• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1822

Jax created the topic: Creativity vs Innovation

On this day of your life,
Jackie, I believe God wants you to know...

...that creativity is thinking up new things.
Innovation is doing new things.

Theodore Levitt said that, and he was right.
Therefore, be not only a creator, but an innovator.
Put your new ideas into motion. Place them not just
on paper, but on the ground.

Ah, yes, now you have done something.

Love, Your Friend ...
Neale.

Creativity is important. Innovating is perhaps more important though. If we don't take the steps to actualize our ideas so they can actually exist, what have we created? That doesn't mean if we don't innovate or actualize right away that we have failed. Far from it. Many times we get ideas but they are to be actualized at some future time or place. What I do is write down all my ideas, expand on them as much as I can at the time, and then if it isn't complete I file it away for future use. Many courses at IJRS have been created this way.

I'd like to challenge everyone to keep a notebook or a file online where you keep ideas. Maybe it's just a quick idea for a course or topic you'd like to write on. Maybe it's some far distant dream of what you'd like at a Jedi temple. Maybe it's related to your job or hobbies. Just write down your ideas, without knowing how to actualize or innovate yet. Then, review your list from time to time, asking which you can add more to at that time. Maybe none, but you might find something pops to mind that you can add to a creation. Little by little you can do quite a lot if you just acknowledge what you have in the now.

Let me know if this has helped you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1407

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Creativity vs Innovation

Again a very interesting "letter" You got there and many thanks for sharing it with us!

Somewhat "unfortunately" my not always very serious mind came around with something I heard lately and what fits to me in some ways perfectly.
"I love progress but I don't like change." Unfortunately I cannot recall where I came across that.

However, this statement of which I do feel it describes me in some ways together with what You, Jax, got from Neale helps me to understand myself better and to start changing and start to love change as change has the potential to actually be progression and not necessarily means that things will be, in the best way, just different or, in the worst way, bad.

One way I do make use of the idea from Neale or better said your explanation is to write down my ideas, my goals for this year for the following year, the next five years and at the end of every year I will check them and see what I could achieve and how far I got with the others.
So yes, being creative is a wonderful thing, but becoming an inventor is even better!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Creativity vs Innovation

Oooh discussions on change should certainly take place. Most people resist change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, I did so in the past and even these days I often have the problem to accept changes. When looking back into my life, I feel that this comes from that most of the "changes" I experienced in my early years most often haven't been positive. But that, obviously, does mean that all changes have to be negative which gets me to another quote of one of my former team leaders. He said: "Nothing is as bad as it doesn't include also something positive."
A perfect example for that is my current working situation. To say that I don't like my current job is by far a understatement/litotes and getting internally transferred without even being asked about my opinion about this move, didn't help at all to make this change any better. But what had been good an all that change is, that it finally got my going and do something about it to be able to change my life in the way I want it to see come true.
So, yes, talking about changes, listen to other people's opinion about it but finally, if it feels like the real deal, go for it and become the inventor of your own future and make the things, the changes come true YOU want to see happen. In this way I do feel that we all have the potential to be the architects, the engineers, the blacksmiths of our own destiny, our own future and our own life.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Creativity vs Innovation

Good points. Another element is that people view the changes as happening to them instead of from them. When you live in a veiled world, like 99.999% of us do, you don't see that you are still the architect of your own life. Every change happens with your knowledge and choice - just at a level we are rarely aware of. That's why I like the MBO tools and understanding things like the law of attraction. I'm not a victim. And even if I have a few moments of feeling that way, I know it's not true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

I fully agree with You on that, Jax!
Since I'm walking the Path of a Jedi Realist, all the things I have learned on following this path and which led me to more and other studies (on- and off-line), helped me to come to this understanding and realisation and even more important than the pure theory, it made it happen for me to really experience it. In this way, as I said above, realising that we have the ability, the power of being the architects of our own life and take this power back into our own hands is part of what it means to me to be and walk the Path of a Jedi Realist.

NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds