Overdoing it?

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1828

Jax created the topic: Overdoing it?

Some of you try to fit as much as you can into the time you have here, for you think time is limited. Be aware of the law of balance. When you overdo it, the law is unbending. There must be compensation in the form of fatigue or physical damage if you have overdone things physically. The same holds true for falling off balance emotionally and mentally. This is not retribution or punishment, but a simple law of life in your human world. Overdo it and pay the price. It is the law. We love you and do not wish to see you suffer. When you play by the rules you see with greater clarity why you feel as you do in response to certain thoughts and actions.

Perhaps balance isn't just an idea we preach but a universal law? Does that change your choices? It might not make a difference at all, but I offer it anyway. Balance is something we are all striving for and struggling with I suspect. This just gives me a little extra incentive. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1415

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Overdoing it?

Aye, I do like the idea of balance or maybe even “action equals reaction” but there had been one interesting thing I learned during my Feng Shui courses. If we ever should be able to reach perfect balance, this would mean that all movement, all progress has stopped and no further action, no further development is possible. Therefore a little off balance is actually not a bad thing at all as it keeps us moving, keeps us progressing.
How do others feel about that?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Overdoing it?

Yep, very interesting indeed. Makes me wonder about certain blockages... these blockages are sometimes just a way that the "universal law of balance" appears in your life.
I've struggled a lot of times with this kind of situation in my life. Things like trying to go to the gym, eating healthier, getting sober en stopping smoking all in one time. Which most of the time just makes the situation more terrible than before.

As Johannes says, and I'm totally agree, a little off balance is a good thing, to evolve, grow bigger... In fact we see the same kind of situations all around is in nature. Just don't overdo it becomes that literally blows everything up.

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Overdoing it?

In chemistry we were taught that things were balanced when the scales were moving just a bit equally in each direction, which matches what you are saying Yoshio. Different concept, but another illustration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 108

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Overdoing it?

A little delayed, but I just had some thoughts on that.
The way I see it, perfect balance isn't possible to achieve as described here, because everything internally and externally is always in motion, I agree with that. However, balance is just as much to make sure the tipping goes both ways and at a steady rythm. I see it as a pendulum, on which will continiously be swinging back and forth, but with mindfulness and effort we can ensure that it doesn't swing so brutally or out of tune. And also separating the viewer from the pendulum, as we're the observer, not the energy in motion. Thus finding perfect balance can simply be that we ensure the pendulum swings in a healthy manner & that we're balanced and at peace observing the constant changes and movement internally & eksternally. If that makes sense?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Tsjêbbe, Katie (StormyKat)

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Overdoing it?

Yes, it does. Thank you. Well stated.

• Thank you received: 488

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Overdoing it?

So glad I found this. I have been thinking a lot about balance today. Like Tsjêbbe, I have frequently found myself struggling with a balance and trying to bring certain changes about in my life all at the same time. I slowly realized that there is a limit to how many things I can try to change in my life at once. There really are only so many new habits you can make and old habits you can break at one time. Science says so. When I read that I realized the failure wasn't my fault, it just is how things were.

I love Anirac's visual of the pendulum. We need to swing a little back and forth each way. We don't want to be stagnant and avoid any further growth. We need to find a balance between growth and rest through. A balance between pushing ourselves....well like a swing. When you are on a swing your body tenses and pushes one direction, relaxes and falls back the other direction. It takes work to get going. Once you are going though, you don't need to work as hard, and part of the time you even relax.
Finding that balance can be tricky for little kids first learning to swing, just like it is tricky for us when we are trying new areas of life, trying to make changes or fighting against changes.
I have been very guilty of trying to cram too much into my life at once. It is an ongoing theme. Then I break down with exhaustion because I am doing too much, pushing too hard. Once I have recovered from the breakdown I get bored and do it all over again. It is interesting to think that this is just a "law" that I can't do everything and stay balanced. If I push too much, I am going to wind up paying for it with exhaustion or physically hurting. Something I will have to think about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax, Tsjêbbe

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds