Real-Life Superheroes

• Thank you received: 46

Streen created the topic: Real-Life Superheroes

I've been debating with myself as to whether or not I should post this, as well as where I should post it. I decided on the IJRS because my experience has shown me that this site is the most open-minded. You don't mock, you consider. That, to me, is worth more than gold.

5 years ago, I saw the movie Kick Ass, about a highschool kid who decides he wants to do what has never been done before: become a real-life superhero. Of course, he consequently gets his ass kicked, but not without inspiring others to follow in his footsteps. Even at the age of 29, I was foolishly imbued with the concept of hitting the streets and doing some good. I admit, it was stupid. Or rather, my approach was stupid.

So, like most people, I Googled "real life super hero", and up came a site full of people wanting to do the exact same thing! I watched videos of these characters actually approaching drug dealers and other trouble makers on the streets and asking them to leave or they would call the police. Not the smartest thing to do at night, but to me it was admirable.

Over the past 5 years, I've come and gone from their site, but more recently found a new niche to crawl into. I've made it clear to them that I'm no hero, much less "super". So I provide support, philosophically and conceptually. There will come a day that I want to walk the streets with these people. I have that drive, that ever-burning desire to BE A HERO, even if that only means handing out food to the homeless (which is far more common in the RLSH community than beating up criminals—which by the way is not smart and could easily get your killed... something the RLSHs in general know too well).

Like all superheroes, I needed a name. It came to me while I was reading the Tao Te Ching: "The sage does little, but leaves nothing undone." So I go by the name Sage there.

There are many who believe this is all a bunch of kids trying to fulfill their fantasies. Many of them could be correct. But the more mature and experienced people at RLSH know what really matters: simply helping people in need. You don't even have to be dressed up to do that, but the costume aspect is... well... fun. I don't have a costume myself, but some day I imagine I will.

Why am I posting this here? Well, because I think that a lot of you, like me, want to help people. My role happens to be helping the helpers, but that's only my current situation. Many of you, however, may not know how to go about doing that. Maybe RLSH has the answers you seek. Maybe not. Maybe this is all silliness.

Or maybe it's exactly what the world needs.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Real-Life Superheroes

We actually had a member who was a member there. He hasn't been around for a while but it's not a completely unknown concept. I think it's interesting. In many ways no different than what we are doing. Taking the inspiration of super heroes and doing good in the world. It's admirable that you are doing what you can to assist them. Perhaps send them this way for more training. They don't have to be a Jedi to do that, they can substitute super hero for Jedi and get a lot out of it still. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1813

Kol Drake replied the topic: Real-Life Superheroes

This post after reading earlier to day about someone in Germany (I believe) who was dressed up similar to Batman (the latest movies) and was credited with stopping at least 3 cases of mugging. He was able to take on two 'singles' and one trio -- because he seemed to have some very good martial arts skills; subdued/ran off the thugs and kept the person being attacked unharmed.

Sadly, in the past, there was some news about a 'super' who went from just stepping in to stop violence to sort of escalating small incidents into actions that were contrary to 'stopping problems' to being more of 'the problem' due to their work.

I've read many supers who spend a goodly part of their 'patrols' handing out food, water or blankets (when available) to those on the streets. And having a good video camera to take faces/car licenses so they can report what they've seen/done when necessary. No weapons; no big fist beat downs. Just walking the streets; greeting the people; kind of a costumed neighborhood watch. Once the oddness wears off and folks 'know' they are there as a friend, it is very much a 'good thing'.

• Thank you received: 46

Streen replied the topic: Real-Life Superheroes

Couldn't agree more with both of you :)

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• I'm a superhero; vigilante/anti-hero type.
  • Thank you received: 0

204 replied the topic: Real-Life Superheroes

Hey, Sage. Long time no see. How've you been? Stumbled on this site; think you might've tried referring me to it a while back.

Faith is a belief based on the absence of data; it invites disaster.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds