Habitica: Your life as an RPG

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 526

Connor created the topic: Habitica: Your life as an RPG

For me, it was impossible to work with the NerdFitness stuff, even though I rather liked it. I also used an app called Rare Candy for a while. But, about two weeks ago, my friend invited me to play Habitica.

This is the real deal, and I've loved every day of it!

So, the idea is pretty simple. Here's a screen shot of my playing board.

You have a health bar. When you fail at your dailies or your habits, you lose health.
You have an experience bar. When you do your tasks, your dailies, and habits, you get more experience.
You have a mana bar (at level 10) where you can cast spells.

You have habits. These are things that recur. Things you want to do a lot in the day. Brush teeth. Eat healthy. Eat more fruit. Be on time to class.
You have dailies. These are once a day things you want to do every day. I have one that's like... "Go to class!"
You have to dos. This is just an ongoing to do list. I find it's better to have a short one on Habitica so it doesn't become overwhelming. But, I keep a long term one off site.

You can get rewards for doing the things above. Gold! Silver! (not really... btw, it's all internet points. :P)
You can get new outfits for your character.

That's a basic start. Any questions? I would start a guild for us Jedi, but not if there isn't any interest. It costs 5 dollars, and that's like a whole day of food for me. lol.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1353

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Habitica: Your life as an RPG

First of all it is once again funny how everything comes together! Maybe just another sign from the Force, at least for me, that I need to be more aware of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it or not doing it.

This said, I gave a couple of tools, speaking of Smartphone apps, a try the last couple of times but quickly found them to be more time consuming and distracting than actually helpful. This might now only be the case in my situation but I quickly got fed-up with all the need of first need to write and define my tasks again in every single tool although I have them already either in my head or on other ToDo-lists. Furthermore non of them actually could serve me with what I wanted which is a sort of ToDo-list with the ability of time tracking and the ability of defining recurring tasks at a specific time of day. So actually a sort of scheduler in combination with a ToDo-list.

Coming back to your post and Habitica. I read about it already yesterday in a post from Jax but as I already had been using a couple of other tools, I didn't gave it more than just a quick read. Today now I read the description in more detail and You, Connor, do see me a bit irritated as of that what You wrote here and what is written in the app description doesn't really match in the point of that the app in the app-store seems to be completely free of charge but in beta test which makes me assuming that You are either speaking of the Apple/iPhone app or something else is odd here!? Furthermore in the user comments a online page is also named. Do You know anything of that?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Habitica: Your life as an RPG

Hi Yoshio,

Sorry to hear that some of the apps haven't been helpful to you. It can be hard to find precisely what you need. I think for me, it's ease of use. I will not use one of these apps if it isn't super easy. And, this is super easy.

"Today now I read the description in more detail and You, Connor, do see me a bit irritated as of that what You wrote here and what is written in the app description doesn't really match in the point of that the app in the app-store seems to be completely free of charge but in beta test which makes me assuming that You are either speaking of the Apple/iPhone app or something else is odd here!? Furthermore in the user comments a online page is also named. Do You know anything of that?"

First, regardless of what the app's purpose is, we can use it however we want. So, no issue there.
I am talking about the website habitica.com.
I do use the Apple iPhone application, but I mostly use my browser for the game. So, on my computer and not my phone. Though, I do use the app to tick off tasks during the day.

• Thank you received: 1785

Jax replied the topic: Re:Habitica: Your life as an RPG

It can take a little to figure out how to configure the app but after just a couple of days use I have to say it's helping me remember to floss! Lol I will attach some of my tasks for examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai Sabu

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1773

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Habitica: Your life as an RPG

With all the time spent with head bent down staring at apps to tell you what you did; what you should be doing; what you are planning to do plus the continual tweets, texts, and emails -- one must remember to turn off the devices and hold your head high and experience the world around and not just the tiny electronic device in your hand.

:r2d2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Also true. That's something I've been working on. It's a challenge but it's easier when the object of my attention is Melody.

Woohoo level 5! And I have a pet wolf. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 1353

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re:Habitica: Your life as an RPG

You see, Kol Drake, that is exactly why I finally again deleted all those apps from my smart phone again. I spent a couple of days and quite some time during those days to try to figure out how and what to put in where as all those apps usually come without a manual - not that I'm a huge fan of reading them anyway but sometimes they can be helpful though. This finally felt all much too complicate and time consuming that I felt more comfortable with keep doing as I already do which is keeping a simple ToDo list on Google Notes. Here as well I can tick things of and I can set a reminder - unfortunately only one time a day but still better than nothing - and it has the huge advantage for me that I just can put everything on the list in any form I like.

So, the bottom line for me is that I can see and understand that those tools can and are helpful for some but they just don't work for me and that is all fine. In my opinion one should make use of what works best for one. ;)

Connor, thanks for replying to my other post and expanding on it. As written above, I will not make use of this app as I don't feel it does give me any advantage over what I'm already doing. :meditate

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

I have to say, this is the one app that has got me flossing daily. I know it's a small thing, but this really does incentivize because there are penalties for not doing things. I'm finding this very beneficial, but it took a few days to figure it out.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Re:Habitica: Your life as an RPG

Yup. The learning curve is there, but once everything is in the system, it's very smooth.

I am level 21!! Got there today. When you get to level 10, Jackie, let me know what class you choose. I'm curious!

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds