Names

• Thank you received: 1448

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Names

I had many different names but still go, more or less, by the version of just one. Most of the names I carried or got had been nicknames of my real name, which is, for many, too long and therefore they search or think of a shorter alternative.
In the Jedi Community I first went by Yoshi Aki where Yoshi is, of sorts, a nick for my real name Johannes and Aki is the Japanese word for autumn which is the season I had been born in. That is the reason why I have chosen this name in the first place.
Later I skipped the Aki and went with Yoshio which is quite similar to Yoshi but was given to me by a Japanese who knew that I have a fable for history and old things. Although I didn't get any Kanji (Chinese signs for the name) and therefore don't know what meaning this name carries, is still like it due to the fact of being a old name.

In school I went mainly by three names beside my real name.
The first one had been Hansi which is a very usual abbreviation for my real name Johannes and normally used on the country side. Honestly speaking, I never liked this one.
The second one had been actually the same I chosen myself but in a German way of spelling. Joschi which sounds spoken the same as Yoshi.
Finally there had been Dami which is a short form or better said nickname derived from my former family name.

As for my real name Johannes. In Christianity there are actually two Johannes. Johannes (John) the Baptist and Johannes (John) the Evangelist. I had been named after the first one although I have to say that I did like the image of Johannes the Evangelist how he was portrayed in our church better but that only because he had an eagle sitting on his shoulder. ;)

With all that said, I do like my given name Johannes but I also do like Yoshio or Yoshi due to my interest in Japan.
On a more general base I actually don't care much about names. For me they have the simple and only task to help to address different people directly. But, maybe due to being a more visual type, normally I'm much better in remembering faces and actions than names and that is actually what is more important to me, how someone behaves and acts and if this one stays to the given word or not.
There is a German proverb which says something like: "Names are like sound and smoke." What really remains are our actions and that is what I bring together with a face I remember. The names those faces carry just make it easy for me to approach them but don't hold any meaning or value like for others who would say something like: "Ah, your name suites you well. You really behave like a XYZ." For me this never made any sense.

As a, more or less, completely different topic, I had always been, in ways, fascinated by the topic of "real" or "magical" names. Maybe due to being, somewhat, the RPG/fantasy geek but when reading the quote from Jax, this topic again popped up in my mind.
As I do see it, we all carry a, what I would call, worldly name, a given name. This name might suite some better than others and others even might change them in their lives to a name they feel better suites them. But on a other, a higher level, we all have a real name but this real name might also only be part of the truth as finally we are all one and connected and therefore can go by any name.

My personal bottom line of all that is, that names are good for addressing someone but they do not have any meaning for me. What really counts for me is the individual behaviour and the actions one takes.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 249

Memnoich replied the topic: Names

David (Phoenix) wrote: not as inspiration (like it is for Menoich),

For me, it's only an inspiration because I make it so. Much like Atticus, as Jedi Memnoich is an image, a character if you will, of what I hold a Jedi to be. So it is an inspiration, a goal, a dream, of where I want to head, who I want to be. I may never go by Memnoich other than online, but its the person I imagine that keeps me working towards bettering myself.

We all have names throughout our lives, some we don't even think about, Son, Grandson, brother, sister, friend, buddy, neighbor, student, teacher, athlete, soldier, leader, father, mother, grand father/mother, old man, young woman, etc... These are not all chosen for us, most are chosen by us. They are forms of address, yes, but they are names non the less, to those they have meaning for, the can be powerful, awe inspiring, or detrimental. As with many things, throughout life we wear many hats, show many faces, and few really see our true self, or hear our true name. There are many stories throughout history and mysticism of about names, the divot in your upper lip, was where the Angel Gabriel, before our birth told us to "shush", and forgot all we knew, including our true names. To know a things true name is to have power over the thing. "We will be called by our true names, up unto heaven". To know thyself, thy true self, is to be powerful. Some talk about our names being a sound, that resonates with our whole being, and compels us to become something more, "In the beginning was the Word", the universe resonates with a sound, each planet, plant, rock, object, has a harmonic that causes it to resonate, our true name is that sound that makes us who we are. I think this is were the language of the birds, the universal language of the "angels" comes from, it is a language of sounds and understanding, not mere words, but resonant sounds.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Names

Honestly my handle is just that a handle. It doesn't have any special meaning for me. I just grabbed the first name of one character and the last name of another and put them together.

I use it at none Jedi sites also.

Offline I generally end up going by Chris (Short for Christopher my real first name) or Leiby (The real last name) depending on how many other Chris's happen to be present.

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Names

Brandel, thank you for sharing. I think it was different back when the internet and forums first started. People just picked things, without much thought most of the time. Maybe that still happens, but the internet isn't a novelty anymore, and we have a better understanding of how far reaching even a name can be. In other words, we're old. ;-)

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Names

True enough, I know I'm old enough that I can't even recall why I called it dirt in the first place most of the time :ponder

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 17

Kit replied the topic: Names

Names have...power. Influence. In the stories of Earthsea, knowing something or someone's true name will give you complete control over them (unless they are very very powerful). I've heard that in several other sources, from fiction to paranormal I guess you could call it haha.

As a writer, a name will shape the being you're creating. The sound and spelling will affect how your readers view your character on first 'meet'.

For myself, a name is a visual and auditory representation of who and what I am. Such as what a symbol would for a company or a Jedi Temple. When you share it, it will also tend to influence the person you are sharing that with as much as a handshake will.

I was born with one name. For a long time it didn't make one difference to me, it just was. I earned the nickname Neko (cat in Japanese) in College. When I joined the military I was called by my last name and both my first and nickname dropped off for most. I married, and got a new name (and nickname) and fewer and fewer people called me by my birthname. 11 years now down the road and my birth name is awkward on my lips. My memories have been changed unconsciously to fill it in with my shortened married name. My birthname just doesn't fit anymore.

When I joined the Jedi Community I chose to use the name Neko. But as I was filling out the website, I realized that that wasn't me anymore. So I chose Kamizu (Japanese for Fire/Water) who was a character grown to an alter-ego and coping mechanism because I wanted to join the two of 'us'. Somewhere along the line, I was talking to a friend of mine about names and I decided then that Kit really fit me. I chose it because Fox is my power animal. So it was in respect for him, and as a reminder that as a young fox kit, I should always learn and grow. It's also a nod to the Japanese fox spirits (Kitsune) but I felt that was a little to poetic for the simple down-to-earth me :) I had been using it for a long time even online although my screen name showed different. Then there got to a point where I realized that I would never become Kamizu. Because he was one person, and I was another (although equally good) person so I asked for my name changed there. I also use Kit in person when I'm not at work. It feels much more natural to me rather than my birth name.

My name, even Kit, isn't the 'real me', rather it is a REPRESENTATION of me :) I have chosen to represent myself with those three letters and those few sounds.

"I have come to the borders of sleep, The unfathomable deep Forest where all must lose Their way, however straight, Or winding, soon or late; They cannot choose." -excerpt from Lights Out by Edward Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 530

Connor replied the topic: Names

Jax wrote: And no one can stop you. But it makes it incredibly difficult to know who you are then. Offline it's different, there is a visual. Online all we have is text. So changing names creates confusion, especially when talking to other people. Which name to use? Instead of changing names, I recommend simply allowing yourself to be you, without requiring a name change to do it. That might mean facing some judgment from people, but they'll be judging you anyway. ;-) That's my perspective at least. Everyone is different.

It doesn't bother me, really. My goal isn't for people to know who I am, exactly, but rather for them to read what I put on the page. If I didn't have to keep one name in my real life, I would change it whenever then too. Unfortunately, I don't wear a name tag everyday... And, that's wayyy too much effort.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re:Names

As long you are aware of what it creates :-) sounds like it works for you in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 150

Dustin replied the topic: Names

I suppose it depends on what I'm doing. In anonymity, gaming handles for instance, I usually pick something reminiscent of fictions I enjoy; FroodyZarquon or TheFrude from HHGttG, Riva from Belgariad, HumanGumbo (that one's all me). I guess the paraphernalia around me follows suit. My wallpapers, decorations in my cube, etc are nostalgic extensions of fictions I like. Symbolic trinkets... I identify with these things so these things make my mark and identify me even when I'm just an anonymous player or a cog in a cube.

On medias of self-representation I tend not to stray far from my birth name. I was Nitsud on this forum for a majority of the account's existence and I've had nitsudstems as my Gmail account since Gmail was invite only. Nitsud is just Dustin backwards, Stems is my mother's maiden name backwards and the name reversal is inspired by her dad who's had his name in the phonebook backwards. For most of my life I thought Dustin just meant valiant fighter, I don't have issues with people spelling it wrong, or having three people in my class with the same name so I never really took issue with the name. I only liked it more after learning that it originates from Torsten (Thor's Stone) which, too me, serves to underscores my non-Christian outlook, my interest in pantheons and philosophies, and having a vague association with the Marvel isn't too shabby either. Meanwhile its still a tether reminding me of my entire past. Then my last name means belonging to a majority of family of a different worldview. I've never felt the name was out of sorts and I have yet to come across a name which suits me better. I yam what I yam and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds