Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Skywalker Code - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

Skywalker Code

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor created the topic: Skywalker Code

Question for the Jedi. In the Skywalker Code, there is the line: "Jedi are Guardians of Peace".
What does this mean to each of you?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Now I'm wondering what more there is to this besides the obvious...

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Somebody on Jedi Church said something so interesting:

"Inner peace first."

Because, I know this. haha. But, I NEVER think of it in this context, right? I always think defense of the peace of the world. But, Guardians of Peace in the Galaxy has to start internally.

But, think about it.

Does the line imply that a Jedi must be a brave protector? Does it mean that Jedi are the law?

They may be obvious. But, because they are so individual, it should be asked:
What kind of defender are you?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Skywalker Code

In that sense, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama could be seen as a Guardian of Peace.

Note, it does not say, Guardian of THE Peace... which would imply more of a peacekeeper/policing type mode.

I suspect 'inner peace' is closer to the truth since, once the person has inner peace, they can better guide others in finding the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Connor (Laxus) wrote: Does the line imply that a Jedi must be a brave protector? Does it mean that Jedi are the law?

They may be obvious. But, because they are so individual, it should be asked:
What kind of defender are you?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately as I've been working on conflict resolution stuff, but I don't want to relate it back to my own situation. It's too easy for me to say "I'm a public defender" and miss the rest of the dialogue.

I sometimes joke that everything I know about the Path you can get from Yoda's lines in Episode V, and there's a kernel of truth in that for me. But lately I've been taking more inspiration from New Hope-era Ben. What are the first few things we see Ben do -- and by extension, the first things we see a Jedi do?
  • He saves Luke from Sandpeople through a bluff and some ventriloquism.
  • He gives Luke some answers about where he comes from to calm Luke's inner turmoil.
  • He comes up with a creative solution in the negotiation with Han for passage off-world.
  • He does his best to prevent a lethal bar fight, until there is no remaining chance to avoid violence.
Your mileage may vary, but that is how I see a Jedi's role as a "guardian of peace." Conflict resolution, the imparting of wisdom when needed, and defense of others when absolutely necessary.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Atticus wrote: Conflict resolution, the imparting of wisdom when needed, and defense of others when absolutely necessary.

This. :) I am always a little personally baffled when people talk about defending the peace with war or violence. I totally understand that violence or 'agressive negotiations' can sometimes be the most correct or last option, especially where surrender isn't acceptable, but the moment you engage in violence, peace is broken and you are just mitigating the consequences.

I think we as 'guardians of peace', especially as real life jedi without lightsabers or governmental approval do better at guarding the peace when, like you said Atticus, we use our words and minds and emotions to aid communication and stand up for our communities and what we believe is right.

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Connor, Atticus, Jax

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:Skywalker Code

I'm a big fan of the Skywalker code, as many of you know. I always thought of this as guarding the peace of others, whether that's facilitating talks, mediating or even being body guards lol. I mean, if you really explore how the Jedi evolved from guardians to soldiers, you see this value erode. In fact, it's why I think Luke made this the first line of the code. He was the last of the old Jedi, and the first of the new. He had to create an order that wouldn't be blinded like the old order. He also created the Jedi Order as a branch of the government. By establishing the Jedi as guardians of peace, it gave the Jedi a path to follow when called on by the government so that others had a clearer idea of what their role would be. Although, you see this challenged as well when Thrawn comes to power or the Yuzzhan(sp?) invasion.

I like the idea of promoting inner peace as well. Something I'll have to meditate on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Kinda going with the idea of 'knowing peace firsthand' as what you guys were talking about above, I like to compoare the two Codes side by side- this first line with the first line of the 'traditional Jedi Code', "...emotion yet peace..."

For me, they signify by their very placements as the first lines to 'check ourselves'- while we'd love to see peace abound, we have to first be that peace ourselves. As for emotions, they offer us that first step to start down a Jedi's path. All I can really know is how I feel- how I react. That's the first step- don't react. All beings (unless you're a Vulcan) have this tendency- to react to stimuli.

It reminds me of the "free will" argument and my reasoning for being a soft-determinist; "While I cannot change the fact that situations are presented to me, I can change my responses to them."

So coming back full circle, a "Guardian of Peace", I see Jedi as those committed first and foremost to a "higher" path, one not based on blind reaction but open and enlightened response.

For me, that is first step in feeling the Force.

:meditate :meditate :meditate

Th
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Thank you received: 109

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Guardian of peace.

To me personally, that means I should be a source for peace, not disharmony. Meaning, first I need to ensure that I am at peace. The inner state will affect what's going on externally, and as a Jedi it's up to me to set a good example and project what I want to see in the world. First, I need to be at peace. Then I need to ensure that what I project will make it more peaceful for those around me aka project peace and good will. I must also be a diplomat in my dealings with others, to make sure that whatever conflict or issues arrise, I do not make it worse, but instead strive to calm things down.

So to me that's how it goes -> inner peace first -> project good and peaceful energy -> influence those around to calm waters, rather than stir them -> be a guardian of peace.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 48

Streen replied the topic: Skywalker Code

Kol Drake wrote: Note, it does not say, Guardian of THE Peace... which would imply more of a peacekeeper/policing type mode.

I suspect 'inner peace' is closer to the truth since, once the person has inner peace, they can better guide others in finding the same.

Couldn't have said it better myself :meditate

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds