Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Christmas Service - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Christmas Service

• Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
  • Tai-Da Vrikaurvan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 48

Tai-Da Vrikaurvan created the topic: Christmas Service

As I am sure we are all aware Christmas will soon be upon us and I am sure we are all looking forward to the good times it brings. I usually spend the day at my mothers house but my second year with the little one the day will be split at half the day at our house with her folks and then the night at my mothers house with a 4 course meal with all the lovely sides and puddings.

However whilst we enjoy the day with our families and exchange gifts over a warm fire there are many people who are going to go without. There are many homeless people on the streets who on Christmas aren't going to have that warm fire, tree, gifts or even a one course meal. Christmas will not be that same happy day that we know.

As Jedi we are of service to others and I feel this is a great opportunity to help those who are not as fortunate. So I ask you to hear me out.

I am going to create small boxes with a few "gifts" inside to give to the homeless and I ask that you join me in this Christmas service. A couple of bottles of water, some fruit, a bar of chocolate, some hand warmers if its cold, some sandwiches anything you would be willing to go out your way to provide. I am not asking you to go and spend a lot of money on this and even if you can only make one box for one unfortunate person that is good enough. This can be as cheep as you can make it and I am sure the homeless who will go without will greatly appreciate not just the gift but the fact you gave them your time to help out.

If anyone is willing to join me on this Christmas service that would be excellent. We can create a small facebook group to round up some people to do what we can to make this Christmas a little better for those who don't have much to celebrate.

May the Force be with you.
Tai

Jedi Apprentice Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
Apprentice to Jedi Phoenix
Former Apprentice to Streen Ynr

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa

"Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can't open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Christmas Service

I love this idea! I usually do my Christmas "service" through Toys for Tots. I love your idea of little gift boxes though.

Were you thinking of giving them directly to the homeless individuals or go through a local organization?

:thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tai-Da Vrikaurvan

• Tai-Da Vrikaurvan

Tai-Da Vrikaurvan replied the topic: Christmas Service

Thank you for the kind words.

I was thinking on making these boxes (still looking for ideas of what to put in) and wrapping them in Christmas paper, and going into the town and handing them out personally. I think a personal touch gives it that little extra touch. Organisations are great but I think going out and giving them adds that extra touch and it means that the homeless can see that there are people out there who do care and want to make their life a little easier.

― Mother Teresa

"Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can't open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink."

• Tai-Da Vrikaurvan

Here is the link to the facebook group I created for the Charity.

www.facebook.com/groups/christmasserviceforhomeless/

― Mother Teresa

• Thank you received: 1500

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Christmas Service

Your idea reminds me on similar ones we do have here around at that time but, obviously, without the extra touch of personality by handing them over face to face.
In the supermarket where I do my usual shopping You can buy bags which already include everything someone would need for making it for a better day.
Beside that there is this action which is called “Christmas in a shoe box” which means to fill one shoe box with little presents for a not so gifted child.
So, thank You for bringing this topic us and to the attention of all of us.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Christmas Service

I have been thinking about this so much the last day or two. There are so many things that could be put into the boxes.

Depending on how many boxes one makes a $5 gift certificate to a fast food joint could be really nice. The person could then get a hot meal or a cup of coffee.

Some $1 gloves could be nice too.

I am so excited about this project, but also a little anxious. I am not sure where I would hand the boxes out. I don't make it into the downtown area of the city much, which is where the homeless are much more obvious. I do see people panhandling around the express way ramps, but that is only one or two people. I also have this skepticism about panhandlers, I have seen people panhandling who are not actually homeless/down on their luck etc, and as such have built up this skepticism about people I see on the streets....which makes me think that I would personally feel more comfortable either working with a food pantry or other organization what works with the homeless.

• Tai-Da Vrikaurvan

Thank you both for replying and I know what you mean Stormykat with those who aren't actually homeless. For Christmas I am just going to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone has to pretend to be homeless to get money they I would say that is in itself a cry for help.

I have been talking with my other half Melissa and we have a little plan set up for what we are going to do.

Next week we are going to go around some charity shops and pick up some items they can make use of for a cheep price. Things like a blanket or sleeping bag., warm scarfs etc.

We are going to pick up a few for actual gifts.

We are going to do that gift in a shoe box idea but with for the homeless with snacks, warm socks etc. Essential a care pack.

Then on the day we go into the town to hand them out we are going to go into MacDonalds and buy 1 cheeseburger and chips which is only £2 for the homeless people we give to. I am cutting back on my spending so I can save up some money to feed them a nice hot meal.

I know not everyone can go to this length and I don't expect everyone to follow the same idea. All I aim to do is get a group of people together to make a difference and help out the homeless, the way in which they do so is not the important part.

Thank you guys for getting involved with me, I have had little interest so far from people so it is good to see some are hungry to help so to speak.

― Mother Teresa

• Thank you received: 7

Tzondraa replied the topic: Christmas Service

It's a great idea, I will try to do the same in my town!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tai-Da Vrikaurvan

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds