What is a Jedi?

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 493

Katie (StormyKat) created the topic: What is a Jedi?

Hello fellow Jedi Realists,

I have been reading posts on different Jedi Facebook pages, as well as here, and it got me thinking. What is a Jedi? There are way more different Jedi Realist groups than I realized, yet we all have a common goal-to be Jedi and make the world a better place. I have also fallen from my training...life gets in the way of training sometimes. :huh: I am trying to come back with a fresh stat and a fresh appreciation for being a Jedi Realist.

So... How do you define Jedi? How do you live a Jedi life style? If you were to explain to someone who never heard of Jedi Realists before, how would you explain it to them?

Also curious...how many of you have full out Jedi costumes? Clearly being a Jedi is not about CosPlaying. Those who CosPlay Jedi are not necessarily a Jedi Realist. But do any Jedi Realists CosPlay and Jedi from movies and books?

Thanks and MTFBWY :meditate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: What is a Jedi?

I started thinking of a response. Then I started looking at all the posts/threads which asked this (or a similar) question. We have a LOT of threads trying to explain "Why Jedi" or "What is a Jedi" or "What good is it to be a Jedi"...

If you were to explain to someone who never heard of Jedi Realists before, how would you explain it to them?

heh... First I would check to see how much time they had because my typical soapbox lectures run long. :P

Guess I'd hope I'd remember what I added to a post of an article... >> What Good Is It to Become a Jedi? <<

The author may not have it all written down like we would wish it would be -- say it like we hope it would be -- but, the message is pretty clear. Being a Jedi and 'trusting the Force' is all about becoming the Best YOU you can be. And that Best tends to ripple outward into everything you say or do.

And that's the rub -- you take in the lessons of the IJRS and they will become a part of 'who you are'. Sure, you may never use the title, "Jedi", but you will be meditating for all those health benefits and calming stuff; being more aware of your Self and others so that you are interacting with the world and not just a television or computer screen. You may actually 'use the Force' in one of the many odd ways to help make your day better (or at the worst of times, more tolerable) and see that for all the days it might be raining s**t, you still end up with a ray of sunshine once the storm has passed. (if nothing else, look at all that potential fertilizer you now can use!!!)

Now... if you are all 'wanna-be-a-Jedi' because in your head you are going to be a somersaulting semi superhero... depends on if you can somersault to begin with... or agile enough to learn how and keep practicing. The 'hero' part? Become a doctor or a cop or a soldier or a nurse or an EMT or a teacher or rescue puppies and kittens or become a Big Brother or a Big Sister or... geez, there are tons of ways and means of becoming a 'hero' without a robe or the title. But, bet you dollars to donuts, with Jedi training, you make 'heroic' differences in many lives without the flash or robes or an ex queen or senatorial princess on your arm. Substance over flash...

I suppose one could argue that you could follow ANY belief system to do the same thing. But, I think most who come to the Jedi 'Way' have already tried others and found them wanting -- either too restrictive for some really odd reasons, never speaks to the person in their heart and mind, perhaps one of those "MUST behave one way (Our Way) or you are damned to firey forever after, etc."

Asking someone to meditate for calm and better health; learning how to gain focus of mind (and maybe spirit); and then learning how they can gain skills to aid others -- seems fairly practical and even semi logical. Of course, it is work. Sometimes hard work.

And someone COULD argue that anybody could do that and never touch a Jedi robe or contemplate the Force in it's various aspects. heck, there are plenty who never contemplate their own beliefs in those 'other systems' and they bumble along just fine (in their opinion). But... we also tell folks, being a Jedi might mean learning to be 'more' but you should also enjoy the 'more' life you are going to embrace. Imagine a religion telling folks that they can enjoy life by improving their own and others instead of dictating to them that they are damned if they wear a skirt too short or jewelry or don't bow on a rug 5 times a day in a specific direction?

I read some religious site with replies from 2013. Most were highly upset that many former Christians were moving over to identifying with "Jedi Knight" instead. Many yelled, "Pagans!" One equated it to Wiccans. Some armchair (non)scholars tried tossing out various lines of scripture which basically said, "You are all damned if you don't follow/believe in Me". (( I found those particularly disingenuous since most of the material referenced was from the apostles stuff written 30 to 70 years "after the fact"... and more closely promote their own views of 'how things should be run' rather than the actual words from Jesus. Plus the proverbial 're-writing history' during the consolidation of the various branches of christianity to make the 'King Approved' Christianity / Bible from the 325 AD Counsel of Nicea... I could blabber on and on but... you get the drift. ))

So... Why Jedi? What does it mean to be a Jedi? Why not be a Zen Buddhist Christian Templar Knight Samurai Ninja Diplomat Paramedic?

(1) Jedi is a nice short title.
(2) As a Jedi, the expectation is you will be a Good Person by wishing to follow that Path.
(3) The lightsaber!!!
(4) The classy outfits!!!
(5) Enjoying life while running with punk farm kids, scruffy nerf herders, wayward princesses, and lovable rogues.

It's up to you to decide what kind of Jedi YOU want to be. How much effort you are willing to put into becoming That person. Wishing to embrace the Force as a part of your life... no matter where it may take you along the 'stream of Living'.

Sorry. Was going to keep it short and maybe point to other posts but... darn that soapbox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

mmmm... still didn't really answer the question... let me ponder

and in the meantime -- Happy Monday -- May the 4th Be With You !!!

• Katie (StormyKat)

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: What is a Jedi?

Thanks. I will take a look at the other post. I figured there was at least one other post asking this, I just couldn't find it. :silly:

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

I can get pretty OCD/anal about hunting down post / threads -- I already have six flagged before I posted the above. I can give you an entire list if you wish. Although, maybe the 'hunt' is half the fun? Let me know.

• Katie (StormyKat)

I would love the links. I've never been about the hunt. Besides, I would hate to see all that time you spent go to waste.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Under General Discussion – (21 pages deep!) – listing is from oldest to newest

Jedi Realist = Geek?

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/1-general-discussion/13837-definition

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/1-general-discussion/26519-mystic-vs-jedi

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/1-general-discussion/30057-lessons-from-left-field

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/1-general-discussion/30510-and-suddenly-it-hit-me

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/1-general-discussion/30839-really-fabulous-article-about-purpose

Under Living the Jedi Way – (15 pages deep) – again, listings from oldest to newest

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/4254-what-do-you-see-as-the-role-of-the-jedi-in-the-world-now-and-future

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/3837-purpose-of-the-jedi?limitstart=0

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/8075-jedi-definition-and-core-values

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/1706-jedi-philosophy

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/6287-the-right-to-claim-the-name-jedi

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/9618-my-thoughts-on-what-a-jedi-is-and-what-their-purpose-is-in-our-world

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/8108-misconceptions-of-the-jedi-path

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/13028-can-a-soldier-be-a-jedi

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/15565-why-jedi

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/14735-your-jedi-identity

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/13346-jedi-realism-in-your-own-words

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/30005-walking-the-walk

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/30364-so-why-jedi

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/30592-what-makes-a-jedi-different

instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/7-living-the-jedi-way/31120-what-is-a-jedi

^^^^^^^^

The last one there being the post that started me looking around.

And, "Lessons out of Left Field" isn't about 'why jedi' but more about considering how one can look at life. Plus, it is a 'fun one'... and we should all have fun once in a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

I forgot this bit buried in the long, multi-paged thread "Is Jediism a Religion" --

I offered up this bit during the discussion:

ABC was an easy mnemonic in a class I once took.

But, for the sake of discussion I say let us use a better formula which can describe the Jedi Realist view.

EMC

A Jedi Realist Envisions a transformed world;
A Jedi Realist Maps the way there;
A Jedi Realist Challenges people to be inner-directed and authentic in their spirituality.

EMC

Take E.
For the most part, the Jedi Realist envisions a future in which people respect the interdependent web of all existence as well as the inherent worth and dignity of every person that dwells within it. We envision the spread of 'Jedi communities' which support a free and responsible search for truth and meaning in an empowering context of mutual acceptance and encouragement. Along those lines, the Jedi Realist envisions world community, grounded in democracy, in which there is peace, liberty, and justice for all.

Now for M.
“M” maps out the way forward by naming specific physical, mental, and spiritual disciplines which, if practiced regularly, will enable us to help make the Jedi Realist's future oriented-vision come true. These disciplines include study, service, generosity, and inner-development practices like meditation or lucid dreaming to name a few. Each of these is an integral part of the map.

Finally, C.
“C” stands for “challenge”. Jedi Realists do not so much convert as challenge.
We challenge people to face up to the fact that our transformed vision of the world is not guaranteed; we must work hard to make it so. We challenge people to be willing to grow and change over time, even if it takes us into places of chaos and messiness and grief.

We challenge ourselves to trust life and 'know' that it is worth living, even in the worst of times. We challenge ourselves to reject parroting other people’s ideas or pronoucments and to be authentic and inner-directed in what we believe and value. We challenge ourselves to connect with the Force that is within each and all and, out of this experience of wonder and awe, to heal our world and make it whole.

EMC

Not that far from E=MC2

Not that I am claiming to be anywhere near the level of Einstein but, one can look at it and think how following EMC is 'one way' which leads to some incredible personal 'power' and energy... the Force without and within!

Perhaps a bit 'high and lofty goals' but, it sounded right 4+ years ago during the discussion. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Frost

• Katie (StormyKat)

Holy Tardis of Galifrey that's a lot of reading! :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

What?

Suppose you could 'just' read the dictionary... it has all the words to all the books in the world. ;)

(as for "a lot" -- it wasn't THAT much and after all, I did promise you a list.)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds