learning how to accept inequity

• Thank you received: 231

Baru created the topic: learning how to accept inequity

Inequity excites, how do we learn to accept it? How do jedi work with it in a creative way so that we can raise above the oppression that can come with it?

I have discovered that the concept of inequity is a reality in the material, physical and formed world. Unlike the formless, limitless and eternal state of the Force, the state of mater has rules, laws, regulations, limitation and distinctions. If we learn to accept this aspect of our material reality, I feel that we can live happier, harmonious lives. If we can accept the limits of our reality, we can accept ourselves and others. Through this acceptance, we can live in the light of our differences verses the shadow of them.

I have to accept the fact that my body can only move in very limited and specific ways. As a martial artists, this is an important fact. If I reject this truth, I will hurt myself and my training partner. I have to accept the fact that other people are stronger than me because if I resist this fact I will break myself. I have to accept that other people are better at writing, computers, economics and many other things so I can learn to work with them. I have my gifts and you have yours. Together, we make a wonderful collection of unique beings that are interdependent upon each other to function in this material world.

I find the concept of inequity become a “bad thing” when people use it as justification to hate other people. I could easily hate someone that is bigger, stronger and faster than me. I could spend a lot of my time finding ways to destroy, deter, or harm such people. I could use my gifts to subjugate, subvert and oppress others because I feel threatened by their differences. Because I feel out of control, I could yearn to control those things that I fear. I could easily become filled with jealously, hatred and anxiety around the concept of inequity to the point that my life becomes suffering. And then I want to impost that suffering upon others. For me, this is the source of the Darkside.

For me, inequity becomes “unfair” and “unjust” when we mpose their fears and limitations upon others. However, if we can learn to accept the fact that life is filled with differences, we can learn how to work with them to live a successfully collaborative life.

Its easy to focus on the darkside of any topic but we can not “fix it” at the same level of consciousness that the issue was created. The only way we can heal this aspect of our humanity is to learn how to accept our unique differences and celebrate them.

So lets change the game by celebrating our inequities verses focusing on the limitations of them.

We are the Force.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor, Jax, Katie (StormyKat)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1809

Kol Drake replied the topic: learning how to accept inequity

Not knocking your post -- it's interesting stuff and good to note.

Maybe it's just me but "learning how to accept inequity" just seems off to me.
Seems like if we can change our thinking from "... inequity should be embraced..." to "inequity is the norm of the universe and we should not even be thinking in terms of inequalities but in infinite diversity" then maybe we will make progress.

Maybe I need more time to chew on this one to get the proper 'wrongness' addressed. :ponder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus

Baru replied the topic: learning how to accept inequity

this is the paradox. we are all one and unique at the same time.

we have our differences in physical form, but we are all the same stuff in mater, material and energy.

I find it interesting how people use these differences to oppress others.

I do feel this could be one path to an "enlightened" society. If we can learn to accept each other as we are - then we can accept ourselves - then we can accept life!

We are the Force.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 488

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: learning how to accept inequity

You bring up some interesting points Baru. I do agree with your point about we are all the same stuff in matter, material, energy. We are different yet the same.

Your point about learning to accept our differences is truly one of the more important tasks people of this world have to try to undertake. Oppressing others because they are physically different--in gender, coloring (skin, hair, eyes etc)--speak a different language, have an illness that cripples their body and/or mind, have a different sexual orientation or religion etc is what has historically lead to so much suffering and pain and lead many people down the path of the dark side.

Personally I have to learn to embrace differences in a slightly different way. I have always been bad about comparing myself to those around me and finding myself lacking. For example I find everyone has so many more gifts or is better at using their gifts than I am. Accepting that I am not going to be good at everything--that no one can be great or even good at everything--is an important part of me becoming a whole person and giving of my gifts the best I can.

However, I have a problem with the word "inequality". To me "inequality" has an inherently negative connotation. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines inequality as

an unfair situation in which some people have more rights or better opportunities than other people

it also defines it as:

Full Definition of INEQUALITY
: the quality of being unequal or uneven: as
a : lack of evenness
b : social disparity
c : disparity of distribution or opportunity
d : the condition of being variable : changeableness
: an instance of being unequal

To me "inequality" is Person A getting paid more for the same job than Person B. It is the majority of the world's resources being controlled by the minority of the population. It is a girl not being given a chance at an education because she is a girl in many countries and it is the fact that the education that girl would get, as well as the education her brother would get, is not the same as the education that girl and her brother would get if they were living in say, Denmark vs. Afghanistan. Or, to bring it closer to home. Inequality is the fact that two children can grow up in this glorious city I live in, Chicago, but one-who lives on the north side, will get a fabulous education and have all the opportunities available to him or her, where as another child, who lives on the South West Side, may not be able to read when she or he enters fourth grade because she or he has parents who can't read, doesn't have the support at home to get help with homework and has to worry about gang activity while walking to and from school, as such may miss many days of school. This child will then not even be able to hold a basic job as an adult because she or he will be illiterate.

Differences are John and I go to the same school, but John is good at Math and I am good at writing. We both get good education where we can still have a basic, working understanding of the topics we are not good at as well as the topics we excel at. We both end up with decent jobs that help us pay the bills once we enter the working world. Or John and I work the same job and get paid the same amount, we can both marry whomever we want and both have the same opportunities available to us.

I feel like I may have gone on a rant here, I apologize if I did so. I honestly don't know how to make my argument any shorter. My main point being that I don't know "inequlity" is the right word. I get that you are saying that not everyone is exactly the same. If I am correct you are using 'inequality' to say that we aren't all given the same gifts or even any talents in the same way. Some people are good at science, some of them become nuclear engeiners, some become heart doctors and some teach. We all have different gifts and different levels of those gifts and we should not use that to make others feel lesser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax, Anirac Morgan

Baru replied the topic: learning how to accept inequity

all is well. I welcome and appreciate your exploration.

Yes, I am trying to heal the negative slant associated with inequity. I find that people see different as "bad". I accept this because difference can be "bad" in a survial situation. What is different from me just might eat me or hurt me because there is no common connection between us.

However, I believe that humans can rise above our natural - biological responses to see the blessings and gifts in our differences.

its a fact that people make more money than me. the 1% has more money than me. Do I hate all people that have more money than me or do I let it go so I can focus on myself? My boss makes more money than me, and he as more responsibility than me - does that irk me? I feel that we need to get over the fact that inequity exists. its a fact. I have yet to find a completely "fair" situation. Depending on a person's perspective, much of the world could be seen as "unjust" and unequal. I rather accept that theses things exist and embrace it so that I can rise above it.

We are the Force.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 488

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: learning how to accept inequity

I agree that we can rise above our natural responses to see the blessings and gifts in our differences. And I feel we need to if there is going to be any hope for humanity.

I do feel we are a long way from the negativity associated with inequality. You are right that there are seldom situations were everything is even close to "fair". Personally though, I don't feel we can or should "get past" inequality. I think we need to be aware of it and do our best accept it and work to balance the scales a little more at least in when it comes to the basics of survival.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, Baru

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds