Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Jedi way: what can we do? - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Jedi way: what can we do?

• Anirac Morgan
  • Anirac Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 109

Anirac Morgan created the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

Some Jedi work in a professions that help them "be Jedi" to a larger extent every day. Be that nurses, police officers, psychologists, etc. They have found an occupation in which they can both earn a living and do their duty as Jedi in their everyday life. I think this is something that is on most Jedi learners minds, how can I be the Jedi I want to be in life? Other than treating others well, where's my bigger purpose? How do I get to a place where I can make a difference for people the way I would like as a Jedi and a fellow human being?

What can we do?

I work in an office, basically pushing paper each and every day. This isn't exactly a life-altering occupation; there's limited what good I can do through it, other than basic mundane stuff like cheer up my colleagues and give good service to the members calling the office.

So, what can I do?

There's an online international forum for people with mental health issues. I used to volunteer there as a moderator, way back. Did that for about 2 years or so, but after a major burn-out I left it completely, until some time late 2014 when I finally picked up the courage to contact the admin of that page to apologize for the way I left. It was a door ajar in my mind, one I couldn't ever quite close. Talking with her and clearing stuff up was good, so now I feel like I can go back there. I have been visiting that forum a few times to give support, advice and some caring words to others who are now in a position I once was in. Being able to relate to their issues there's good I can do there, experiences I can lean on that might serve others and help them out. Most importantly, people who are in pain need more than anything to be seen! That people reach out to them and let them know they are not alone.

This I can do. And I am not actually bad at it either, I used to be pretty good at helping people in a crisis. This isn't meant to be self-braggery, but being aware of our strengths can help us figure out what we can do to make a positive difference for someone, contribute in a positive way that can be of aid to others. And that's what we're trying to accomplish as Jedi, isn't it?
I am empathic, but almost more importantly: I have a huge bag of negative experiences and illness behind me. This isn't bad, because I can turn what I have been through into something positive, into a deeper understanding that can help me aid others. In this way, my negative experiences become a way for something positive to happen. So I use it as best as I can, to better understand and help other people.

Figuring out "What can I do?"; I think it's a good start. We all have our unique individual path and it's up to us to ensure that our path is a good one. I think the path of the Jedi is about compassion and service, but we're all individuals with our strengths and weaknesses, and we'll not all be walking the path the exact same way. The way we serve won't always be the same.

Further down the line I would like to quit my paper pushing job, perhaps find an occupation where I get to help people for a living. That would be good, but for the moment my economy don't really leave room for me quitting my day job. That doesn't mean I shouldn't do what I can do now to ensure I walk the Jedi path and give a positive contribution of aid and help wherever I can give it.

So, what else can we do?

(Inspired by the Everyday Jedi - Michael Keady)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, shea (shlomit), Hunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1500

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

Many thanks for starting this Anirac Morgan. It is very true that we, at least not always, need to somehow focus on the big things. Not every one of us can or would like to be a police officer, a psychologist, a traditional healer, a judge or something along this line. But we all can contribute by using our abilities, by using what we are good at to help others to benefit from those things.

For my person this means that after my Sabbatical Year I will focus on two things which are important to me and in my life and at which I feel I can really contribute to society to make a difference for others and help them to better their lives. These two things are Feng Shui, which I’m studying since 2013, and martial arts.
With Feng Shui my idea is to turn it into a business and become self-employed after my Sabbatical Year. Not in one big step but step by step. I honestly feel that this is what I love to do and how I can contribute, through my gained knowledge, to other people’s life in a positive way.
In martial arts my idea is that – hopefully I can finally pass the 5th Dan test when in Japan – as soon as I got the “status” of Shidoshi (meaning teacher), that I will found my own Dojo and teach people there in the arts of Bujinkan but also in the stuff which goes hand in hand with or parallel to it.

In a more general way, I feel that everyone of us has this potential to find something through which one can contribute in a positive way to the society one lives in and even if it would “only” mean to be the best person one can be by being helpful and polite to others.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: shea (shlomit), Anirac Morgan, Hunter

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

It is always tough for the 'care givers' since they seldom have someone else to turn to when *they* need a little TLC. (or a shoulder and ear to unload to.) It's why so many burn out early on. Having the people and/or 'tools' in place so you can unload / unwind / recharge is as important for you as the 'helper' as for those you wish to help -- a broken helper can't help others if they can't help them self.

"only pushing papers" -- spreading positive energy; smiles, good words; contact -- ever so slight... is sometimes all it takes to make another's day brighter -- to 'know' they aren't invisible in this big old world. Your 'vibes' can bring up others just by being 'up' rather than hating every minute of every day and spreading *that* kind of 'unjoy'.

Yes, not everyone is a police person or fire or rescue or military or... but then again, does it always have to be 'the big action'?

So often when people think of what a hero is, they think of fictional characters like Batman, Superman, the X-Men, or those 'real life heroes' as noted above. People who help in a crisis and are out there to save the world and make it a better place. Here at the IJRS, we salute those who 'above and beyond the call' to help others through their time and efforts -- we should also note that a hero is someone who makes a difference day to day in the lives of multiple people, or even just one person. A hero is someone who can be counted on, and is respected. A hero is someone who is trustworthy and who is there to listen to someone who is having problems and give advice when asked. A hero may not make noticeable differences in the world, but what a hero does do is make differences in the lives of those around them, and do it solely because they care and not for what they could potentially gain from it. Notice a lightsaber is nowhere mentioned in those lines.

Now, the qualities I think a hero should possess are:
-Trustworthiness
-Honesty
-Accountability
-Unselfishness
-Loyalty
-Caring
-Loving
-Passionate

Again, an every day person can be a hero, even if it is just to one person.

You can pretty much replace the word 'hero' with 'Jedi' -- because isn't that how we should be -- heroic as an 'everyday' part of living this Jedi Life?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Anirac Morgan, Hunter, Frost

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

As a Jedi if someone asks you who is the most skilled Jedi. Think on this before answering. "Some Jedi see the spirit of the dark side and remove it before it takes shape, so their names do not get out of the house. Some Jedi see the dark side while it is still extremely minute and cure it. So their names don't get out of their neighborhood. As for others, they see the dark side after it has blossomed and defeat it then. Their names sometimes get out and are heard by everyone." As this shows, that the less time the dark side is allowed to grow. Then the less direct conflict is needed the better, in the sense that knowledge of the problem is key to the solution.

Often it is the pencil and paper pushers who while unheard of to the populace and general public, Yet as Kol said, being a beacon of kindness and light to others who are the most skilled Jedi among us.

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Anirac Morgan, Hunter, Frost

• Frost
  • The Force is my Ally
  • Thank you received: 22

Frost replied the topic: Re:Jedi way: what can we do?

It's important to remember that even at a mundane job, you have the ability to make a difference - to be a hero to somebody. When you wish you were somewhere else doing something different you end up missing the chances you have to be a hero. Live in the moment, think about the present. Thinking too much on what was or could be just ends up wasting the Now.

Be the best person you can be wherever you go. Some jobs may not be as glamorous as others but they all give you the potential to be a hero to somebody in some way.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
"Never allow yourself to believe you are acting alone"

It never gets easier. You just get better.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich replied the topic: Re:Jedi way: what can we do?

Every job is important, even as a pencil pusher, you do something that affects another. I am a Systems Admin at a local Health insurance company. My position allows me to make sure all the systems are working for those that help people with their health insurance needs. I may not be the care giver, or the phone jockey in customer service making someone feel better, but I am the one that allows those people to do their job and focus on the member needing the help. So its not glorious, it's often unseen, and vary rarely appreciated, it is a position that allows me to help others, by helping those that help them.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

• Thank you received: 26

Aslyn replied the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

That's an interesting question that you ask, but one that I almost feel to be mutually exclusive to our path as Jedi: I often hear people add 'Jedi' to the other titles or names they give themselves: 'Jedi Doctor', or 'Jedi Parent', or 'Jedi Doctor', and so on. I may as well walk around referring to myself as a Human, White Caucasian, Male Teacher. It might speak to certain categorisations that are true for me, but it doesn't do much to articulate who or what I am: even to call myself 'Jedi' does not do this, because that's as much something adopted as it is intrinsically part of me.

Being a Jedi isn't about what we 'do', but rather, about who we are: our every action should speak volumes in that regard. To act compassionately towards others is key, but also not to act without forethought for consequence, taking the longer view and acting in a manner that benefits others or minimises any harm that comes to light. A Nurse or a Doctor is no more of a Jedi than the guy who collects everybody's trashcans once a week: your job or your role doesn't define you as Jedi. It's an extension of you, an added layer, the same way your dress sense or your choice of words is: not you, but how people see you. There's plenty you can do to show yourself as a Jedi, but you don't need to go out of your way to act 'more Jedi'. That's an affectation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Anirac Morgan

• Anirac Morgan
  • Anirac Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 109

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Jedi way: what can we do?

I think this topic might have come off a little... not sure. This wasn't supposed to be about me, lol, but for everyone else to think about what applies to them. That said, I appreciate every response to it and all your thoughts.

Basically, I don't really have the full picture yet of who I am as a Jedi, nor do I feel I need to rush to get there. It's a path of discovery and learning, and I am still new walking it, to some extent. It doesn't concern me so much to be "a better Jedi" as it does being the best me I can possibly be, hence naturally also be a better Jedi by default. To be a better person and sow better things in life, to give as well as I can in the best possible way after my strengths and interests. We are all unique individuals, and we will all have each our set of strengths and interests, hence our way of giving and being will differ, yet be good the same, for those around us. I listed up what applies for me, and it's up to all of us to figure out what applies for us, and how we best live our lives as Jedi and human beings.

I guess I should have rephrased it somewhere, but I am kind of glad I didn't, because these are all valuable responses to the question as it was asked.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Aslyn, Johannes (Yoshio), Memnoich, Atticus and this user have 1 others thankyou

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds