Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - A Simple Question - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

A Simple Question

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor created the topic: A Simple Question

With a probably not so simple answer. But, I was thinking about it tonight.

Is it possible for a sociopath to be a Jedi?

This brings in a TON of ideas about what makes a Jedi. I think it's a worthy question to ponder. We often say that most people can be Jedi. Even if they are in wheelchairs. Even if they are mentally deficient in some way. Even if they are spiritually inept.

But, what about people with no desire to have compassion.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: A Simple Question

She's a successful law professor and a Sunday school teacher, with a host of family and friends. But her interpersonal calculus centers on how to manipulate and outmaneuver the many people in her life. Welcome to a world of ruthless cost-benefit analysis, charm, and grandiosity.

By M.E. Thomas, published on May 07, 2013

>> Psychology Today: Confessions of a Sociopath <<

COULD a sociopath become a Jedi? Probably.

They could use that intense drive and focus 'just' to do it. But, I seriously doubt they would find joy at faking the Jedi Life for long -- unless it was a means to mess with someone else. And still, once they had done what they had hoped, they would happily walk away and never swish a lightsaber again -- with no regrets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: A Simple Question

Well, I did think also about it. Some things they would do better just because they can do it while they are in this drive, as Kol already said.

This reminds me about a book I once read: The Wisdom of Psychopaths - Kevin Dutton

Apparently are psychopaths able to drop their heart rate. He had tot test this on a profession that's really dangerous. Because people with this disorder live for the moment and the kick of losing their own life. He (or someone) else tested this on minesweepers. What he saw was incredible. The heart rate from the average guys who worked there a few months was stable when they went in the field. More incredible, the heart rate from the more experienced guys just dropped.

All of this to say I think some people who are "bad" could do good things. But I think they need to have also some kind of experience with it, if not they probably will get bored.

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: A Simple Question

True enough.

As noted in the article I cited before, here is a woman who has a family (who she might sometimes want to throttle -- but does not) and a decent job being a lawyer and yet, considers most people 'things' or tools (or fools) who are typically beneath considering except when they are a target to toy with or to be used before tossing them aside once they are 'used'.

I think one could dredge up all kinds of examples of folks who 'lived quiet, church going lives with a family' -- who were also the ones chopping up people two blocks over on a regular basis.

Could *that* kind of person be a Jedi under the very hand wavy criteria we tend to present? Sure.
Now, if they were entered into a Jedi Temple (as in the movies) at the age of -- say, five years old -- and brought up exclusively in that temple (total monitoring) environment? Heck, maybe Palpatine would be a padawan --- BUT --- there were plenty of 'real Jedi' who trained to Knight-hood or beyond who later broke with the Order due to disagreements of one kind or another. A couple went totally over to the dark side. So... who knows.

If you really look at the prequel movies, good old little Anakin had something like 9 or 10 of the 'typical' 13 signs of being a sociopath by the time movie #2 was complete. More so by the end of #3. So, ya... he made it through 'Temple Boot Camp' but kind of failed once he was in the world at large. Then again, it was all during war time and his training differed from all the others since he started 'older'.

Even more so for Luke Skywalker. He got zippo 'temple training' and was pretty much trained to go up against Darth Vader -- period. It was only when he went beyond what Yoda and ghosty Obi Wan taught did he surpass their teachings. And -- if you are a fan of the Extended Universe stories -- he learned much more once he started travelling to all those places to meet other Force users from other 'traditions' (good and bad). And even he went 'dark' in one story arc but 'came back' (he has to... he's our core hero!!!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsjêbbe

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: A Simple Question

A true sociopath has no compassion or empathy, so no, they could not become a Jedi. That complete disconnect from the emotional self just wouldn't work. And while many are fooled by sociopaths, using the Force would allow us to see who is truly a sociopath.

Now, there are people casually called sociopaths who aren't. They could potentially become Jedi but would have a hard time on the emotional/spiritual side and would have to work incredibly hard in this area. Those of us on the asperger's spectrum understand that to some extent already.

Anakin was not a sociopath. He was very capable of love and emotion, but he was very damaged by his childhood. So while he exhibits signs of sociopaths, there is really only one key aspect of sociopathy, with everything else being the result of the one. The inability to love and connect emotionally creates all of the other signs. A true sociopath is born, not made except in extreme circumstances where something basically 'breaks' inside their brain removing their ability to connect emotionally, in my opinion. However, the fact that we see Vader brought back from the brink shows he isn't a true sociopath in the end, just an incredibly damaged person.

This is why I distinguish true sociopaths, who are not able to change and bring about that connection, vs those who are very broken who can be carefully trained and healed to have the emotional connection needed to become a Jedi.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds