Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The Jedi Trials - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The Jedi Trials

• Isaac Garcia
  • Isaac Garcia 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

Isaac Garcia created the topic: The Jedi Trials

The trial of skill, the trial of the flesh, the trial of the spirit, the trial of insight, and the trial of courage (no specific order).

I've experienced some of these trials already. Namely, the trials of spirit, flesh, and insight. It is my firm belief that one cannot be considered a Jedi Knight until each of the trials have been overcome.

To be a Jedi is to have overcome our personal dark side. We must persevere through physical or emotional pain. We must selflessly face danger to save those in need. A Jedi is a student of the force, and uses their knowledge and wisdom to find answers to riddles that elude others. A Jedi is a person who has realized their potential, and is a force to be reckoned with in combat.

The trials are that which define who can and cannot cut it as a Jedi Knight. They represent the challenges that a Jedi must be able to rise against and overcome for the rest of their lives.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: The Jedi Trials

You seem to have a very clear idea of what it means to be a Jedi. I'm curious, though, what you believe each of these trials represent. I can understand if you don't feel ready to give an explanation of how you overcame each of the ones you have faced.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isaac Garcia

• Isaac Garcia

Isaac Garcia replied the topic: The Jedi Trials

Without having a master to guide me, my only guide has been the force and master Yoda as my spirit guide. The trials have come of their own accord, I believe, by the will of the force.

The first for me was the trial of the spirit in the form of a psychedelic experience with mushrooms. I was with a group of friends and everything was fine at first, but suddenly I found myself unable to stand. I was entrenched in an ocean of what I can only describe as pure hatred. I felt at the time that the only way to keep my sanity was to absorb it and command it. The people around me found themselves at the mercy of my influence. Their moods shifted back and forth from anger to despair to catatonic. I then saw the look of horror on one of my friends faces and began to realize what I was becoming. I found that by calling on the pure cosmic energy of the Force I could dissipate the darkness that was consuming me. I laid down to rest, exhausted, and returned to sanity. My friends were alright, I begged their forgiveness. They were very understanding.

• Isaac Garcia

The second that I encountered was the trial of the flesh. It was a year ago that my now ex-girlfriend and I split up. We had been living together for several months and I had known that we were incompatible for some time but my pride and attachment kept me from letting her go. It was very painful, but eventually I realized that things would be much better for both of us in the long run if I let her go. I was right in the end. I've made more progress on my path, she found someone more compatible with her and we are both much happier.

The most recent trial was the trial of insight. A friend whom I work with needed an equation to change the gross profit percentage of any product to a specified amount. It took about an hour of algebraic calculation, but I found the right equation.

As I said, I have yet to face the last two trials, but I'm sure I'll know them when they come to me.
The trial of the spirit is a test of mastery over our inner demons. The trial of the flesh shows being able to do what is necessary even when it is painful. The trial of insight tests the ability to abstract ideas and exercise the power of your intellect.

The trial of skill is meant to show how much you've developed as a Jedi and your dedication to perfect your physical prowess. I would imagine a good trial of skill would be participating in a ninja warrior competition.

The trial of courage is by it's very nature dangerous. To be a Jedi is to sometimes put yourself in harms way to protect someone else. As Jedi, we have to be able to handle dangerous, even life threatening situations if it means saving lives. Perhaps being a volunteer firefighter would be a good example. The force will present this trial to me as well, when the time comes.

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: The Jedi Trials

Thank you for sharing. I would add that just passing trials does not make one a Jedi. If it were we'd just prepare people for trials instead of teaching an immense variety of knowledge, skill, and tools to students over the years. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isaac Garcia

• Isaac Garcia

Indeed, we wouldn't want to repeat the mistakes of public education.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: The Jedi Trials

Or law school. :lol:

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Isaac Garcia

Ha! Awesome.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds