to do the official IJRS picture, but the Knighting picture will include all of us in some way which is awesome!

Regarding Knighting, David and I underwent a review board to be officially recognized as Jedi Knights in the Jedi Federation. That doesn't mean we weren't acting as Knights before, simply that we hadn't gone through a review board process in the past. This will be true for many years yet as more and more Jedi are able to make a gathering to be reviewed. Ultimately, it's great to have community accountability for ranks. Anyone can claim a rank, and many can fake their knowledge and dedication online. It's a lot harder to fake it offline, among many Jedi, and through a review board process.

Overall, I'm glad to have met a few other Jedi I only knew by name, if at all. I'm left with increased motivation to get organized so I can meet all my responsibilities both here and with the offline groups of Colorado Jedi and Jedi Federation. And I look forward to what we can create in the next year!

Please share your experiences with the gathering as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

Thanks for starting this thread Jackie!

Like Jackie mentioned, the both of us were Knighted, which I think was the highlight of this Gathering for us. It was also great to see StormyKat and meet her in person...even though I totally blew her off the first night I met her haha (still sorry about that). It was also nice to see Connor, as we continue our Friendly rivalry; I feel every year we meet in person, it just strengthens our bond and inspires us to push each other even further. It was also great to see Katie there, and now she will be here which is equally awesome. Jackie...I live with you so..........it was great to see Melody! lol ;-)

I feel like I want to bring up the workshops. They were all great. Jackie and I did separate workshops on energy work, both with different themes. My workshop addressed the Dark Side and what it was and how to face it, while Jackie's addressed Jedi Embodiment, and learning how to use your body as a contribution rather than a hinderance.

I will attach Gabe's (Angelus) Keynote speech here as well as his workshop on Mentor and Apprentice. At least we'll have a more solid history book this time around :)

Angelus' Keynote Speech

It won't let me attach this workshop, so if that is something that might interest you, please PM me and I will get it to you.....somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Atticus

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

I would like to add we had many ijrs members and faculty in attendance. I got to meet Athais for the first time which was cool. I also met Raphael ben raven and we discussed getting his martial arts program going at ijrs. I enjoyed spending time with Kai-an, Zen-ryo Senshi, and Angelus again. And met a few other Jedi I knew from other places. There were also those I met for the first time. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Re:2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

I attended this year's gathering. It was a special cherished moment for me, as one of my mentors Jax was knighted. Also, even though I've only known David well for a little while, we have become so close and it meant a lot for him to achieve his goal too.

I was up for Knighthood, but I decided to back down since it wasn't the right time for me. Next year, though. For sure. :) I may have to apply for scholarship to get there... haha. We'll see. I'm eating lightly for a while...

Anyway! The gathering itself was lovely! The workshops were great, especially the Embodiment and Dark Side workshops. I really enjoyed Diamond Firefist's 'herbology' course! I have already begun thinking of teas and tinctures to make.

Catching up with people is one of the most powerful parts of the gathering because we can get inside each other's heads on a level that we cannot online. Just talking with Rugadd face to face for five minutes told me more about him than a year's worth of talking online. Of course, that may mean I just talk inefficiently online... oy.

I also enjoyed the various ceremonies! I inducted members into Indy Jedi, which was beautiful. Doing rituals in person creates a powerful bond. On that note, I enjoyed attending Alex Bird's Fortification of Swords workshop!! That was awesome! We sat in a circle, chanted the code together, and imbued each other's swords with our courage and wisdom. :)

The extra-curricular activities were also not to be missed. We toured the local castle, which was pretty cool. We swam and built fires! Plenty of soda was drunken. Plenty of people fell asleep in the workshops. Plenty of people realized they would need 24 hours of sleep when they got home.

I acted as concierge, checking people in and giving them their information packets. For my service, I received the MVJ (most valuable Jedi) award, which was nice to get.

Anyway, it was a fun weekend! I will do everything I can to be there next year again!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

:blush: Aww.... :blush: Thanks guys. It was so great to be there! I had so much fun, and it was great to get to know people face to face. I know my doctor is going to be so proud of me when I tell her how I sat with my anxiety on Thursday night and totally just destroyed it. Thank you all for being so welcoming! David, don't worry...as I said on Conor's post, I heard the two of you jabbing at each other, went "Oh! that must be David and Connor" and said hi in the most awkward way possible. :ohmy:

Besides facing my fears and anxiety, I came away from the gathering with so much....but not apparently my yearbook (which is going to make it tricky to match Jedi names with regular names/faces). Ah well. I loved the energy workshops that Jax and David did, I loved the martial arts that Raphael ben raven did. Herbology was interesting (I'm calling it Herbology 'cause I'm in the middle of Harry Potter and Herbology sounds fun). I made friends. I learned some more about what sort of commitments I am able to make to the Jedi at this time, and what I want to make at this time. I also felt so engaged and am ready to attack my studies. Totally renewed my bond to the IJRS and Jedi Realism. It might just have been having time off from work, or all the time I spent in nature, or just having my bars done....whatever it was, I came home and felt so refresh and renewed! (Which was awesome because Monday sucked something awful).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Atticus

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

:-) There's always a let down at some point after a gathering where the real world crashes in. Just ride the wave.

Yes, I too keep calling it herbology. It's way more fun!! I wish I could have caught the whole lesson. At least each year Melody gets older and a little less dependent on me (in theory).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: 2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

Katie, you may be able to get a copy of the Yearbook if you want it. I would PM Crystal as she may have an extra copy or be able to get you one!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Some pictures for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1951

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:2016 Jedi Gathering reflections thread

Quite the motley crew.... it looks like a cool place and fun was had by all.

I had to snicker... the wee one wielding the lightsaber was wearing a 'Star Fleet Cadet' tee shirt.
Good to see the next next generation is covering all the bases.
:P

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Yep, totally did that on purpose. lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds