Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 530

Connor created the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rawnerve

By Aaron Swartz.

I am enjoying this blog. Minimalist. Simple. Short. Powerful. No fuss. Lots of extra reading if you want it.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

Thanks. Looked at it briefly and can't wait to get reading. Not that I need or want "extra" reading.... My reading list is already longer than anything I can hope to accomplish in this life! ;)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

To be honest, we should have a discussion about that. I know people tend to have really long reading lists, but I always keep my list extremely tight and narrow.

If I have something that I won't get to in a couple of months, I let it go. I'd love to get it down to like... in a week.

I am practicing letting go of things right now. And, long book lists is one of the best things. Because, when you let it go, you find out if you REALLY care about it. It will come back to you if you do care. You'll wake up one night going: "CRAP! What was that blog Connor was talking about..." *searches IJRS, finds it, and reads*

Otherwise, what's the point of doing anything (extracurricular) that doesn't completely engross you and pull you in?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

I approach my list as something that I want to remember, which may mean it's a book to recommend to others, not necessarily read myself. Also, don't make your list heavy. If it's just interesting stuff that you can refer back to, all without feeling pressure about it, then it's cool. If instead you look at your list and only see what you aren't doing, then it's not helpful. It's all in how you approach it. :-)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

We all have different goals with our lists. I really love the idea of never holding on to anything. Just floating by. So, lists are not things I like.

Speaking of which, I need to purge my internet bookmarks...

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Raw Nerve: A series of piece on getting better at life

Well, since part of my job is making sure people get the resources they need, my lists serve that purpose. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Indeed

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds