Harmonizing with the Force

• Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
  • Tai-Da Vrikaurvan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 47

Tai-Da Vrikaurvan created the topic: Harmonizing with the Force

Here is a recent write up of a Lesson I did with Phoenix. It was based on the concept of energy work and the manipulation of energy. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Harmonizing with the Force

I would speculate that the majority if not all Jedi realists strive to live in harmony with the Force. The flow of the Force is something I would say Jedi strive to be in tune with. The focus in much of Force work is on the manipulation and this is where one of the problems lies. There is an element of manipulation that many get wrong. That element is that it suggests that the manipulator is separate from that in which they are trying to manipulate. When we are working with the self there is an element of control over how we can shape ourselves. We do not manipulate ourselves because we already have that level of control. The Force is the foundation on which a Jedi is built and to be in harmony with the Force is a key element in training.

When you expand your awareness your personal Force comes into contact with other personal Forces of other beings, and as that movement goes inward you feel the connection of it all through the unifying Force. That the all is actually within the self, the connection to the all is within. That unifying feeling in the moment is you connecting to all things, becoming one with all things. When you connect with the all you do not need to actively move it around you simply flow with it. The Force is everything and to be in harmony with the Force is to be in harmony with the all and the unification of the all. The flow of the Force is like a flowing stream, it does not try to move the rocks or try to change the direction of the flow. The water just flows through and around without any resistance to the path. Yes the water may indeed wear down the rock and the rock will eventually turn to nothing but that is just the nature of all things.

The Force is no different to this. To be in harmony with the Force is to be like the flow of water, not to force the water to flow or to change the flow but rather become a part of it. When you become a part of it or one with it you remove that element of separation because it becomes a part of you. It becomes an extension of your being and so that unification brings forth a harmony. You are no longer separate things or perceiving it as separate things. Water has no thought of good and bad, nor does it have a capacity to care, the water just is. When you try to move the rock most people separate themselves from it and so it will not move. To move the rock it must become a part of you, an extension of you. The key to harmony with the Force is to flow with the natural cycles and the natural order of things. To flow with what is without trying to change the direction of the flow.

When working with the Force the goal is to become one with it. To feel the Force within it and connect, harmonize with it. This is the nature of what I feel it means to be a Jedi. To harmonize with the Force, connect with it and become one with it. The goal of many Jedi is harmony and that is portrayed not just in the teachings of Jedi but in the Jedi code its self. There is no chaos there is harmony. With that level of separation you cannot connect fully with the Force as you break the connection with it and in doing so you also break the harmonization. To work with the Force you must become that which you wish to move so to speak. You must become the flow of the Force and let the nature of the flow be the guide.

Jedi Apprentice Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
Apprentice to Jedi Phoenix
Former Apprentice to Streen Ynr

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa

"Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can't open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Isaac Garcia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25

Archmaras Tyden replied the topic: Harmonizing with the Force

If you only go with the flow does it not keep you from effecting it? What if the flow of the force is being effected by the dark side? Do you just go with it? I would assume not, so at what point does being one translate into going with it. If you only let the force guide your actions would you no longer be able to move your own body unless it's the way the force "decides" it?

I know these questions seem aggressive, but they are not intended this way, they are simply the only way I know to pose the questions I've come across in attempting this practice and I am genuinely looking for answers.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1773

Kol Drake replied the topic: Harmonizing with the Force

Should You Go with the Flow?
A Tufts psychiatrist reflects on the wisdom behind an overused saying
By Ronald Pies -- a clinical professor of psychiatry at the School of Medicine
May 29, 2014

You’ve heard it a thousand times: “Go with the flow.” For many, this well-meaning advice has become a kind of pop psychology cliché, a mental bumper sticker. Properly understood, the message is one of the most profound in the entire corpus of religious and spiritual literature. But “go with the flow” can all too easily become an excuse for apathy and indifference. How do we apply the phrase wisely?

The idea of going with the flow finds strongest voice in the Taoist, Buddhist and Stoic traditions. Taoism (or Daoism) is an ancient Chinese philosophy associated with the semi-mythical figure Laozi. Tao is usually translated as “way” or “path,” but it really represents the mysterious, ineffable foundation of all being. The central teaching of Taoism is wu-wei. This, too, is difficult to translate, but it is usually rendered as “non-straining” or “effortless action.”

A Taoist practitioner, Elizabeth Reninger, nicely defines wu-wei as “a state of being in which our actions are quite effortlessly in alignment with the ebb and flow of the elemental cycles of the natural world.” (We see debased versions of this teaching in popular sayings like “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” — or, even lower on the spiritual scale, “find some tequila.”)

The core idea of Taoism — as well as of Zen Buddhism, which Taoism influenced—is that of not forcing or grasping one’s way through life, but instead living life spontaneously, in harmony with the natural order of things. The ancient Stoics followed the similar principle of living in harmony with the “Logos” — roughly, the underlying rational order of the universe. How might this philosophy play out in our daily lives?

When my mother became seriously ill, I made many trips over great distances to help take care of her. It was nearly impossible to predict when I might be needed and when I would have to cancel professional or family plans. I often found myself ruminating on the stark uncertainty and terrible unfairness of my situation, sometimes giving in to pangs of self-pity.

But a quote from the Stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius always came to my rescue: “Nothing will happen to you which is not conformable to the nature of the universe.” We are flesh and blood, our loved ones get sick, we take care of them. Marcus’s teaching became a sort of mantra for me—and was my way of going with the flow.

So far, so good. But what does a morally responsible person do when confronted with prejudice, injustice or hatred? Should one go with the flow, saying “Oh, well, that’s life”? What would have happened if the world had gone with the flow when Hitler threatened the annihilation of Western values and civilization? How do the Taoists, Buddhists and Stoics reply to the presence of violence or genocide in the world? In short, isn’t going with the flow a gigantic and unconscionable cop-out in the face of evil?

Philosophers throughout the ages have given their answer: we should not go to pieces in the face of evil, nor should we emulate the cruelty of our oppressors — we must do what we can to oppose injustice. We see this teaching played out in the great traditions of nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience. We see it in the lives of Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, as well as the Buddhist monks of Chinese-occupied Tibet.

But are these not examples of people who went against the flow? Yes, in the narrow sense that they acted against the flow of ignorance, tyranny or bigotry. But when the Taoists, Buddhists and Stoics speak of going with the flow, they have in mind the great river of nature and reason, the underlying order of the universe. As Marcus Aurelius put it, “All things are woven together and the common bond is sacred . . . for there is one Universe out of all . . . one substance and one law, one common Reason of all intelligent creatures.”

The sages instruct us to accept with equanimity the reality of evil in the world, but not its sovereignty; and to accept that while cruelty is a part of life, it is not a part of our common bond as intelligent human beings. Yes, we do our best to go with the flow — but not with the torrent of injustice.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Archmaras Tyden

A good philosophical lesson, but would you please translate it to a practical one for me? Specifically in how we use the force?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1353

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Harmonizing with the Force

That might be very difficult for anyone to answer as there might be a lot of, more or less, very personal approaches to this and all of them are, I think, based on personal experiences.

So, how do we use the Force?
It depends on for what one want to use the Force. Is it for healing, for getting answers or guidance or “just” for centring and getting energised again? All of these topics might make it necessary to find different approach to them and there is not one right way but only ways which work for single individuals and ways which don’t.
For me much of it is about understanding and learning to understand myself, what are my triggers what does make me want the things I want and make me do the things I do. Understanding this, understanding one’s self and learning to understand one’s feelings and triggers is, for me, what finally makes it possible for me to use the Force “to go with the flow” or in other words, when one is in harmony and balance with one’s self it is very likely that what feels right is right and what feels wrong is wrong. Maybe not necessarily for everyone but for sure for the one who needs to make a decisions, needs to make a move right in this moment.

I’m not sure if this helps at all but what I want to say with this is, that through experiences, through studies and putting what one has learned into praxis one becomes more and more able to understand what it means to align with the Force and go with the flow.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

So you're saying it's a right vs wrong as opposed to playing puppet to the force?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

The Force is not quite 'like' a Magic 8-Ball... shake it and ask a question and it will tell you an answer. mmm well... most times it's not. Sometimes it DOES answer... and not always with 'Future Hazy' or 'Try Again'. Sometimes it is repeated thwacks to the side of the head with the proverbial two by four... trying to get your attention.

Let's take this to the "wu wei level" -- wu wei meaning "effortless action" in Chinese. It is a concept derived from Taoism, an ancient philosophical, ethical and religious tradition that originated in China 2000 years ago.

Wu wei -- pronounced 'ooo-way' -- has similarities to the concept of flow, that state of effortless performance sought by athletes, but it applies to a lot more than sports. Wu wei is integral to romance, religion, politics and commerce. It is why some leaders have charisma and why business executives insist on a drunken dinner before sealing a deal.

Wu wei is a complicated concept that is perhaps best explained by describing a stream flowing down a mountain. The stream is not consciously trying to do anything, but it is still active. Even when the stream encounters obstacles, it adjusts effortlessly and keeps flowing forward. If we can be like the mountain stream, then we will find that life is decidedly less stressful. (( and no, this is not 'about' water 'just' being pulled by gravity so it *has to* go downhill... we are talking a philosophical stance; not a scientific analysis here. ))

The Taoists believed that we cannot live uniform and preconceived lives. They believed that a person would exemplify his or her best qualities by acting naturally, instead of in accordance with propriety. Psychological science suggests that the ancient Chinese philosophers were genuinely on to something. Particularly when one has developed proficiency in an area, it is often better to simply go with the flow. Paralysis through analysis and overthinking are very real pitfalls that the art of wu wei was designed to avoid.

In essence, follow your heart, be yourself and trust your instinct.

When we try too hard we often come off as unauthentic, and people trust us less as a consequence. Likewise, overthinking can lead to immobility and a sense of helplessness. When we overanalyze situations, we become trapped in the hypothetical scenarios we have manufactured in our minds. We can avoid all of this by reacting in the moment, and accepting that not everything is completely in our control. This is all easier said than done of course, but like anything worth doing, it takes practice.

There is a time for critical thinking and analysis. NOT when a rock is hurtling toward your face. Then, it's time to 'trust the Force' and MOVE. Think about the rock, it's intended trajectory, it's launch parameters, etc. AFTER you are safely out of the impact zone. AND, let's face it.. if you spend ALL your time over analyzing EVERY bloody thing / action you do (or consider doing), you are gonna burn out super fast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

If I 'let the Force control me'... am I just a puppet?
What is 'right' and what is 'wrong'?

Well, the 'right/wrong' discussion has libraries full of opinions. We as a society decide on rules & regulations & laws which point out and/or dictate what is considered 'right' or 'wrong'. And, if you believe in 'free will', then you know the choice is yours... to follow the 'rules of society' or to go against all that and end up 'fighting the system'. Sometimes doing the 'right thing' is not always the proper thing. Sometimes the 'wrong way' produces a 'right outcome'... though that is usually decided long after the fact that 'actions were taken'. HUGE philosophical pie to nibble on.

Re: puppets

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

A sentiment attributed to the theologian, Reinhold Niebuhr. There is more to this plea than a desire for serenity when faced with tumultuous times. Niebuhr's quote hints at the idea of Locus of Control (LOC), the extent to which people believe they have control over circumstances and events in their life.

Basically, those who have an "internal" LOC are more likely to feel that their actions make a difference.
Rather than sitting idly by and letting things happen, they are proactive; they feel that they can change the course of their life based on the actions they take and the decisions they make.

Those with an "external" LOC are more likely to feel like victims of life's ups and downs.
Their life, it seems, will always be at the mercy of outside forces (like destiny, luck - good or bad, or other uncontrollable factors), and there is nothing they can do about it. This often leads to a passive, defeatist and, let's face it, pretty grim view of life. As Homer Simpson put it (in a misguided and unsuccessful attempt to cheer up his children), "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'."

When we try to become 'One with the Force'... we are not giving up all control of our life to some unseen, controlling entity or 'spirit'. The Force is part of the fabric of the Universe. One might say, energetic material which is part of the Tapestry of Life. Our life... one thread among billions... is part of that tapestry. Our choice of actions determines which 'way' our thread will run... parallel to others; intertwined with those we love; running at right angles to 'the flow' of the crowd.

Is the Force 'God'?
I tried to imagine a good illustration to explain this. Imagine GOD/All-That-Is is a mega-watt light... shining and giving off Light so bright that to look at it (or touch it) would blind you and turn you to ashes. Now imagine a 'wall' that is nothing but holes. (like peg board). That 'wall' is the separation of 'God Space' from our 3-D space reality we currently live in. With all those 'holes' in the wall, we can't touch God (we are protected from becoming ash) and we can't *directly* look upon the Source (so we don't go blind) BUT, the Light still shines through all those holes. That Energy comes through and merges into the tapestry of energies which we define as Life. We float on a sea of All-That-Is-ness.

There are 'tendencies' in that sea. Some might call it 'a flow'. Certain things are inevitable. Some are uncertain. Each choice we make determines which 'outcome' might arise. Darn that whole 'free will' / choice thing.

Is 'going with the flow' giving up choice and free will?
Nope. When we actually mesh with the Force / go with the Flow, we are tapping into greater forces... which oddly have connections to 'us'. Having an empathy / intrinsic connection to Nature (and the Force) allows us MORE choices; MORE freedom; Better understanding of what is going on around us at any given moment.

It's part partnership; part apprenticeship; part explorer-ship.
The Force can't control us... though we can embrace the Force and have it empower us in certain ways. It is not 'our power' but A power we can all tap into and use... for 'good or ill will'... if we take the time to understand ourselves and the Force.

mmmm
Still not totally clear.
A lot of words... not sure it is hitting the nail on the head for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Archmaras Tyden

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds