Names

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1890

Jax created the topic: Names

Names are a part of the Jedi community, perhaps more because it is mostly online and we can choose any name. I've always used my name, or some slight variation of it, however. Today I read this message and wonder what you all think of it.

What’s in a name? Why, it carries a vibration all its own, as does every word, thought, and deed. Do you feel that your name “fits” you? Did it fit you from the beginning or did you grow into it? At times a name takes on meaning that you or others ascribe to it. Why do certain names come in and go out of vogue? For, like all else, life is about change. The funny thing is that you as a human go through much change. Yes, even your soul grows along with the human choices you make, yet your name in human form does not change. We caution you, therefore, to not identify yourself so closely with your name. It is not the real you. All of you, in fact, carry the same name. You use your human name to differentiate yourselves in this lifetime, but for all eternity each of you is none other than I AM.

Does this change your perspective on names? Has your perspective on names changed over your time walking the Jedi path?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 253

Memnoich replied the topic: Names

As someone with multiple names, I can see how it can make one conform. I am not a "Richard" I never have been, in high school I was "Pete", that person is till somewhat around, but no longer me, I am "Preston" and occasionally "Memnoich", but these too, are two different personalities. Memnoich is who I'd like to be, Compassionate, giving, connected with the Earth and the Force. Living in harmony with the Land, not off of it, spending the day communing with the earth and with others, teaching the skills of connectedness that have been lost, and living for the sake of living. Preston is who I am, a 8-5'er(9-5'ers no longer exist), working to pay the bills, to buy stuff I don't need, and just eek out a living. I spend more time at work than I'd like to, and less time with my kids than I need to. I get dirty less often than I would like, and spend to much time just trying to make ends meet.
I am being Preston, while becoming Memnoich. I am using Preston, much as many people use me, to get to the end I want, to build up the home I want, and the Life I envision. I hope to be there soon, but at what cost I won't know until I am there.
Sometimes I am "Pete", but never for long enough, that ship has sailed, but there is enough of "Pete" within "Memnoich", that I feel I will be whole again soon.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Names

Love it. This is a great example! Sometimes parents do a crap job of naming their kid. It is part of a projection of who they want the person to be instead of who tbey are and will be. Melody named herself, but we still tried to choose names that provided flexibility in nicknames. Myself I am ok with my name. Maybe one day I will have another name. No clue. As long as the goal is to be a better version of yourself it's cool. Though, name changes make it hard to keep track of people, so all you Jedi out there, keep that in mind. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Names

Yeah, I have the name Voidhaunter and did call myself Nemo for some time. Both are examples of me not wanting to be myself. A typical sign of my depression at that time. Nemo was an alias under wich I could be more confidential, strong and above all it was the skinny guy without handicap who looked like he knew what he was doing. Voidhaunter was more like a nickname to hide under, based on the fantasy stories I liked to hide in... Know I found that my actual name is fine enough and I even like it!

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Names

I like to change my online presence nickname frequently. I usually just go with whatever I'm feeling at the moment.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Names

And no one can stop you. But it makes it incredibly difficult to know who you are then. Offline it's different, there is a visual. Online all we have is text. So changing names creates confusion, especially when talking to other people. Which name to use? Instead of changing names, I recommend simply allowing yourself to be you, without requiring a name change to do it. That might mean facing some judgment from people, but they'll be judging you anyway. ;-) That's my perspective at least. Everyone is different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Names

Sorry Tsebbe, skipped your reply. That's a great example of how names can be a sign of an area to explore more deeply. However, they also provided a benefit for you. If you had to use your real name from day one, would you have started training? Having an alternate name can provide the safety a person needs until they are comfortable enough being more open about who they are. In that way it's a valuable tool, not a bad thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Names

I like my name David, for both its Hebrew origins and I think its just a really cool name. Plus, I was born on St. David's day and I really liked that saint growing up. So, for me, I think I kinda nudged my parents towards that name.

However, I believe my Jedi name is also important, not as inspiration (like it is for Menoich), but rather as a symbol. I tend to learn in trial by fire, and I also tend to go through cycles, multiple times of different aspects of my life, whether its friends, family, relationships, or Jedi training. The Phoenix is a symbol of death and rebirth, and I am particularly fond of that image as I continue to grow and develop myself. In addition, the Phoenix is able to recall past memories, or rather, it learns from its mistakes, even in past lives. I'd like to think that as I make mistakes in this life and on my journey, that I learn from them and keep those lessons, even as I keep changing.

I think I picked Phoenix about a year into my training, and have had it ever since (so well over a decade now). As I've trained in other...aspects....I've used different names, more to conceal identity than anything else. But for Jedi purposes, I have always stuck with Phoenix. Just this year, I decided to pick another name to add to Phoenix: Yue Phoenix. Yue is short-hand Chinese for Moon. I'll be honest, that was more just for fun, but I didn't want to change the name of Phoenix altogether. Most people online call me either David or Phoenix, and I'm fine with either.

Actually, just for fun, there was one year in College when teachers asked if we went by nicknames and I said mine was Phoenix. I felt pretty badass hahaha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich, Silver Surfer

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Re:Names

I had been using my Jedi name for a few years before I started training. When I first began looking at the Path, though, it seemed right for what I wanted to become. Kind of like Memnoich said, it was equal parts inspiration and aspiration.

But as time goes on, I find myself growing into the name more than I imagined I would at first. It feels like it's actually sort of shaped my Path. Maybe that's just my personality and predisposition coming out, I don't know. But my conception of who Atticus, Jedi Knight, should be has certainly grown.

If I had been required to sign up under my legal name, I'm not sure I would have done it. I kept my Jedi life pretty much under wraps IRL for the first few years. I remember I was even struggling with how public to be when I finished my Novice exam. In those earliest days, I think I might well have been too conscious of public disclosure to post anything in the open areas with my legal name attached.

Course, now I could care less about public disclosure. I put the symbol of the Order on my car, on my hoodie, in my office window on the main drag. :D

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich, Jax

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Names

So many different perspectives. Awesome! Thanks for sharing everyone, keep them coming!

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds